Radiator Fan failed due to parts fatigue.

discussions specific to the 907IE
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Radiator Fan failed due to parts fatigue.

Post by englishstiv »

Look what fell off my 907ie today after a 120 mile ride. Fortunately it decided to throw itself off when parked up on my drive at the end of the ride. I would check your fans folks as it seems to be fatigue that caused it.

The actual central spinner shell has come away from the plastic fan housing which has become brittle and then cracked and shattered this caused the fan to drop off the motor housing.

The white paste you can see is just corroded alloy. The actual plastic covering has become brittle and warped and let go. It is essentially the fan housing that has corroded and obviously the hi velocity spinning has caused it to come loose.
I have cleaned it out and had hoped to press it back in and use a two pack resin glue to attach. The aperture has though shrunk so unsuitable. The fan motor is in perfect order. Since I now use waterless coolant the fan does not really activate that much apart from when I come to a standstill for longer than 5 minutes.( normally at the end of a ride).

You can see the three cross head screws that would be holding the fan plate and fan onto the motor.
As a fix you could easily rivet or screw precisely where the three black lugs are on the inner fan plate housing or glue it securely, however as I cannot sit the fan back into the plate housing due to the plastic shrinkage it's a non runner.

Luckily I have a spare which I swapped over.

I now have a spare motor and housing, will be interesting to see if this is interchangeable with any others in the Ducati range.
Attachments
20160124_215025_zpsewqsqpbs.jpg
(245.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Thebenelliman

Re: Radiator Fan failed due to parts fatigue.

Post by Thebenelliman »

Hi Sti sounds like you were quite lucky it did not cause more damage! I took my 30 year old Benelli for an mot many years ago and the rear brake hose split during the test! I subsequently changed all the hoses and seals it was a lucky escape. My 907ie is 23 years old ,next month or so I will remove the fairing and give it a good check over.
The Benelliman
1992 907ie
1981 Benelli 900 Sei
1989 Benelli 900 Sei
1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
1981 Benelli 250 2c
1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
1980 Benelli 254
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

I think the corrosion of the alloy is the root of the problem. It has effectively pushed the plastic housing off of the metal motor housing. I'd think a fan off most of the other Ducati models could be adapted as a replacement.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Duc750
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

looks like you've had the fan fouling issue on the rev counter cable as well judgung from the blades
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

looks like you've had the fan fouling issue on the rev counter cable as well judgung from the blades
It would appear so but not in my ownership, when I previously stripped the bike down I noticed this damage and it was pretty old then so think it was most likely as a result of previous accident damage as the Radiator had obviously been replaced.

The bike has spent most of it's early life on the North West English Coast and I had stories passed down to me that two of the previous owner's ( father and his son ) spent many a happy day riding along Blackpool Promenade on the back wheel.

I had fully inspected it before returning it to the bike so I am pretty sure the reason for it's demise is the alloy expansion and brittle heat damaged plastic.

the replacement has come from a 30,000 miler and has no visible signs of damage or decay.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
Duc750

Post by Duc750 »

its the rev countr cable - it rubs on certain lock positions (only with the fan running)
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

do you use Simple Green to clean your bike?

The citrus cleaner does a fantastic job of cleaning, but must be rinsed thoroughly, or it will oxidize aluminium bits rather well. It will certainly create the problem you are seeing. That, and the salt air.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

do you use Simple Green to clean your bike?
Confession time :beer:

As I ride my bikes all year round they tend to be coated in WD40 permanently

It has it's benefits as I have a rather nice one piece Ducati Mechanics overalls set won at a Ducati Rally for having the Ducati ( Monster ) bike requiring the most amount of loving attention which kinda sums up my attitude to washing and polishing my Ducati's and Bikes in general. Believe me when I also say that had I sold all the bling on the other bikes I could of brought another 10 Paso's with the profits so I was a little out of my league.

They are clean and rideable but in no way showroom beauties so my cleaning regime involves little soapy water, a chamois leather and some Auto Solvol on the shiny bits followed by lots of Fish oil ( DON'T SAY IT I KNOW IT'S A MYTH ABOUT WD40 :wacko: ). I do not use any branded bike cleaning products externally if I can help it.

I am pretty certain it's our famous wet salty winter British roads that have caused this problem.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

WD-40 is a great product, and pretty good at protecting stuff. I always start the cleaning process by spraying the entire bike with WD-40, get lunch or a coffee, then apply Simple Green to dirty bits followed by a strong hose. I don't know what myth there is around WD-40, besides it surely isn't a very good lubricant for very long. it will make a hinge quiet, but only for a short time. needs to be followed with real oil. A bit of WD-40 on that fan hub would have helped it live a bit longer, but it isn't a match for salt.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Duc750

Post by Duc750 »

"Muc Off" does the same to aluminium parts too - nasty stuff if you're not careful
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

This long life is good stuff, I use it on all my rifles , and the degreaser is 3 bucks a can here ( put a long straw on it and its a mini water blaster , and its water soluable so a hose down after is the go
Attachments
DSC02600.JPG
DSC02600.JPG (109.4 KiB) Viewed 10593 times
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

PB Blaster and Seafoam and simple green here WD-40 has its uses but attracts more dust and is on the toxic list
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Duc750

Post by Duc750 »

higgy wrote:PB Blaster and Seafoam and simple green here WD-40 has its uses but attracts more dust and is on the toxic list

All the good stuff is on the toxic list :D