907ie cam belts change

discussions specific to the 907IE
AL

907ie cam belts change

Post by AL »

I have become the proud owner of a 1992 907ie just two weeks ago.It has only done 11,200mls. so will soon need the cam belts changing, I am intending to do this myself. Does anyone have any tips on carrying out this operation?
cagiva905
year: 0

Post by cagiva905 »

Not too difficult:

Take bodywork and tank etc. off, remove belt covers (dunno if you need to remove frame parts for this).
Slacken belt tensioners, best is to remove them completely (2 bolts each, 1x pivot, 1x tension lock).
Remove belts (this can be a bit of a hassle, to get them over the pulleys, but no need to spare the old belts :D ).
Make sure timing marks are set correctly and put new belts on one by one). the driving pulley can be turned by putting the bike in gear (the higher the easier) and rotating the rear wheel by hand. Remove spark plugs for eliminating compression force.
Put tensioners back in position.
For correct belt tension: put 5 mm allen wrench between the idler roller (NOT the tensioner roller) and the outside of the belt, push firmly on the belt and tighten tensioner bolts.
Put covers and the lot back on the bike. Put all left over bolts in the tank so they can flow to their original position :cool: .
When the belts are off, it is easy to check the valves as well, since the camshafts can be rotated freely without any force.

Good luck,

Michiel
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Also, not sure where you got your belts from, but make sure you get the belts with the red lettering, and not the white. White is the older (non-Kevlar braided) style - not as reliable. Not sure if yuo've ordered them, but if yuo've picked them up in person and get white, then you've got somebody just trying to clear out their stock. ;) Easy to remember, too: Ducati red! :laugh:

Good luck - it's a piece of cake, really.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750