shape of the tank

discussions specific to the 907IE
jjw
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1990

shape of the tank

Post by jjw »

Looked at a 907 at trader this weekend, the bike was in good condition but I noticed something with the shape of the tank.
Standing behind the bike, looking over the tank towards the top tripple-clamp, I noticed that the tank is slightly lower on the left. And a bit deeper at the front seam where the trim strip is fitted on the left. I thought it had maybe been dented and not properly repaired. Came home and noticed the same on my own tank :huh:
Is that a coincidence or are there more like that.
Cheers J
Sheff928
year: 1992

Re: shape of the tank

Post by Sheff928 »

I just had to go to check, and although the tank is symmetrical the cut-away for the forks in the fairing is a little lower on the left.
Now I know it's not perfect I'm going to have to sell it!
Thanks... :-(
Kindest regards,
Kevin
-----------------------------
907ie 1992
ST4s 2002
750SSie 2002
Cagiva Gran Canyon 1999
Norton Commando 750 1971
jjw
year: 1990

Post by jjw »

OK, so its a case of "they all have that sir". I will take that as good news, the one I looked at is as good as the rest (almost perfect) :)
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

Ha Ha :lol: when I rebuilt my bike I was taking it to be tested and noticed that. Was as worried as hell as I thought I may have a buckled front end if you reverse think shape and assume the tank is perfect

Got home and had a good look and yes it was slightly skewed however was able to adjust it slightly with a bit of wiggling and adjustment to the base rubbers.

But it is an odd shape .... so glad others have seen.

Stare at it every time I ride. :wacko:

I wondered if it was put there on the assumption by the design team that a steering lock would be fitted and then they realized it would be useless on a fully enclosed front end? :banghead:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
giarcg
year: 1993

Post by giarcg »

The tank's shape can be distorted by the bike being dropped. One of my 907s have that condition, its pretty subtle but obvious once you know what to look for.

Seems the impact loads transfer from the mirror/fairings directly into the tank.