Waterless Coolant experiment

discussions specific to the 907IE
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Waterless Coolant experiment

Post by englishstiv »

Folks since getting my old girl back on the road this year I have trialed a different coolant mix with this product, I was going to go down the Evans route but felt it a bit overpriced in the UK.

Thus far I have found it performs very well and actually is fantastic value. I will be using it in the depths of winter so will get an idea too on cold weather running.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-5L-5-Litr ... 1349314750
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Ducolaf

Re: Waterless Coolant experiment

Post by Ducolaf »

Have moved to Evans during this winter stop. The 5 ltr container worked for two bikes as they use about 2,5 ltr in the cooling system, making it price worth to use. A new expansion tank would cost more if it would snap on pressure buildup. (They do about 40-70 Euro here at the moment)

Make sure to were latex gloves as the liquid is irritating on the skin, specially the prep fluid. Draining is easy so prep fluid can be avoided, however I could lend it from the shop and return after use without cost.

Evans does make the engine run a fraction hotter, the liquid will get thinner in density when hot, in cold it is more dense.
If you realy look you will see that the whole world is Ducati Red. . .

Proud owner of a;
- Ducati 907 ie 1992 in red
- Ducati 900 SSC Imola 1997 in red
- aprilia RST Mille Futura 2001 in infinity blue
- Alfa Romeo 159 SW 2007 in Grigrio Stromboli
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Evans does make the engine run a fraction hotter
I was curious about this and wanted to ask a while ago after reading that in the technical datasheet. (Then age took over and I forgot.) How much difference does it make?
Ducolaf

Post by Ducolaf »

Did not check how much it was, however at a UK classic car Restoration company here they said it is "a few" degrees. I would recon that would be around 3-5 degrees max. Bike is still in winter storage here so only ran it up to temperature to remove possible air in the system and refill it to the correct cooling liquid level.

Cooling ventilators would kick in more perhaps to cool it down at low / slow speed, however heat absorption should be better, taking the heat from the hot parts. We will find out, just a bit warmer and loosing the salt on the roads and we have a go!
If you realy look you will see that the whole world is Ducati Red. . .

Proud owner of a;
- Ducati 907 ie 1992 in red
- Ducati 900 SSC Imola 1997 in red
- aprilia RST Mille Futura 2001 in infinity blue
- Alfa Romeo 159 SW 2007 in Grigrio Stromboli
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

from a recommendation from a KTM factory mechanic, I am using Engine Ice.
Propylene Glycol. pre mixed. Don't really have any other data to vote for or against it. It is non toxic, and its probably in your shampoo.
I don't recommend shampoo for coolant though.

Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

I noticed a slightly higher running temp at first but nothing to concern me and after a few hundred miles all was as normal. Also on the long run to Brighton last year at higher speeds than normal nothing above normal expectations.
I have retained the expansion tank and did not notice any difference either when the fan spun off it's spigot since replacement I re used the liquid that I had removed with no issues.
I cannot comment on any other product as a comparison but would highly recommend that which I have used. :thumbup:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
icekube1

Post by icekube1 »

paso750 wrote:
Evans does make the engine run a fraction hotter
I was curious about this and wanted to ask a while ago after reading that in the technical datasheet. (Then age took over and I forgot.) How much difference does it make?
Hi. I've neen running the Evans in mine for a while now and haven't noticed any evidence of increased operating temps; at least on the gauge. And that has been on some hot Australian days.