Starter Solenoid?

discussions specific to the 907IE
Whiff Ducbreath
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Starter Solenoid?

Post by Whiff Ducbreath »

Hello Group

I went riding Friday without complaint. I rolled out my 1992 907ie Saturday morning for an early romp and no starter. I thought it was a low battery (10 month old). I put it on the charger over night and battery shows,12.8 volts. 10 months ago I had the recommended wiring upgrade professionally installed after I chickened out on replacing the starter sprag last August. While it was opened up I had them rebuild the starter. The only thing that was not replaced was the solenoid. When I push the starter button, and touch the solenoid, the solenoid clicks, but no starter motor activity of any kind. What's my most likely problem? Old Ducati's seem to have their share of starter/electrical problems.

How do you check the solenoid? If it turns out to be the solenoid, can they be repaired or better to replace it? And what can you replace it with? If I go to the Ducati shop, they will laugh at me and try to sell me a new Ducati. I would Love to have a new Duc, but they are a little pricey. I'm perfectly happy with mine.

Russell Brown
Austin, Texas
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Starter Solenoid?

Post by higgy »

Information on starter and solenoid testing is in the general section of the documents folder
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie