help with swingarm removal

discussions specific to the 907IE
pasophist
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

help with swingarm removal

Post by pasophist »

I had the dreaded sprocket nut backout and now have to remove the swingarm to have it repaired.
So, I have the pivot nut off but can't back the pivot bolt out. I have the shock disattached, the wheel out and brake removed, will get to the exhaust that's threaded through the swingarm (any suggestions- whole exhaust off or just that piece- which is easier?) BUT:
Can't get the pivot bolt out. Doesnt seem to be any kind of locking washer or C-clip or anything and brute force (small mallet with a hardened steel drift) is getting uncomfortably loud. Aluminum engine cases suggest not too much force...
Any ideas? Did I miss something obvious?
Thanks for any help / support.

Sheldon
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: help with swingarm removal

Post by Mc tool »

Sheldon , I had to beat my pivot bolt out with a BF hammer . It had rust seized into the bush on the sprocket side ( see pic ). I wound up lying the bike on its right side , support frame around pivot area ( lumps of fire wood ) , and bashed her out ................all the time worrying about hidden circlips ( there are none )
This is a spare swing arm assy I have , but that bush sitting on the arm goes into the needle rollers you can see and the pivot bolt goes thru that. Heaps of CRC WD40 , you cant even get a bit of heat onto it either ..... be patient :)
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time