Starter Clutch for 907ie

discussions specific to the 907IE
Whiff Ducbreath
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Starter Clutch for 907ie

Post by Whiff Ducbreath »

Hi Group. I need some advice. My starter has become very jerky lately. Its like it gets stuck and and has to start over. It used to do it once a week or so, but lately it will do it two or three times before it starts. I let a bike shop look at it and he said the starter clutch is going out. What is everybodies experience with 907ie starters.

Russell
du907

Re: Starter Clutch for 907ie

Post by du907 »

If it is catching and releasing, it could very well be the starter clutch. When mine quit, the starter motor would spin but the engine did not turn over, it was slipping that much. The left cover has to come off, then the alternator rotor and flywheel. The starter clutch (sprag clutch) is bolted to the back of the fly wheel. If you install your-shelf, make sure you get the clutch attached flush with the back of the fly wheel, it's easy to put it in wrong. Some guys redo the spring, making it shorter or fixing the kinks as it can stretch. I think mine was $182.00 US back a long time ago (1993). I had to change mine at 9,000 miles. I now have 67,000 on the same starter clutch.

Good luck
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi Russell.

Have a look at the post http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... ilit=sprag

It has most of the fun and games I went through to change the bearing. Its not a hard job, but make sure you have all the tools or you will go a little spare. While the Alternator cover is off, replace the Starter motor brush plate.

If you want to save a $ or 2, the KTM Sprag bearing is the same as the Ducati, at about half the cost. I have the info at home, so will try and dig it out over the weekend. The spring that goes around the sprags is also a weak point. I replaced the one I put in with a spring off an Oil Seal. Again, will dig out the info over the weekend.

Cheers.

Nick.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Again, will dig out the info over the weekend.
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6327
900streetfighter

Post by 900streetfighter »

Maybe battery not up to it or bad connections.
Whiff Ducbreath

Thanks 900. I will check my Battery. It is a year old and I keep it on a battery tender, but the starter has consistently gotten more and more grabby over time. I am not saying the battery in not at least partial culprip, but I think I will look into the Sprage as well. I may also install one of the starter wiring upgrade kits while it is apart.

Thanks for all the good info everyone. This is the best bike group online.

Russell
Whiff Ducbreath

Hi Paso Poo Bah

When I put this number (KTM Free Wheel (Sprag) KTM Part No: 5844002600) in the KTM Parts finder I get (58440026000 FREE-WHEEL FWD 332008 BLS). There is an extra zero in there.

RB
nickta

Post by nickta »

Whiff Ducbreath wrote:Hi Paso Poo Bah

When I put this number (KTM Free Wheel (Sprag) KTM Part No: 5844002600) in the KTM Parts finder I get (58440026000 FREE-WHEEL FWD 332008 BLS). There is an extra zero in there.

RB
My mistake. I got the part numbers off another Web site (shhh) , put the post up, then ordered the sprag. Forgot to update the number. Had a look at the receipt today, and the number you have is correct.

There will be some sort of spring clip on the KTM unit. It needs to come off before it will fit the Ducati.

Cheers.

Nick.
Whiff Ducbreath

Thanks Nick. The local KTM shop has an online ordering page. I think I will try it and see what happens. Its only $91 bucks. Probably 1/3 the price at a Ducati shop, and the local Duc shop told me when I bought my 907 that they have no interest in chasing down parts for Vintage bikes and pretty much insinuated that if I didn't buy it from them anyway, maybe I should just leave, unless I wanted to but a new Duc. I wasn't impressed by Ducati Austin. Although they have nice parties. They had a nice Wing Ding at the Circuit of the Americas F1 race a few months back. Of course it was put on by Ducati America, not Ducati Austin.
nickta

Post by nickta »

No sweat Russell.

On a side thing. If you do go the route of replacing the spring that goes around the sprag, make sure you get the genuine SKF seal. The first deal I got was from a "compatible" brand. The spring was too large in diameter,so didn't fit into the groove of the sprag. The SKF unit fitted perfectly.

Cheers.

Nick.
Whiff Ducbreath

Do you know the part number of the sprag spring? Might as well replace that too.

RB
nickta

Post by nickta »

The oil seal is

A SKF 19778 Oil Seal (for the spring).

The spring is part of the seal. It just pops out.

Cheers.

Nick.
Whiff Ducbreath

Oh OK. The spring in the seal. Sorry. I have not taken it apart yet. I am still collecting parts at this point. I have sourced the Sprag, gasket and starter brushes. I will look for a seal on Monday. I was going to put in a starter cable/wiring upgrade kit while I have it apart.

How di I order a calendar?

Have a great weekend
Russell
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by lane1feathers »

Whiff Ducbreath wrote:
How di I order a calendar?

PM Higgy, he'll sort you out :thumbup:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi Russell.

Check out the article http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f ... tch-85481/

It explains the whole show pretty well. The bit at the start about the clutch is there if you don't have the correct alternator tool. Add in all the bits in this forum and its a piece of cake. Well, almost anyway.

Cheers.

Nick.