Yet another new 907 ie owner. Maintenance questions.

discussions specific to the 907IE
90_907ie

Yet another new 907 ie owner. Maintenance questions.

Post by 90_907ie »

Hi all,
I have enjoyed my 15 year old italian, thus far. It's a far cry from my '81 Kawasaki kz550. Where can I get basic maintenace procedures? Like where is the air filter? And what do I have to do to inspect it? Do they make reusable air filters for this bike?
What tension do I tighten the chain to?
Any recommendations on engine oils? I know that question always starts an interesting thread.
Should I be worried that the motor shakes signifigantly below 3k RPM?
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Hi newbie!

You can find maintain table from Owner manual, what can downloaded (I think..) from Download section in this Ducatipaso.org site.

If need to change air filter, U have to take fueltank away and U see then hole air intake system. If You want GOOD air filter to Your hole life, buy K&N. They have one for 907 and surely same element fit to all Pasos... Also chain tighten U can find from owners manual!

Near everybody uses different oils, but i have read lot about this and i recomend Fully synthetic Shell Advance Ultra 20W-50, what is good for "lower" transmission connection noises, and ITS VERY GOOD quality oil. Change oil filter every time, U change oils to engine and surely check also that "hard filter" in right side of engine,,, remembering 24mm wrench.... surely have to take one small part of frame away, but only 4 bolts....

I think, never use engine lower rpms, than 4000(when driving)U can feel too low rpm in Your ass very easily,, if too low rpm, surely better put smaller gear, than destroy some bearings from engine :evil:

Antti
pencilbeam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

Does the engine shake alot while at idle?

If you're in gear at under 3,000, finnpaso is right, you are damaging the motor. These bikes don't like to be lugged at low speed like you could with a kz 550 four cylinder bike.
90_907ie

Post by 90_907ie »

No at idle engine does not shake hardly, just when opening throttle too much at 3500 RPM or below when in gear on the highway. Also startted having odd issue with finniky engine kill switch. For no apparent reason engine would not start Moved engine kill switch around and engine starts normal. Can these be opened and cleaned at all, it looks to me like it is sealed. Thanks all for replies.
pencilbeam

Post by pencilbeam »

When I am in gear on my 907 at that rpm, it kind of bucks and shakes too. Hard to get used to at first, and makes the bike less of an "around towner"...so just something to learn not to do. As for the kill switch, it could be corroded, dirty or the metal tabs are broken from years of use. You have 3 choices, take it off and carefully try to open it--clean or fix yourself, disable it and just use your key as kill switch or try to order a new one from:

http://www.powersportspro.com/partsfish/
DesmoDog
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

As others have said, avoid low rpm/heavy load situations. If you're at 3000rpm and you want to accelerate, downshift first. Lugging a Ducati engine is cruel and unusual punishment...

Regarding the K&N air filter - I put one on my 907 and kept it installed a grand total of one day. I hated it. At 80mph I could hear intake noise over the wind noise. The day I tried it out it was very hot. Bike ran horribly at lower speeds, to the point I had to stop and let it cool off a few times when I got stuck in traffic on my way home. No, I hadn't done anything to adjust the injection and it obviously needed it. Went back to the stock filter, and no more problems. I later installed the K&N on a 900ss and it worked much better - but the bike was jetted for it. Still loud though. At a certain rpm, tucked in with your head down by the tank, it felt like your helmet was about to explode. I'm not kidding... painfully loud. One more reason to wear earplugs.

I seem to remember the 907 airbox lid needs to be modified to run a K&N, but that was many years ago, they may have one now with a lower profile that will fit under a stock lid? Moot point for me anyway as I'm happy running the stock filter on that bike.
-Craig
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

I have "lower" and "higher" profile K&Ns and both fit perfectly without any modifications to airbox :thumbup:

About noise: I use allways earplugs when driving my Ducatis and such sounds belong to "Ducatiworld" :cool: All mecanical noises belong to Ducatis! If want silent bike, better choose singer then.

Btw, i need ALSO free flow air filter, cause my 907 engine have open exhaust, ported heads, ST2 cams and surelu more fuel to make more hps, so also remapped FIM chip.... and best to take only snorkels away, not "all airbox cover open"...

Antti
Last edited by Finnpaso on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90_907ie

Post by 90_907ie »

My local bike shop says K&N doesn't make a filter for my 907ie. Does anybody have a part number or know another bike that the filter will work from?
pencilbeam

Post by pencilbeam »

Do you have a Ducati dealer nearby? I have a K&N in mine and it works and fits just great. Not too loud either. (I don't wear earplugs) Find a dealer and have them order one. Alot of bike shops don't spend the extra time to look very hard. You will learn that with this bike.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

propably same ordering number, as to 750.... I cant remeber, where i get those..... Anyway K&N have filter to 907, I am 100% sure of that :thumbup:

Antti
ducster

Post by ducster »

Finnpaso wrote:propably same ordering number, as to 750.... I cant remeber, where i get those..... Anyway K&N have filter to 907, I am 100% sure of that :thumbup:

Antti
Here is a link to a german dealer:
http://www.ducati-kaemna.de/cms_en/kata ... tikel=1312

Look at the typification/Model list. Seems to fit most former ducatis.
Greets,
ducster
KillerB
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

Hi,

I will see if I can dig out the box for mine and let you know the number. There is one for sure.

Regards, B
90_907ie

Post by 90_907ie »

Thanks all for the replies, I did find that the local place can get a UNI foam filter for my 907ie, does anyone have an opinion on UNI Filters?
Paul
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

90_907ie,

The kill switch problem has been covered in the past. It is caused by badly designed electrics on the Ducati. Search for a posting by JSclocum to explain why. He also provides a suggested wiring modification to increase the voltage at the colis which will help prevent it happening again (it doesn't fix the problem if the switch is already damaged).

Paul