electrical problems

discussions specific to the 907IE
johnm
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

electrical problems

Post by johnm »

hello every one, i hope you can help me out, all the lights on my dash are very dim and everything flashes when i turn on the signals, i checked the ground and it seems to be ok? :banghead:
nickta
year: 1992

Re: electrical problems

Post by nickta »

Hi John.

Change all the warning lights and the indicator flashes in the dash to LED's. They are a T5 type. The LED type are available either as an insert or a plug and play globe. The wonder of modern technology (eBay) has heaps. They are one way installation, so be careful when you put them in.

Also complete the wiring mod (in the 907 documents). It only takes about 2 or 3 hours to do, but takes all the load away from the ignition switch.

Check the operation of the regulator. Clip a voltmeter across the battery, start up the bike and bring the rpm's up to around 3-4000rpm. Depending on the state of the battery, the volts should come up to around 13.5 volts and then level out. Don't hit the panic button if it goes a little further, but anything more than about 14.5 volts is not healthy.

I am assuming you were not the original owner of the bike, so check the headlight wattage. It should be a 60/55 watt unit. When I first got my 907, I found a 100/90 watt globe. The alternator is a 350 watt unit, so a change to the headlight can load it down too much, unless there have been some pretty serious modifications done to the charging system.

Also pull all the earth connections apart and give all the terminals a rub with a bit of wet and dry. They do corrode, which may slightly insulate the connection. I high resistance connection is almost as bad as an open circuit, and in some cases, worse!

Cheers.

Nick.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

I had the same problem with the lights dimming in time with the indicators. It was caused by a voltage drop across the ignition switch. You can read about and how I fixed it here - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ynfq ... 193646.jpg
It seems to be quite a problem and there is a wiring mod to fit a relay in the ducatipaso 907ie docs - http://ducatipaso.org/docs/907i.e./
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Italian wiring makes about as much sense as their legal system ( Amanda is INNOCENT I tell you ) . Fitting a main relay is highly recommended ( I have not personally done a 907 so your better off looking at the relevant posts on how to do it rather than listening to me ) , I also have a relay feeding the coils and the magic box , and one more each for the hi & lo beam
This is a 906 but the idea is the same
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time