CAM SHAFT ...kaput

discussions specific to the 907IE
Bonza
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

CAM SHAFT ...kaput

Post by Bonza »

G'day my old mates

My cam shaft has bit the dust and I am having a bit of a worry getting a new one or a used one. The part number is 14810121A. If anybody has any ideas on where I can get something to help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I am in Vancouver, Canada. The only thing I have been able to come with is a complete cylinder head from Florida. Thanks alot
Bonza
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Re: CAM SHAFT ...kaput

Post by higgy »

talk to ed at guzzi tech
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Yeah ? what happened ? pix ? . most cams can be rebuilt and reground ..... not sure about Desmo cams but if its only flogged out the key way or a bearing position it may well be worth fixing if your really stuck :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

The camshaft is the same as the 900SS and Monster 900. It shouldn't be hard to find a good used pair. In the unlikely event that you find a pair from a ST2 let me know :wink:
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

if not ST2 cams 900SSie cams would also be an option but they are also rare.

However remove the left camshaft/bearing cover and check what`s printed on the side of the cam. If it`s the same as a 900SS cam it`ll be VHT. (OHT on the horizontal cylinder)
I have a set of used ones you can have.

Not sure that 900SS and Monster cams are really identical. That might depend on model year. According to Brad Black`s site 900SS cams are marked OHT/VHT, Monster cams OR/VR.
Bonza

Post by Bonza »

Hi guys, thanks for all the info. I took the cam and the pulley to a machine shop and they said it's not worth fixing. Both parts are worn badly. Thanks for the advice McTool. Maybe if we were in New Zealand some Kiwi guy could get 'er done. Paso 750 - I'll take up your kind offer. Although I need a pulley as well, if you have one. If not, I could source one from here, perhaps. As you can see in one the photos, the pulley goes all the way to near the cam lobes and is still sloppy. I'm guessing it's not supposed to go that far. Let me know how I can send you $$$ for postage and the beer fund account. Thanks a lot, good on ya.
-Bonza

PS all the best for Easter
Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 10.45.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 10.45.02 AM.png (900.2 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 10.44.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 10.44.23 AM.png (647.62 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

I aint convinced , if a picture is worth a thousand words then holding it in your hand has to be worth a thousand pictures ,( you can use that if you want :D ). There is supposed to be a spacer , a bearing and a washer on that camshaft before the pulley goes on , and from memory the pulley is not that tight a fit on the camshaft ( don't tell Gilbert :lol: ) , like you can pull it off with your hand. The cam on the front cylinder also has the gear to drive the tacho and any spacers may be different sizes to allow for this , so make sure you have them assembled correctly , also I think ( not sure ) that there is a circlip ( just a piece of steel wire formed into a circle ... not the type with holes in the ends for circlip pliers ) that fits into a groove on the cam shaft which would stop the bearing , spacer , tacho gear and washer from sliding on to far , there is one on the cam drive shaft at the base of the Vee behind both drive pulleys . Sorry if Ive got this wrong but I just cant figure out how the shaft diameter and the pulley bore could wear so Im thinking by being sloppy you are referring to excessive end float. If there was enough movement between the pulley and shaft to cause significant wear Im pretty sure it would flog out the key way and shear the key way before wearing the shaft / bore to the point that it was unserviceable.
Bonza

Post by Bonza »

hey McTool the shaft is worn down quite a bit the pulley is very sloppy on the shaft where it is the correct diameter the bike still ran but made some wiggy sounds down there with the bagged keyway in you can move the pulley back and forth nearly one tooht of the pulley
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Ah well sounds like your right to be looking for another cam , maybe a good opportunity to get some adjustable cam pulleys and give the ole girl a tweek . You still could have the cam metal sprayed and reground to size , and refit the key to the camshaft using Loctite quickmetal ( or similar )to fill the key way, and remove excess so when hard the new pulley can slide on , because with adjustable pulleys the key way position doesn't need to be spot on and then just degree in the cam to match the other pot. Im thinkin that maybe fixing one cam may be cheaper than buying a pair ( most cams would come in pairs ??? ) :)
Hamish
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

Monster cams VR/OR are from small valve/750 heads, do not buy these.
I`d buy SSie for a bit more go.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I sent you a pm