Oil Leak

discussions specific to the 907IE
gra907ie

Oil Leak

Post by gra907ie »

Hi Everyone
I just joined this group but have had my '91 907 for 4 years. I live in Sydney Aust. The last 3 rides I have been on were magic! Nail through the rear tyre in the middle of nowhere (lucky I had my repair plugs!) Then one cell in my brand new battery collapsed also in the middle of nowhere (after hours of stuffing around found a dealer 100klm away who stayed open till we got there. On our way again with new battery). Then on my last ride the F#**@&g chain broke, just up the road from the middle of nowhere (only 2000 klm old and broke on a normal link- not the joining link). Anyway - smashed clutch slave cylinder and and chunks out of the rear side fairing and rear wheel, but my real problem is the oil leak which seems to be coming from between the l/h side engine cover and the gearbox right next to where the clutch push rod comes out. Cant see any cracks in the gearbox. My question is - Does anyone know of any hassels in removing the l/h side engine cover and reinstalling it. Are any special tools needed? I have purchased a clutch push rod oil seal and I am hoping this is the problem and nothing more serious
Thanks
Graeme :mad:
cagiva905
year: 0

Post by cagiva905 »

Hi Graeme,

Sorry to hear about that, breaking a chain always gives nasty (and often expensive) repair jobs. Last friday a friend of mine with a cagiva Elefant 900ie (almost identical engine) had the same, he'll be looking at swapping the engine casings unfrtunately.
Just removing the flywheel cover is not too much work. Disconnect the position and rpm sensors, unscrew all the bolts, and also probably take the water pump parts off (I'm not sure about this part, haven't got a water cooler myself). Also take the small cover in the middle of the flywheel cover off.
If everything is free, you have to pull the cover off, but the alternator will be pulling it back onto the magnetic rotor. I made a small special tool of a strip of Iron (5 mm thick) where I drilled 2 holes that match the holes of the small cover. If you than put a 10 mm socket onto the end of the cranckshaft and put the strip over it, slowly bolting it down with bolts in the 2 5 or 6 mm threads, you will be pulling the cover off.
Take good care to check the engine casing thoroughly for damage, most times when the chain brakes that part is damaged as well and repair will be difficult, if at all possible.

Michiel