Changed oil on 907ie, now won't start.

discussions specific to the 907IE
Beandip
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Changed oil on 907ie, now won't start.

Post by Beandip »

I had this problem before, I just can't remember what I did to correct the problem. I have 5 bikes, so oil changes can have a time period between them. I pulled all the body work off, drained the oil and left the drain plug out for several days before changing filter and pouring in fresh oil. Went to crank last night, got two pops out of the silencers and that's it. Simply will not fire. Additional note, took this bike on a 250 mile ride last weekend. No issues. Thx.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Changed oil on 907ie, now won't start.

Post by Mc tool »

Beandip wrote:I had this problem before, I just can't remember what I did to correct the problem. I have 5 bikes, so oil changes can have a time period between them. I pulled all the body work off, drained the oil and left the drain plug out for several days before changing filter and pouring in fresh oil. Went to crank last night, got two pops out of the silencers and that's it. Simply will not fire. Additional note, took this bike on a 250 mile ride last weekend. No issues. Thx.
Put the sump plug back in ( I dun that once ............well twice but the second one wasn't my fault ) :D
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Beandip

Post by Beandip »

It's all plugged up, that's not it. When I remember the cause of this at 3 am I will post. Thx.
900streetfighter
year: 1992

Post by 900streetfighter »

Is fuel pump priming? off switch on rh bar? check for spark, maybe a connection got knocked.
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Try the old "forgot to plug the fuel pump back in" trick. Its the 4 pin plug/socket below the back of the tank. Easy to miss/forget. You wont have any fuel registering on the gauge either (assuming there is fuel in the tank).

Cheers.

Nick.
Beandip

Post by Beandip »

Discovered I wasn't getting any spark. The only thing I bumped was the off run switch on the right handlebar. This also controls the fuel pump and it was priming, so I didn't mess with it much. I found that if I removed the fuse from one of the power relays I would get spark as the electric field in the coils collapsed, so I checked out the ignition sensor. It checked out good on the bench, so back in it went. Before hooking it back up I hit the connection point with a little WD40 along with a couple others. After that it fired right up which concerns me. Just a little too easy.