Which Chip?

discussions specific to the 907IE
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Which Chip?

Post by ducinthebay »

I just arranged to pick up some BUB exhaust that I wanted, so the bike will need to be chipped. (i assume) Chip in the bike is the DUCATI907ie -023- and some handwriting like I S . Paper filter, and airbox is opened up a bit.

FBF is still selling Stage 1 and 2 chips for $150. I assume a Stage 1 is fine for the open BUB pipes.
FIM is out of business years now, but there is some old stock running around on ebay for $250.

What other alternatives are out there?
What are you folks running?
Oh, and opinions are most welcomed.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Which Chip?

Post by higgy »

I tried a few different chips and in the end went with the FBF stage 1 had the best overall performance on my 907 with the opened up airbox lid and Staintunes
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Thanks Higgy.
As always, you are a wealth of good information.

I got the BUB pipes today from fellow Lister Frenchy, who happens to be 40 miles from me (go figure). Put the pipes on, and fired it up and it was certainly the Ducati music I was looking for. Pipes need a bit of modification to get them to fit well, and some paint, but they are just what I wanted. They fit really close to the swing arm on the righthand side though. I'll take it for a ride and do a plug check to determine how the current chip is dealing with the pipe and current set up. I figure I have some holes in the air box to close up and "tune" things a bit. No holes in the air box lid, and it should run richer, bigger holes in the air box should run leaner, right? I already have holes in the air box, and a roll of duct tape, and the stock snorkels. Anything wrong with my plan so far?

Also, I was talking to Ed Milich the other day, and he mentioned that there is a way to fiddle with the fuel pump on the 907 to increase the pressure to increase the fuel delivered. No change in the chip. Anyone done this? Anyone ever measured the fuel pump pressure? Another knob to twiddle?

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

The fuel pressure regulator is pre-set to 3 bars (approx 43.5 psi) and they are non-adjustable. You can buy adjustable fuel pressure regulators but they are quite expensive.
http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/malpas ... 1813-c.asp
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/sy ... ons-msv003
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... -regulator
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland