power to fuel pump?

discussions specific to the 907IE
a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Re: power to fuel pump?

Post by a330us »

Higgy, thanks for the offer but they've agreed to send me a chip out of another one of those NOS ones out of Calif. Nick, there has been a little bit of cutting and patching but I've seen worse. When I hooked up the extra red wire to + terminal and tried the starter there was a tiny little pop and thought I saw just tiny puff coming out of the starter. I wish I were more conversant with electrics.
Is the wiring the same for a 91 as it is for a 93? Also is a ducati chip with 023 on top the standard chip? Thanks for the help, Arch.
a330us
year: 1993

Post by a330us »

Hi Gerhard,
Thanks so much for all the detailed info, I've printed it all out and will start the process in the next day or so. I have checked all the fuses numerous times but just by looking rather than putting a meter on them. I do have a nice digital meter but just have to learn how to use all the functions
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Also is a ducati chip with 023 on top the standard chip?
yes it is (the Euro version. The US version was 023U according to some posts here on the forum)
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Hi Arch.

A few easy things about electricity that may help.

Ohms Law: R=V/I, R=Resistance (ohms), V=Volts (Volts), I=Current (Amps).
Power (Watts)= Volts * Current, ie: a standard headlight has a 60 Watt globe. In a 12 Volts system, this would give a current of 5 Amps (I=P/V).

Max current will take the least resistance path, so a short to earth will have max current, high resistance will have very little current.

High current in a wire (or short circuit) will usually mean a very hot wire, depending on the size of a wire.

Insulation has a very high resistance, but as time goes by it degrades and the resistance drops. It also becomes brittle and fractures. If its against the frame, current will usually track through the fracture. This will burn the insulation, which then becomes carbon, which conducts current very well, so more current etc, until it really starts to smoke.

Copper has the best conductivity, and is also reasonably cheap, so makes the best wire. Gold is OK for conducting current (No 4 from memory). Its biggest win is it doesn't tarnish or corrode. That's why its usually used as an edge connector in computers etc.

The first time you drop a spanner or a screwdriver across the 12 volts battery post to the bike frame, you will swear you just had a heart attack! Always undo the negative terminal of a battery first.

Cheers.

Nick.