Clutch Rod bearing in gearbox shaft

discussions specific to the 907IE
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Clutch Rod bearing in gearbox shaft

Post by 900streetfighter »

Mine dropped a few rollers when I took the rod out looking for an oil leak. A right little bastad its been, 8mm id, about 12 od 15mm long burried inside the clutch centre shaft in almost a blind hole. Oil seal pulled out ok. The cage and outer lip came out leaving a hardened steel sleeve with the end lip far side. Nothing to drift from lhs, its in 300+mm. 8mm shaft anyway. So its got to be pulled out. I tried hook/mole grips/hammer method. Screw bolt in, mole grips+hammer method. 12mm tap with mole grips/hammer method but the bearing casing is too hard. The way I got the fkr with stud exractor, (grips and hammer). The deep taper and course threaded bit gripped enough to get it moving. Happy. Oil leak isnt there though.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Clutch Rod bearing in gearbox shaft

Post by englishstiv »

Had you tried a magnetic bit secured to the end of the rod?
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
900streetfighter

Re: Clutch Rod bearing in gearbox shaft

Post by 900streetfighter »

It was very tight in there and quite deep in the shaft. I didnt take the clutch hub off, that might've made it slightly easier. I think I got it moving with a long hardened countersunk screw, getting the sharp edge into the shoulder and bearing joint and tapping it backwards using mole grips and hammer method. Once I remembered to turn the stud extractor the right way it bit into the bearing shell well enought to pull it out. Had a dremel on standby.