removing swingarm

discussions specific to the 907IE
jjw
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1990

removing swingarm

Post by jjw »

Trying to remove the swingarm axle bolt. The nut is off, the axle wont budge. Is there something else that is clamping the bolt or does it just need more brute force?
cheers J
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Re: removing swingarm

Post by Mc tool »

Probably rusted into the bush ( that the needle rollers run on ) on the left side . I had to beat mine out with the log splitter ( BF hammer ). I laid the whole bike on its side and supported frame around the pivot bolt hole ( with lumps of firewood ). Put heaps of CRC WD40 around it for a day or so and have a go. Try not to damage the pivot bolt ..... I used an axle bolt out of something as a long drift. If you try to rotate the pivot bolt it will spin easily as its spinning the bush as well , so that really only leaves you with beating the shit out of it.

You got your swing arm out yet Fraser ? :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Hamish,

New swing arm installed, new WOF, even rode it into work this morning. Need to get some exercise on it before the Boxing day races at Wanganui.
Cheers,

Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

This pic shows the needle rollers and the bush on the left side of the swing arm
This pic is the ball bearings and spacers on the right side of the swing arm . It could also be rusted into this spacer/bush . The bush and bearings on the right side are what locates the arm end float (side to side on the bike ) and the needle rollers on the left just sorta sit where ever they need to . :)
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

Nice pics. Don't forget the silly little set screw that holds that aluminum spacer in place.
I have mine apart on the bench currently also. Sure is an expensive way to make a pivot (one of the reasons the Paso line went out of production) Later models, like the ST, were much simpler, cheaper, and easier to fix/repair.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

early designs rely on whats available in the parts chain. It takes time to develop a new supply of parts to improve on the concept as new tooling is both expensive and time intensive
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
jjw

Post by jjw »

Best wishes for 2016 to all.
Thanks for the info and pics. I got the bolt out with a bigger hammer.
I was going to renew some of the bearings to reduce the free-play but I think I will be looking for a Alu-welder now.
The PO probably never ajusted the chain tension. The chain has chewed through the swingarm on the bottom side, all the way to the rollers and ground out a weld on the top side. Anyone got a good swingarm going?
Cheers J
jjw

Post by jjw »

looks like this;
Attachments
907 swing2.jpg
907 swing2.jpg (36.07 KiB) Viewed 7016 times
907 swingarm1.jpg
907 swingarm1.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 7016 times
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Mine was similar , just not ground right thru to the bearing .I think the swing arm in my pic was the one I sent to Fraser ( which was dumb coz its better than the one on my Paso :lol: ) I just made a new chain slider that went right round the pivot , just a 30mm wide strip of nylon strap 5mm thick , heated up and bent round the swing arm and pop rivoted on ................then I found some new Ducati chain sliders.
Beats me , if you run the chain anything like slack enough to do such damage the gear changes are real bad and that alone would make me want to tension the chain properly ...............but then I have heard of people blissfully riding round with their sprocket bolts cutting their swing arm in half :D ...........not looking towards anyone in particular :lol:
jjw

Post by jjw »

I took the swingarm out with the intention to cure the play on the lever system.
After cleaning and checking I put it back together to see which of the needle bearings/bushings needed replacing. What did I find, no play at all. Conclusion, the play I felt before was not in the bearings but the bolts through the bearings. These need to be very tight to prevent movement of the bushing on the bolt. Clamping force needs to keep the bushing in place. I have checked this on 2 other 907's, same issue, one also cured by tightning the bolts, (I own 2, the other was at a dealer)
My tip, put the bike on the centre stand, grab the end of the swingarm and pull up. If there is about a cm of free movement you probably have the same issue, tighten all the bolts and the ride quality will improve a lot.
What I also found on all three 907's I checked, the rear shock didnt work.. The two I checked had zero pressure where they need 6 or 7 bar in the canister. Pumped then up and found another huge improvement in ride. Only problem now is that they loose pressure over time. Anyone know the cure for that?

Happier with the 907's every day.
Cheers J
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

jjw wrote:... the play I felt before was not in the bearings but the bolts through the bearings. These need to be very tight to prevent movement of the bushing on the bolt. Clamping force needs to keep the bushing in place.
For anyone with an ST2/3/4 they suffer the same problem. If the bolt clamping the rocker pivot to the frame isn't tight enough the bearing sleeve moves on the bolt, resulting in about 10 - 15mm of free play at the rear wheel.

This post reminds me too that I must check the pressure in my rear shock ore often.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland