Fuel pump removal

discussions specific to the 907IE
giancarlo
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Fuel pump removal

Post by giancarlo »

I am looking for any advise and instructions on removing the fuel pump. There used to be a set of photos from Projectman but they do not show up any longer. What are proper tools and procedure? Also, what is the proper hosing for the fuel filter-pump set-up?
giancarlo

Re: Fuel pump removal

Post by giancarlo »

Also, what is a degasator on the 907?
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Hi.

Remove the Fuel Cap surround and seal (8 screws).
Remove the breather off the bottom of the surround.
Remove the hose and clamp off the top of the Fuel Filter. Either end, there should be enough flex in the fuel line to allow this.
Unclip the pump wires off the spade terminals where they come through the wall of the Fuel tank. (near the fuel gauge float).
Reach into the fuel tank, and there are 2 clips either side of the fuel pump. Press these in and the pump should come out. The pump will have a rubber mount and a plastic bit (the part with the clips) attached to it, but the whole lot should fit through the hole of the fuel tank.

Reassembly is the reverse of the above. Make sure the breather is clear when you put it all back together, as this can cause issues if it is blocked.

The correct Fuel line to use in a Fuel tank is rated R10. Normal Fuel Injected line is rated R9, and will dissolve when submersed in fuel. The correct stuff is here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251012073753 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Cheers.

Nick.
giancarlo

Post by giancarlo »

Got it. I'm down to having all hoses off but wasn't sure if necessary to unbolt filter itself. Is there a mesh filter on the bottom of the pump to filter out larger particles that i should address? Bike has be running fine for yrs but inline filter was pretty dirty. This degasator or degasser, is there anything that ever needs to be done with this gizmo? As I live near on the Puget Sound in WA we have non-ethenol fuel available for marine engines. Running 87 octane without any other additives for a couple of yrs and the bike seems happy. Inside of tank look very good for age.

My biggest problem is the occasional blown relay that allows bike to start after priming. happens about every other yr or so. Sometimes I have to take the fan relay and switch it over to get home.

Thanks for the reply, back out tomorrow.
Bluey

Post by Bluey »

giancarlo wrote: My biggest problem is the occasional blown relay that allows bike to start after priming. happens about every other yr or so. Sometimes I have to take the fan relay and switch it over to get home.
That's strange but familiar one... i used to have a 2002 900SS which did the same thing. I used to carry a couple (yes more than one) of spare relays with me in a jacket pocket.
giancarlo

Post by giancarlo »

I always joke with my wife that taking the 907 offers two thrills, one for the ride and an extra one if you make it home. She has a '01 600 F4i which is never touched and runs perfect every time, where's the fun in that!
giancarlo

Post by giancarlo »

Nickta, so i must also unscrew the 6 nuts holding the pump to the tank, no?
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

The 6 nuts are there to hold the plastic bit with the clip to the rubber mount of the pump. The pump itself goes through the rubber and is held there with a ridge around the pump, that fits into a slot inside the rubber sleeve. The 2 clips holding it all in may be a little stiff to move, but that should be all that is holding the assembly in place.

There will be a mesh filter over the bottom of the pump that keeps the larger chunks of crap out of the pump. There is also a hose off this that goes to the degasser (from a very poor memory!). As to why the degasser is there, well, I have no idea? Maybe to stop high pressure fuel returning to the tank stirring up and frothing fuel in the tank?

Cheers.

Nick.