Clutch Mod. "Thank you Donaldoduck!"

discussions specific to the 907IE
st2sam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Clutch Mod. "Thank you Donaldoduck!"

Post by st2sam »

Donaldoduck,
I'm not sure if your still a 907ie owner or frequent this site but I just completed your clutch mod and I gotta say, it works fantastic!

My clutch was so loud you couldn't hear the exhaust, it actually rattled so bad it made noise even when the motor was freewheeling down the highway! :shock:

Your video was also right on the money, my clutch sounds exactly the same as yours. Thanks for the pictures too... :thumbup:

I still have my Ducati rattle but at a tolerable level, awesome.
I highly recommend this mod. :thumbup:

Oh, and rather than start a new thread I installed my tachometer cable from a 1997 900ss today, works like a charm,
thank you Derek for the info and especially for posting the correct part number.

My 907ie, at 24,000mi., runs like a top. Thanks DUCATIPASO.ORG and every member who takes the time to share their knowledge on this site.

I'm hoisting a few to all, :beer: :beer: :beer: Thank you!

Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Clutch Mod. "Thank you Donaldoduck!"

Post by Mc tool »

Did you add an old friction plate ( doesn't need to be new ) at the back of the clutch pack ? If you still have a bit of rattle , that can be got rid of completely by bending the tangs on the extra plate
and fit it with the tangs down as shown. The whole idea is to get this extra plate to sit slightly proud of the flange at the rear of the clutch hub ( like maybe 1/2 mm ) so that the 1st steel plate fitted rest against this extra plate AS WELL as the flange . When the clutch is assembled and the clutch is released this extra plate provides a friction connection between the back of the 1st inserted steel plate and the basket which prevents the rattle . If the clutch still rattles you need a bit more bend on the tangs , if the clutch doesn't disengage properly you need a bit less bend . It can take a bit of mucking round to get it right but when you do you will have a clutch that works perfectly and does not rattle at all. Another issue with the clutch is weeping oil seals .... if there is any black sticky stuff at all in the clutch replace both seals . If your clutch is oil tight and has good friction plates ( I only use sureflex sintered bronze friction plates ) you wont have to keep pulling it to bits and clean , polish , grind , scotch brite whatever shit off the plates to keep it working great :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
st2sam
year: 1993

Post by st2sam »

Thanks for the tip Mc tool, but I think the 907ie clutch is a little different than the 906.

The extra (used) friction plate, put in first against the basket, works perfect.
The "jingle" is just right! :thumbup:

On a side note, I can't believe how thin the friction material is :shock: , it's only about the thickness of a single sheet of paper.
I wonder if I'm due for a new clutch??? (It does not slip.)
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

On a side note, I can't believe how thin the friction material is :shock: , it's only about the thickness of a single sheet of paper.
I wonder if I'm due for a new clutch??? (It does not slip.)

If it aint broke don't fix,However it is an old Ducati so be prepared to fix it at any time :banghead: :beer: :beer:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

st2sam wrote:Thanks for the tip Mc tool, but I think the 907ie clutch is a little different than the 906.
Ah Yeah I know that , which is why I have shown a 907 / SS clutch basket :-P . You don't ( well at least mine doesn't ) get the same issues ( rattling ) with the 906 clutch because , as you say they are different in design . Some clutch baskets are fully radiused at the bottom of the basket slots , as shown in the pic , some are more square across the bottom of the slots with a small radius at each corner...... makes no difference in actual use :thumbup:
du907

Post by du907 »

Mc tool,

Exactly, I replaced my clutch basket, it was as you described. The basket I replaced it with is like the picture above, a continuous radius at the bottom. My existing basket was somewhat square at the bottom. This makes a difference, as it moves the clutch pack further out, away from the centerline of the engine. It caused the pressure disc spring retainers to scrape the inside of the clutch cover. I had to add the rubber gasket (standard on some Ducati models) between the clutch cover and the engine to space the cover out enough to clear the spring retainers. I posted this information on this site. Changing the basket from the original basket to the new part number that is listed will move the clutch pack out a little. I guess it may or may not affect everyones as it did mine.
du907
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Sorry du907 , but I cant agree with that . The depth or shape of the slots in the outer basket have no influence on the position of the "pressure disc spring retainers " as these are screwed into the clutch hub, even if the stack was higher these retainers wouldn't move . With both types of clutch basket my SS ( same clutch as the 907 ) needed that rubber seal to provide clearance for the spring retainers and as far as I know it should always be fitted :)
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

Mc tool wrote:Sorry du907 , but I cant agree with that . The depth or shape of the slots in the outer basket have no influence on the position of the "pressure disc spring retainers " as these are screwed into the clutch hub, even if the stack was higher these retainers wouldn't move . With both types of clutch basket my SS ( same clutch as the 907 ) needed that rubber seal to provide clearance for the spring retainers and as far as I know it should always be fitted :)
I dont have any spacers on my clutch cover, and still have what looks like a 5mm gap between spring and clutch cover (after I added one friction plate)
the slots on my basket are parallel all the way down to the base and actually the slot are machined/recessed in about 1mm into the basket base (no round corners at all) :dunno:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
du907

Post by du907 »

907pasonut,
That's my point. What you said is the way my original basket was, the slot was more or less square shape. On the newer basket I bought, the slot was shaped like the one in the picture above.
My bike new did not have a rubber gasket between the clutch cover and the engine housing. The clearance was close because after I put everything back together I could hear more "noise". I removed the clutch cover and could see the swirl marks the spring retainers were making on the inside of the cover. They weren't deep markings but enough to make additional "noise". So I got the rubber gasket from a later model 900ss I think and that provides the necessary clearance I now have to have.
Didn't need it unitl I changed the clutch basket. All is well though, just wondered if anyone else had ran across this. I think my clutch plate staking is fiber plate first, then alternating plates with two steel plates at the top.
du907
DonaldoDuck

Post by DonaldoDuck »

st2sam wrote:Donaldoduck,
I'm not sure if your still a 907ie owner or frequent this site but I just completed your clutch mod and I gotta say, it works fantastic!

My clutch was so loud you couldn't hear the exhaust, it actually rattled so bad it made noise even when the motor was freewheeling down the highway! :shock:

Your video was also right on the money, my clutch sounds exactly the same as yours. Thanks for the pictures too... :thumbup:

I still have my Ducati rattle but at a tolerable level, awesome.
I highly recommend this mod. :thumbup:

Oh, and rather than start a new thread I installed my tachometer cable from a 1997 900ss today, works like a charm,
thank you Derek for the info and especially for posting the correct part number.

My 907ie, at 24,000mi., runs like a top. Thanks DUCATIPASO.ORG and every member who takes the time to share their knowledge on this site.

I'm hoisting a few to all, :beer: :beer: :beer: Thank you!

You are very welcome! I am happy to hear it is working for you. I am sorry for not seeing this thread earlier when you first posted. I have been trying to get back on the site after it was taken down, but I am very glad it is back up and running fine.

Incidentally, my clutch is still running fine, thousands of miles since I did this mod in 2008. Have fun!

Original 907 Clutch Mod thread located in the Tech FAQ:
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2579
1992 907ie Beauty. Custom high pipes, Pro Italia chip, Barnett performance clutch, Corbin Seat, Stainless brake lines. 35,000 miles. Owned since 1993.