Very Happy New Owner 907IE

discussions specific to the 907IE
Sheff928
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Very Happy New Owner 907IE

Post by Sheff928 »

Hi Everyone,

After a fortnight of wondering whether a proposed deal for a bike I had seen on eBay would come through, I took possession yesterday of a rather smart looking 907IE.
Registered in 1992, it appears to be in the last hundred or so built; if I go on the numbers quoted in the Wikipedia entry, only 2.303 were made. My frame number is about 100 short of that total.
I haven't yet taken any pictures of it, but it is still listed on eBay even though the bike is securely locked away at my place! Have a look, the number is 291112685554
At only about 7,500Km the bike is only just run in. I have old MoT certificates back to 1999 to support the mileage (kilometerage???) and it came to me with a full new MoT.
I'm in the UK, near Chesterfield, and would be happy to show the bike off to anyone who wants to see it.
If anyone fancies a ride, please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Kevin
Kindest regards,
Kevin
-----------------------------
907ie 1992
ST4s 2002
750SSie 2002
Cagiva Gran Canyon 1999
Norton Commando 750 1971
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Very Happy New Owner 907IE

Post by englishstiv »

Welcome Kevin

Nice bike and good to see a happy new owner from the UK on this site

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and some willing partners from around the world available to help with any issues or just plain chat you may have about the Paso.

Please use the search button though as this is often the simplest and quickest way of getting an answer just keep the key words simple.

for a starter please try this search

"UK owners meet up"

More news to follow shortly on that front.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Sheff928

Post by Sheff928 »

Thanks for the welcome 'Stiv.
First ride on my 907ie (or any 907 or Paso for that matter) this evening.
I had decided to potter around locally but did about 50 miles in the end, riding around locally at first, then up to Sheffield with a visit to friends as the excuse.
What a fantastic bike!
I found the riding position a little cramped at first, perhaps because the armour in my trousers was a little reluctant to bend further than usual - I have been riding a BMW K100RS recently (but since it's on eBay and will be gone by next week, I'll be able to get back to Dukes). Once the leathers started to give at the knees it was much more comfortable and natural than I anticipated. A few miles around some familiar quiet roads gave me a chance to get used to the bike and sample the handling. My first impression is that you feel part of the machine, although at 6' I felt that the footpegs needed to be a little lower (I've seen the mod.) or maybe further back.
What really amazed me was the rear brake. Working! On a Ducati!
I did stamp on it to test it out and went into a decent locked rear wheel slide. A bit of a change from the K100 with its ABS, and even more of a change from the ineffective rear on my ST4s, which hardly offers any deceleration at all in comparison. (I'll be looking at that!)
This bike has done <5,000 miles from new, so I took it fairly easy, keeping within 5,000rpm. On the bends the bike is a joy and inspires confidence. I only came back to biking last summer after about 15 years off, and even then only managed to get in about 350 miles on the ST, as it needed the belts replacing. The BMW has given me a chance to re-familiarise myself with riding and it now feels natural once more.
I can't get over how good the whole experience of this first ride was...!
I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of buffeting and wind noise that can be a problem on so many bikes; my ST4s is a real pain in the ... ears. The turbulence on that seems to hit me at about chin level and sitting higher is not possible for long, and lower means crouching on the tank. On the 907 though, there seems to be very little turbulence at all, and the laminar flow duct really seems to be doing its job. The overall lack of wind noise meant that for the outward ride I didn't need to stop and put the earplugs in, and no tinnitus!
My overall impression is that these bikes are probably one of the best kept secrets in motorcycling; the styling now looks up-to-the-minute, but not conventional; the ride is comfortable, and the handling excellent. The brakes meet the performance of anything I have experienced.
And I can't wait to do it again!
Kindest regards,
Kevin
Kindest regards,
Kevin
907ie 1992
ST4s 2002
750SSie 2002
Cagiva Gran Canyon 1999
Norton Commando 750 1971
flamewire
year: 1994

Post by flamewire »

Hi Kevin, Great to read your findings, hope you have continued to enjoy the bike over the summer. I am coming back to biking after 20 years and just purchased a very late registered, low mileage 907IE. Taking delivery next week so not sure what to expect yet and at 6ft 4in I might need to do the pedal mod... Only up the road from you near Knaresborough, North Yorkshire. Yours Mark
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Sheff928 wrote: I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of buffeting and wind noise that can be a problem on so many bikes; my ST4s is a real pain in the ... ears. The turbulence on that seems to hit me at about chin level and sitting higher is not possible for long, and lower means crouching on the tank. On the 907 though, there seems to be very little turbulence at all, and the laminar flow duct really seems to be doing its job. The overall lack of wind noise meant that for the outward ride I didn't need to stop and put the earplugs in, and no tinnitus!
Completely agree. The 907 is amazing for little wind noise and a complete absence of buffeting. I experimented with various screens on my ST4s but never achieved the quietness that the 907 provides. The 1200 MTS that replaced the ST4s is even worse with some serious buffeting from the OEM screen which, like most owners I've changed for an aftermarket one that performs better. The NACA duct on the 907 is a revelation.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Kevin, that sounds great. I hope the bike having new MOT also means it got a full new service incl belts, new fluids, fork seals etc. Fuel and brake lines can also be added to the list. Often very low milage bikes can require more (initial) maintainance than ones that are regularly ridden.

G.
Sheff928

Post by Sheff928 »

Hi Folks,

Sorry for delayed reply; I thought I had subscribed to the topic but have had no alerts :-(
Quite by chance I visited the site after looking at something else... glad I did!

Hello Mark; I hope you have now taken delivery of the bike you were expecting, and you have found it to be as good as you hoped. As you mentioned, we aren't too far away form each other, and... seeing as the weather today is the best it's been for a while I might leave the ST4S at home and take a spin on the 907. I know it is short notice, but if you fancy a spin on yours and a chat about the bikes give me a call:- 0753 508 7680 and we could meet up at some halfway point.

Derek, I have been on my ST4S quite a bit recently, and using it for the daily commute, so I have been pummelled by the wind again. I have been neglecting the 907, mainly because I don't want to leave it unattended amongst the student bikes at the college where I teach. I'll be out on it today though and be able to savour the back to back difference between the two. I may post my comparisons later.

Paso, Yes, I was fortunate enough to receive the bike from a dealer who stated that it had been treated to new belts and a brake check as a matter of course. I changed the oil and brake/clutch fluids soon after I received the bike, but have yet to check the belts. I'll take half an hour to look at them and check the tension before I go out later; I've been meaning to do so anyway.
The fork seals seem to be ok, and the only problem that reared it's head was the clutch m/c seal at the lever, which failed and allowed fluid to drip onto the front of the petrol tank and leave a bit of a mark. A rinse with water and fortunately it has polished out. It seems that old paintwork has become quite robust over the years.

I purchased a rebuild kit for about £20, but it didn't work out so I got hold of a used m/c from a Monster 750 which is identical apart from the need to drill mounting holes for the choke/throttle advance lever. The lugs are present but blank. Job yet to be done, but warming up can be done carefully on the throttle.

Kindest regards,

Kevin
Kindest regards,
Kevin
907ie 1992
ST4s 2002
750SSie 2002
Cagiva Gran Canyon 1999
Norton Commando 750 1971