Leaky Fork Seals

discussions specific to the 907IE
DoubleDuc
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Leaky Fork Seals

Post by DoubleDuc »

Hi group - 1st post. I'm finding everything I Google about 907s brings me here. I have two 907IE's; a 91 & 93, I was wondering if the forks were interchangeable (I believe I saw somewhere that was one of the few parts that were not).

Also I'm a newbie mechanic, but I'm learning quickly: I have fluid coming out of one of the forks - is the most probable symptom a bad seal, or are there other possibilities as well?

One more question: My fuel pump has become clogged w/ rust as the mechanic did not replace the cup filter it sits in. Can I soak this in a solution and use a compressor to blow out the junk in a direction from the nipple to the base?

Thanks!
nickta
year: 1992

Re: Leaky Fork Seals

Post by nickta »

DoubleDuc wrote:Hi group - 1st post. I'm finding everything I Google about 907s brings me here. I have two 907IE's; a 91 & 93, I was wondering if the forks were interchangeable (I believe I saw somewhere that was one of the few parts that were not).

Also I'm a newbie mechanic, but I'm learning quickly: I have fluid coming out of one of the forks - is the most probable symptom a bad seal, or are there other possibilities as well?

One more question: My fuel pump has become clogged w/ rust as the mechanic did not replace the cup filter it sits in. Can I soak this in a solution and use a compressor to blow out the junk in a direction from the nipple to the base?

Thanks!
Hi.

Welcome to the forum.

The older 907's had 300mm disks on the front, while later models had 320mm disks. I would guess if you swapped the forks, the wheel would need to go with them. I am only basing this on the size of the disks, not through experience. Others may have tried the change? I have a '92 model, which has the 320mm disks. It also has the Goldline brake calipers. All earlier models I have seen have black calipers. This is the most likely way to tell the difference?

If fluid is coming out of the forks, most likely culprit is the seals. Again, it depends on where it is coming from though! Check the condition of the fork stanchion. If its scratched, worn, bent or anything similar, it won't seal either.

The fuel pump is an interesting one. Does the pump spin when connected up to 12 volts, or is there a nasty crunchy sound? The pump itself is sealed, so shouldn't be stripped down and cleaned by disassembly, unless you know what you are doing. You could soak the pump and try and blow it all out backwards. I don't think you would get it all out, but its worth a try. Just be careful what you soak it in, as some solvents will do more damage than good.

As always, be careful when playing around with fuels and pumps. Don't want you to singe your eyebrows!

Cheers.

Nick.
DoubleDuc
year: 1991

Re: Leaky Fork Seals

Post by DoubleDuc »

Hey Nick - Thanks for the welcome & the info. This isn't the original fuel pump,this is an 800 dollar replacement I bought 10 years ago and is not capable of disassembly as I broke the original one becoming impatient and began forcing things. I see now there are 60 dollar replacement fuel pumps that will do the trick. The fuel pump gets power and sounds seized; it doesn't sound like there is any internal movement, a louder than normal hum accompanied with more than normal vibration, I wouldn't consider it a crunchy sound. I'm using some 'over-the-counter' gas treatment type of solvent, I don't think it's too toxic. I'll try blowing it out later & post results for future readers.

Thanks, Shawn