907 ie service

discussions specific to the 907IE
Rogero
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

907 ie service

Post by Rogero »

Living over 50 miles from the nearest Ducati dealership, but with a good local notorbike garage who has looked after Jap and British stuff of mine has anybody any thoughts regarding servicing.

Any feedback would be welcome apart from " Do It Yourself" coz I won't!

Thanks in advance,

Roger
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

I guess I would call 'em and ask. Any shop worth it's name at least ought to understand the principles behind the desmo service, at least be familiar with the concept. There aren't any other examples of desmodromica in the motorcycle realm that I know of (Mercedes used desmodromic valve actuation in its late '50s SLK line; that's the only other instance I know of).

But if they haven't done it before ... methinks it'd be worth the 50m trip. It wouldn't be worth it to me to let some shop - unless you're already on really good terms with the mechanics - use your baby as their practice mule.

I refuse to bring my Ducs to the local Ducati shop, but there is a local garage I will bring them into when need be. The owner used to have a Paso, and I get the impression that when I do darken his doorway, it's always a somewhat bittersweet experience for him. ;) But - that's why I'll bring my wheels to him if it's something I don't want to do (and I do my own valve service). There was another shop in the area that sold Aprilia/Guzzi/Triumph/KTM - out of business now :( - that I trusted as well, since the owner had quite the collection of Ducatis himself. So there's where I draw the line: I won't bring my bikes to the only local "authorized" dealer, but I will entrust them to select few outside of myself - providing they're qualified (owners!). :D
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Got to agree with Faster here, My closest Ducati Dealer is 150km away but they will never get any business from me, I don't think they even know what a Paso is!!! :toofar: I have 2 great Ducati dealers that are 300+km either north or south, they do my stuff when needed but if it is minor & beyond me I trust my local dealer, they always consult my Workshop manual & the dealers that I use before they do anything so I feel I can trust them. I still don't think I would let them fiddle with the desmos or anything that is Ducati specific.

Make your local mechanic your newest best friend, it is worth it as they are dealing with what is to many of us our most prised possession (after our family of course but they are not really possessions are they). If they are in the business because it is their passion they will share your enthusiasm & treat her right for you :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Rogero

907 IE service

Post by Rogero »

Thanks for the comments guys. The 907 IE I've had for the last couple of months has become very quickly my favourite of all my bikes and I really want to keep her going as well as she is! She's been looked after my a Duke dealership in Manchester up until I acquired her but living in Cardiff it's a long way to pop in for a service!

I'll have a chat with my local guy but will also speak to Ducati Bristol, however Paso's do seem a world apart from the rest of the marque - which is why I like it so much!

Incidentally has anybody fitted bar mounted mirrors? With the wife on the back I can't see a thing behind me. And before she starts complaining it is the same with any pillion :laugh:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

"Rogero", doesnt Your wife have enough pretty legs ? I think, this "paso mirror problem" can be turn to good by thinking that way :lick:

Finnpaso
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

I hear you Rogero ... those Paso mirrors are fantastic for looking at my wife's knees when we're 2up. I'm certainly not complaining by any means, but no - other than her legs, there's not much else in those mirrors. :laugh: I don't think you'd have a problem fitting bar end mirrors though.

Personally, I like the Napolean "Barens" style - they're quite adjustable and very stable. I've seen them on ebay for $25/ea - there's an ebay shop that regularly has them for sale - speedwaysales is their name. Here's their ebay store

I just looked, and they actually have some up there now - click here for the auction
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

Cheers guys, but riding in the UK I "kneed" to know what's behind me, especially police cars!

Thanks for the tips, I had bar end mirrors on an old Bonneville and found I kept clipping cars when I was nipping between lanes!

I'll let you know what transpires!
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

What happened to the dealer in Cardiff? Used to be one on I think North Road, part of the old Porsche dealership. At least it used to be there when I used visit the Porsche site for work a couple of years back
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

Merlin garage used to sell Porshe cars and for a short while had a Ducati franchise - sadly both gone. Hence my enquiry but you have a good memory, but wouldn't recognise that part of North Road now all new apartments and student accomadation blocks!

Even the pub has changed it's name!