Compliance plate - major problem

discussions specific to the 907IE
mwbunting
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Compliance plate - major problem

Post by mwbunting »

Greetings all. After 2 years and every nut and bolt stripped off, my 907 is nearly together! ETA 2 weeks. However, I have a major problem. The compliance plates were drilled off for the frame respray and have gone missing in a recent workshop move! We have searched hi:low, garbage, boxes etc to no avail. Any ideas how to get a blank. Of course it needs to be an Australian version. I obviously have all the numbers etc with the registration/insurance papers. Any help would be appreciated

I must put a photo up of all the nuts and bolts on the workshop benches. You can get a bit of an idea in the background. Anyway the other 907 you see behind we had to borrow off a friend so that we could work out how to put mine back together. My bike is #1762. You can see from the photo the plate attached to the frame when we stripped it down. This is what it looks like from our friends bike. I'm not sure where these plates get put on? Whether it is at the factory or when the get to Australia so not sure where to start looking. I can prove I own the bike but can't get it re-registered without plate so it might have to sit in the lounge room!
Attachments
ducatipaso resto3.jpg
ducatipaso resto3.jpg (154.35 KiB) Viewed 4256 times
ducatipaso resto2.jpg
ducatipaso resto2.jpg (196.29 KiB) Viewed 4256 times
ducatipaso resto1.jpg
ducatipaso resto1.jpg (198.42 KiB) Viewed 4256 times
1991 907IE
1992 Superlight
2000 900SS
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Re: Compliance plate - major problem

Post by bmw851 »

You should be able to get around that by having an engineers certificate done that state's it meets the ADR requirements of the period, particularly with the rego papers in hand, only down side is that they are usually $250 to $300 to get done, I have 2 grey imports that were done that way, however both are technically pre 1 Jan 1989 builds.

I was once something in the car manufacturing/import distribution industry a long time ago, and we use to produce the plates locally for imports back then, so know the ruling bodies would frown on a knock off regardless of the reasoning, particularly with the rebirthing of stolen vehicles/bikes that goes on.

We wouldn't re issue a plate if lost/destroyed/stolen, but would supply a letter of compliance under the approval and guidelines set out by the federal government.

The VIN for your year model should still be in your Tassie Roads and Traffic authorities data base (sorry just noticed the plate should be on the NSW system), every VIN for an import was logged with the Fed's from I think about 1990 onwards, failing that contact the local distributor for a letter of compliance.

Just offering alternative.

Cheers

Peter
Last edited by bmw851 on Sat May 24, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

why the front and rear brake locks ? Are you afraid someone will ride away with it ? :truck:
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

paso750 wrote:why the front and rear brake locks ? Are you afraid someone will ride away with it ? :truck:
G did you just make a joke :choo:
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

paso750 wrote:why the front and rear brake locks ? Are you afraid someone will ride away with it ? :truck:
I was wondering the same thing!
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland