Headlight On all time/speedocable

discussions specific to the 907IE
BaDaBoom

Headlight On all time/speedocable

Post by BaDaBoom »

Hi i own a US import 907ie,as you may know the head light is on all the time,is it possible to fit a switch etc so i can turn it off when not needed ?, i've tried fuses etc which results in bike not starting.

Also can anyone recomend a aftermarket supplier in the UK to get a speedo cable from ?

Cheers.
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

I'm not near my 907 but I'm pretty sure the left switchgear has a spot for a headlight switch. If you replace that switch with a European part you should be able to wire it up.

Wouldn't be worth the time/money to me, but it's certainly possible.
-Craig
ducster

Post by ducster »

Hi DesmoDog,

i think you have to check out the main leading + wire feeding the headlights. If the wirecolors used for the lightswitch are the same as on european models, you will find a (i think) green-yellow wire at the handlebar-switch.

Get a 30A relay (as shown) and do the following:

The relays are labeled with numbers for each terminal.

Number Function Note
-----------------------------------
85: coil a The two coil terminals are
86: coil b interchangeable
30: switch
87: switch these 2 terminals are common

Cut the green-yellow wire and fit the relay into it, use terminal 30 for "IN" and terminal 87 for "out".
If you have no main switch for the headlight, install one (maybe underneath the dashboard), "waterproof". Take a new wire (use a thicker one!) from Battery+ using a 20A Fuse inline leading to one terminal at the switch and off the switch to relay terminal 85. Lead relay terminal 86 to ground.

Don't use the switch only. The amps through it when switching lights on will burn the contactsby time.
Use a quality relay, like Bosch or Hella.

Good luck,
ducster