Rev counter gears part# 066792160

discussions specific to the 907IE
h1a
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Rev counter gears part# 066792160

Post by h1a »

Hello.

Does anybody know the number of teeth on these gears, or have them easily accessible so you could count them for me?

Have got a lead for a set but need the numbers and i have put my bike in winter storage 400kms away...

All pasos uses the same part number, (part 13 in the picture).

Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Rev counter gears part# 066792160

Post by Mc tool »

The #13 , as pictured on my paso has 19 teath , as does the one on my SS , dunno about the other (cam ) gear
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
h1a

Post by h1a »

Thanks!!! saved me for a long travel. :thumbup:
h1a

Post by h1a »

Hello.

Bringing back this old topic, I am finally ready to fit the replacement gears and are surprised how loose the fit is on the camshaft,
you can easily slip it on and off with your fingers.
I thought this was supposed to be a press fit and are worried that it might be slipping on the shaft, but both the old and new gears are the same fit, Is this how it is supposed to be?

Håvard
samandkimberly
year: 1993

Post by samandkimberly »

h1a wrote:Hello.

Bringing back this old topic, I am finally ready to fit the replacement gears and are surprised how loose the fit is on the camshaft,
you can easily slip it on and off with your fingers.
I thought this was supposed to be a press fit and are worried that it might be slipping on the shaft, but both the old and new gears are the same fit, Is this how it is supposed to be?

Håvard
Don't worry, it gets clamped up tight when you tighten the timing pulley nut.

Sam
h1a

Post by h1a »

It is back together now and working as you said.
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

HI , My REVOLUTION COUNTER GEARS are not spinning when the engine is running .... Where can i find a Replacement ?

Also does anyone Know what other bikes Use the same set Up ? and what other Model of Bikes Are compatible...?
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

H20doctor wrote:HI , My REVOLUTION COUNTER GEARS are not spinning when the engine is running .... ?
:D is your timing pulley nut tight :) .....no shit! my rear cylinder cam pulley nut was loose when I got the bike , sworth a look. :)
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

H20doctor wrote:HI , My REVOLUTION COUNTER GEARS are not spinning when the engine is running .... Where can i find a Replacement ?

Also does anyone Know what other bikes Use the same set Up ? and what other Model of Bikes Are compatible...?
The carbed 750SS and 900SS use the same revcounter drive, but do what McTool suggests and check that timing pulley nut first.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

Where is this timing pully nut located
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

on the timing pulley :D If you remove the belt cover off the front (horizontal ) cylinder you will be able to see the cam belt goes around a pulley ( about 50mm dia ) , this is the cam pulley for that cylinder and there is a nut in the middle that not only attaches the cam pulley to the cam shaft ( with a key ) but when done up it clamps the tacho drive gear to the camshaft ( inside the motor ) . If tis nut is loose its possible that the camshaft wont drive that gear ( cam spins as usual but the gear , not being clamped to the shaft , does not spin at all or very slowly ). If it is loose I would want to check the condition of the keyway in the cam pulley , the shaft , and the key itself . Mine had flogged out all 3 and I had to get real sneaky to fix it without needing a 2nd mortgage . Giving the pulley a wiggle to see if its loose wont cut it , the best way for you would be to simply re-torque the nut correctly , and if you are able to further tighten that nut much more than 1/2 a flat Id assume it was loose ( check the keyways ).
I really believe that the reason my nut was loose was because the last owner left it loose , I met him at a rally and he wanked on about all the stuff he had done to the bike and, as time went by I began to realise the list of things he had "fixed " was pretty much the same as the list of things I had discovered that had been butchered ...............yeah , he was the original "penis fingers "
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

Mc tool wrote:on the timing pulley :D If you remove the belt cover off the front (horizontal ) cylinder you will be able to see the cam belt goes around a pulley ( about 50mm dia ) , this is the cam pulley for that cylinder and there is a nut in the middle that not only attaches the cam pulley to the cam shaft ( with a key ) but when done up it clamps the tacho drive gear to the camshaft ( inside the motor ) . If tis nut is loose its possible that the camshaft wont drive that gear ( cam spins as usual but the gear , not being clamped to the shaft , does not spin at all or very slowly ). If it is loose I would want to check the condition of the keyway in the cam pulley , the shaft , and the key itself . Mine had flogged out all 3 and I had to get real sneaky to fix it without needing a 2nd mortgage . Giving the pulley a wiggle to see if its loose wont cut it , the best way for you would be to simply re-torque the nut correctly , and if you are able to further tighten that nut much more than 1/2 a flat Id assume it was loose ( check the keyways ).
I really believe that the reason my nut was loose was because the last owner left it loose , I met him at a rally and he wanked on about all the stuff he had done to the bike and, as time went by I began to realise the list of things he had "fixed " was pretty much the same as the list of things I had discovered that had been butchered ...............yeah , he was the original "penis fingers "

ok , does anyone have an Image or schematic of the operation i am going to attempt, or is it the same image in post # !

thank you for your help
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

If you google something like "Ducati adjustable cam pulley " you'll probly get a vid showing how to adjust cam timing with adjustable pulleys , don't worry about the adjustable bit , the vid should show how to remove and replace the pulley and nut. To be honest , I get the feeling that your not that mechanical , and there are disasters ahead for the unwary .... like bent valves . Unless you really do have your head around the whole cam timing / piston to valve clearance thing I wouldn't recommend you get into it to much . Just take the cover off and give that nut a tweek as I say above :)
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

im mechanically inclined , i changed both belts on the bike back in May ... rebuilt the clutch , and switched out the Master clutch reservoir , handle , clutch piston ...etc..etc..etc ...
So i pulled the cover off today , looked at the front Cam , and Nut... it on there dam tight ... so I think i need to remove it from the top of the engine , where it has the one metric bolt holding it down... Most likely , the splines or gears are either broke, or stripped ... fig # 13 Above ....