Aftermarket clutch slave cylinders

discussions specific to the 907IE
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Aftermarket clutch slave cylinders

Post by paso750 »

looking around for clutch slave cylinders I`ve seen these ones. They reduce clutch lever effort and cost less than the original units (some used do cost more). They come with the adapter piston so they can also be fitted on Ducs pre 2000. Maybe someone is interested.

These are in the UK and look identical to the ones from MPL (which are sold for €99-140). The guy is constantly selling some. (His buy it now price is GBP90 and normal auctions have ended from 45-60)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item=3 ... _Auction=1

these are in the US
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-BILLET ... 5652f26df6

G.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Aftermarket clutch slave cylinders

Post by persempre907 »

Did you try it?
Do it really work so better than the stock one?
I'm starting to do some good work on my Pasos, so could be interested.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

yes, I did. I gave one to a friend of mine a couple of years ago and I`ve also ridden his bike. I guess it`s a matter of definition if it`s "better" or "so much better" but specially if you do longer rides you`ll notice the less effort as your hand will be less hurting. Friends told him it`s a girls` clutch now. :)
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

I like the ones made in the UK, but which one would fit the 851? :dunno:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

all of them. They will fit also on the 907ie. As mentioned in another thread Ducs pre 2000 had a shorter clutch push rod. Therefore you need to use the supplied adapter (short piston) you can see below.
This is btw the clutch slave cylinder from MPL which Stein Dinse sells for €148.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

looks like MPL recently had a small design change as the outer edge now has a different bezel.
Before they looked identical to those ones in the UK. I wonder who the actual manufacturer of these things is. I have one that says "MPL", another "CDC" and the ones on ebay are "Factory racing".

the ones on ebay

PSR almost the same, too
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/par ... ucati.html
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

thanks G, just put a bid on the black one...
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

missed out on the first auction, but just bought one for 55pound+shipping :beer:
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
nickta

Post by nickta »

Afternoon everyone.

One of the issues that came back with the 907 after it's holiday of 9 months was a dead clutch. The Clutch master was still full of fluid, but no pressure when the lever was pulled. I t bled out OK, and clutch was back, but has been slowly getting softer as time goes by. Pumping the lever daily keeps it all operational, but it is a bit of a pain. So first thoughts are to put a kit through the Master cylinder, replace the Slave cylinder and while going mad, replace the clutch line with a braided line. The Master cylinder kit is on the way, and both links in G's first post are still active. Was going to stump for the US version link, but the pictures show it only has one connection for the bleed valve and line connection. The 907 slave has 2, one for each. After looking through numerous parts lists, later clutch slaves use a dual purpose banjo bolt, that adapts a M6 bleed valve to it. Pretty much a dual purpose fitting.

The question is, do the billet slave cylinders come with this fitting? Has anyone purchased either of the above, and had all the bits and pieces to put it all together without having to run around like a blue a**ed fly trying to find the parts.

The other part I wouldn't mind putting through the clutch is the clutch repair kit, Part no.: 19520023B. This is the same part that is modified to suit the 750/906 with a roller skate bearing and removal of the seal. Again, has anyone changed this part in the clutch? Is it as simple as removing the slave cylinder, pulling out the old, and pushing in the new, or do you need the fingers of a brain surgeon to dismantle and reassemble?

Like always, all comments read and considered.

Cheers.

Nick.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Be sure the cylinder in the master cylinder is clean and has no marks otherwise the rebuild kit won`t work for long.
The clutch line is I think a braided line (unless it`s only braided as a heat protection for a rubber hose). I have my old one but won`t cut through it just to be certain ;)

Aftermarket clutch cylinders come w/o the fitting. If I knew I would have sent you one with the other bits. I ordered a few once for the master cylinders but now have radial pumps which have a bleeding nipple.
Why are they 4x as expensive in Australia (http://motociclo.com.au/products/banjo- ... d-m10-x-10) than in the UK (http://www.ebay.de/itm/Banjo-Bolt-Bleed ... 1584150239)? I guess you can find them cheaper. Note you`d need M10x1.0. (M10x1.25 is for jap bikes)
19520023B. Again, has anyone changed this part in the clutch? Is it as simple as removing the slave cylinder, pulling out the old, and pushing in the new, or do you need the fingers of a brain surgeon to dismantle and reassemble?
I assume we`re not talking about the 907ie anymore. I did and yes it`s simple.
I`d remove the cap from the clutch master cylinder, attach a large syringe to the bleeding nipple of the clutch cover and suck out the brake fluid. Then remove the cover from the bike. Close the bleeding nipple by hand, put the clutch cover on the table with the inner side up and put a towel over it. Hold your hand on the piston while with a compressor you blow air into the cover to pop the piston out. Keeping everything under an old rag or towel will stop the piston to fly through the garage and to spill the remaing brake fluid that`s in the cover all over.
Thoroughly clean the cylinder. I did this beginning of this week. As it didn`t look as good as I thought it should I sanded the cylinder carefully with 1200 and 2000 grit wet and the polished it with Autosol. (used brake cleaner to wash the remaining polish off and out of the channels)
When putting the piston back in apply some brake fluid on the pistons seal and push it back in (as straight as possible and don`t forget to reinstall the spring that`s behind the piston).

Removing a bearing from a (P750) clutch piston is really difficult but you won`t have to do that if you replace the whole thing. Sometimes the mushroom pin will sit tight in the piston, too. (Speaking about them. I wished there was someone who manufactured a couple. I could need one or two wink wink :truck: )
Pushing a new bearing into a new piston is easy.

The 906 clutch piston is totally different (http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7124) but can also be replaced with 19520023B. The 906 piston is easy to identify by its oil seal.
Attachments
DSCF0591.JPG
DSCF0591.JPG (211.68 KiB) Viewed 8592 times
DSCF1786.JPG
DSCF1786.JPG (48.34 KiB) Viewed 8592 times
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi G.

paso750 wrote:Why are they 4x as expensive in Australia (http://motociclo.com.au/products/banjo- ... d-m10-x-10) than in the UK (http://www.ebay.de/itm/Banjo-Bolt-Bleed ... 1584150239)? I guess you can find them cheaper. Note you`d need M10x1.0. (M10x1.25 is for jap bikes)
Its all put down to freight. The further you are away from anywhere important, the more it costs. Saying that, and allowing for exchange rates of the day, the Australia one isn't too bad when compared to somewhere like Stein Dinse. I will be checking with the local Ducati dealer tomorrow. That will be interesting.... While in the subject of thread sizes, while doing the research on this, while checking Stein Dinse, there replacement bleed nipples for the brakes and clutch for the Paso/907 have a thread size of M10*1.25. I don't think this is correct?
19520023B. Again, has anyone changed this part in the clutch? Is it as simple as removing the slave cylinder, pulling out the old, and pushing in the new, or do you need the fingers of a brain surgeon to dismantle and reassemble?
I assume we`re not talking about the 907ie anymore. I did and yes it`s simple.
Nope, still talking about the 907. The assembly fits in behind the Slave cylinder. It is what the slave bears down on. I was wondering if this just slips out when the slave is off, and then slip the new one in. Fair bet the one that is in the 907 has been there since day one. As it is a moving part, its more than likely due for replacement or at least a good clean. Was thinking it would be an idea to fit the rebuild kit while it was all apart.
I`d remove the cap from the clutch master cylinder, attach a large syringe to the bleeding nipple of the clutch cover and suck out the brake fluid. Then remove the cover from the bike. Close the bleeding nipple by hand, put the clutch cover on the table with the inner side up and put a towel over it. Hold your hand on the piston while with a compressor you blow air into the cover to pop the piston out. Keeping everything under an old rag or towel will stop the piston to fly through the garage and to spill the remaing brake fluid that`s in the cover all over.
Thoroughly clean the cylinder. I did this beginning of this week. As it didn`t look as good as I thought it should I sanded the cylinder carefully with 1200 and 2000 grit wet and the polished it with Autosol. (used brake cleaner to wash the remaining polish off and out of the channels)
When putting the piston back in apply some brake fluid on the pistons seal and push it back in (as straight as possible and don`t forget to reinstall the spring that`s behind the piston).

Removing a bearing from a (P750) clutch piston is really difficult but you won`t have to do that if you replace the whole thing. Sometimes the mushroom pin will sit tight in the piston, too. (Speaking about them. I wished there was someone who manufactured a couple. I could need one or two wink wink :truck: )
Pushing a new bearing into a new piston is easy.

The 906 clutch piston is totally different (http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7124) but can also be replaced with 19520023B. The 906 piston is easy to identify by its oil seal.
I saw the mushroom pin dimensions in the 750 FAQ's. Are they Stainless or mild steel?

And all the rest, getting there. But that is another story.....

Take it easy.

Cheers.

Nick.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Ah I see then it`s either a new clutch slave cylinder or a new piston for the old one.
If we`re talking about the 907ie replacing just the piston is even easier than on a P750/906 as there`s no bearing or mushroom pin. I`ve never done it but it must be. :)
while checking Stein Dinse, there replacement bleed nipples for the brakes and clutch for the Paso/907 have a thread size of M10*1.25
You were writing about the banjo bolt with bleeding nipple or did I get that wrong, too? The clutch banjo bolt is shown on the SD site (https://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/inde ... =ggg&lg=en) as M10x1.
There must be something wrong on the SD website if you look at the picture if the front brakes. They list three bleeder screws. All three replacement for #61240071A. One is M10x1, another is M8x1.25. Not sure how that would work. (don`t see a M10x1.25)

There were two types of mushroom pins for the P750/S/906 clutch. One was bronce. The other might have been mild steel.