Removing airbox

discussions specific to the 907IE
hazynut
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Removing airbox

Post by hazynut »

Just removing my injectors from my bike its a bit dark in the shed and cant seem to see away of getting the rubber fittings on the air box (that connect to the throttle bodies) past the injector rail, do you have to remove the rail first before getting the airbox past or is there an easier way that I have missed cheers all Re Alistair
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Re: Removing airbox

Post by Derek »

Getting the airbox off is awkward, getting it on again is worse but I've had mine off 3 or 4 times and never had to undo the fuel rail.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

If you have not put it back yet it is simple enough if you use the old fashioned method of a little bit of neat washing up liquid or silicon grease - don't go mad though just a surface wipe.

Fit all the carb' unit together with just the plastic box left to fit. Obviously remove the lid and filter.

Make sure you put the rubbers on the carb' bodies first aligned using the proud notch markings on them if you look at the plastic filter body you will see what I mean.

Ease the box into the aperture and gently tease the outer lip of the rubber into the the box and then gently persuade the rest of the lip to follow. Start on which ever one seems easiest to work with you may have to alternate between the two.

It really helps if you have a Car Trim Upholstery Prying tool to use in teasing the rubber lip into the box or even a strong but large Crochet needle

Example = http://www.amazon.co.uk/Door-car-trim-u ... B001J52274

Example = https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1123873 ... mm-crochet

Another alternative is to wrap a strong twin around the inner rim and then tease it through and over this way but you may find the rubber is a bit hard for this after twenty years. This is an old trick used with old window frame rubbers.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

englishstiv wrote: Another alternative is to wrap a strong twin around the inner rim...
Sorry Stiv there's only one of me :lol:

Good tip though :thumbup:
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah