Starter problem

discussions specific to the 907IE
sean215
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Starter problem

Post by sean215 »

hello. my bike just started to have a problem with the starter. i start up the bike and the stater it spins but doesn't turn the engine. second try it spin and turn engine little and spin again. and the starter was new. i replace it last year from Rick's Motorsports Starter Motor. is anyone know have a problem like this and know how to fix it???

thanks
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Starter problem

Post by ducinthebay »

Sounds like a starter sprag. Otherwise known as a clutch. Its a one way clutch that connects the starter power to the crank. There is a fine spring like one on a seal all around it. If it gets stretched, it will be come intermittent. Just did it on an ST2.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
oceanhunter
year: 1992

Post by oceanhunter »

If you can get the sprag bearing out and inspect the inner and outer surfaces of the bearing hubs
for any roughness/uneven surface if this has occurred then get it skimmed slightly(outer)
and use some emery cloth to dress the inner and fit a SKF
seal spring that best suits the bearing proper,don't worry to much if the rollers have slight damage
to them as I had one on mine and it has not caused any problems!Done 50,000 k's no worries.
"keeping the shiney side up"
sean215

Post by sean215 »

thank for replying guys. is there a way to repair the starter sprag? i found one on ebay for 150 \
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331544858448?it ... 23&vxp=mtr
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Hi Sean.

The spring is usually the culprit with the sprag, and can be replaced with one off an SKF Oil Seal. There is a few posts here that cover it all. A KTM Sprag (new) is also available that is a direct replacement, and is about half the price of a genuine Ducati (don't figure?) unit. Again, the posts here have all that info.

Have a look at posts:
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... ilit=sprag
and
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... ilit=sprag

That should keep you busy!

Cheers.

Nick.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Or just google Ducati starter sprag clutch. All basically the same in function. (KTM too)
Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
sean215

Post by sean215 »

hello guys. lately i been busy. just have time to open up and see what wrong with the starter sprag. i found out that rollers have some damage. few of the rollers is bent at the gap where the spring fit in and the new spring wont fit in so i have to use sand paper to sand most of the damage part down. so the spring can fit in the gap. since i got a new spring. the inner surface have some uneven surface. should i just use sand paper to smooth them out? please let me know thanks guys