Looking for some rotor measures...

discussions specific to the 907IE
Rhythminblues
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Looking for some rotor measures...

Post by Rhythminblues »

Evening Fellas, it's been a loooong looong time since I've posted. Hope everybody is doing well and enjoying their 2 wheeled adventures!
Quick question: According to my manual "new rotors" should measure 0.196-something and the wear limit is 0.177-something. What are do your rotors measure?
The brembos I put on my bike a while back have some pitting in them and I have a new/used set of OEM rotors I'd like to bolt up. The new/used ones measure 0.1556 and the ones on the bike measure 0.1554 and my old warped ones on the shelf measure 0.1554. I was thinkin "woa!" all of these are beyond the wear limit??! Thanks.
Rhythminblues

Re: Looking for some rotor measures...

Post by Rhythminblues »

Does anyone have a thickness measure on a set of new or very good condition OEM rotors? Thanks.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

just have a look at the wsm ;)
Attachments
Unbenannt-1.jpg
Unbenannt-1.jpg (137.43 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
Rhythminblues

Post by Rhythminblues »

Yup thanks, I have the manual as mentioned in my first post. Im looking for some actual measures.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

new discs have 5mm and 4.5mm is minimum. You find that info also in every brake rotor manufacturers catalogs. The min. thickness is also stamped into the brake rotor. You won`t find any other info than that ;)
Rhythminblues

Post by Rhythminblues »

Appreciate the info; id still like to see what people measure on their OEM disks.
nickta

Post by nickta »

Rhythminblues wrote:Evening Fellas, it's been a loooong looong time since I've posted. Hope everybody is doing well and enjoying their 2 wheeled adventures!
Quick question: According to my manual "new rotors" should measure 0.196-something and the wear limit is 0.177-something. What are do your rotors measure?
The brembos I put on my bike a while back have some pitting in them and I have a new/used set of OEM rotors I'd like to bolt up. The new/used ones measure 0.1556 and the ones on the bike measure 0.1554 and my old warped ones on the shelf measure 0.1554. I was thinkin "woa!" all of these are beyond the wear limit??! Thanks.
Well, if it helps, your not alone in rotor thicknesses!?

The following are the measurements I took off my 907. It has the 320mm disks. They measuring device were 2 different digital vernier calipers, and both were within a gnats whisker of each other. The rotor surfaces are as close to flat as far as I can see, with no scoring or pitting. If they are the originals, and I doubt they would be, then they too are under size. I couldn't find any measurements stamped into the rotors either, though I didn't remove the wheels or the disks for a real close look.

Front LHS: 3.72mm or 0.146"
Front RHS: 3.77mm or 0.148"
Rear: 3.81mm or 0.150"

Even at their thickest point (closest to the gold carrier) they were about 4.5mm or whatever that is in inches.

I had a look on Stein Dinse Web site, and the disk for the 900SS (907 equivalent) mentions 4mm in its description. It is here: http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Brembo/Brakr ... :5579.html

Bevel Heaven has a 245mm rear disk in their stock, and it also mentions 4mm thick in its description. See https://store.bevelheaven.com/Brake-Rel ... rm-Models/

So the million dollar question, what is the correct thickness of rotor? Simple answer, NFI? :wacko: I will chase up a local supplier and see if they have stock, and if they would put a vernier/micrometer across them and see what the thickness is on new rotors.

MetalGear in Queensland have a pretty good list of brake parts, but they don't seem to stock the 320mm disks for any of the bikes in the 907 FAQ brake equivalent bikes, or the rear disks either?

Cheers.

Nick.
Rhythminblues

Post by Rhythminblues »

Thanks Nick!! I knew I wasnt crazy!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

strange that even the Brembo catalog says 5mm
https://app.box.com/shared/59pziy24rl
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi.

I spoke to Ian Gowanloch about the thicknesses of the 320mm rotors. He has a complete set on hand, and was positive they were between 3.5mm - 4mm. The one's he has are genuine Brembo disks. His opinion of the OEM (apparently they were Japanese Nissin, labelled as Brembo?) rotors was, umm, bad. He suggested if the bike still had the OEM rotors, throw them away are replace them with the new Brembo units quickly!

Found another couple of places with Brembo units for sale:

http://motowheels.com/i-7832676-brembo- ... 8-998.html

And from Metalgear (not Brembo originals, but heard good things about them):

http://metalgear.com.au/mgear-brake-dis ... 10986.html

It is interesting the Motowheels spec for the disk is a thickness of 5.5mm?

Cheers.

Nick.