Clutch Leak??

discussions specific to the 907IE
paulmozzi
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Clutch Leak??

Post by paulmozzi »

Hi guys, I just went out to take a ride, and I noticed a puddle of brake fluid on the floor. My clutch reservoir was dry. I did not have time to take the fairings off, I am going to do that this week. I am not sure how to trouble shoot my problem. I have no pressure at the clutch lever, even after refilling the reservoir. How can i tell if I need a Master Cylinder, Slave cylinder, or could it be something else? As always, thank you for all of your help! I appreciate you all. Happy Memorial day!

Warm regards,

Paul
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Re: Clutch Leak??

Post by englishstiv »

most likely the outer slave cylinder seal, easily serviced with the service kit and readily available from your local Ducati dealer for the 907ie and in the UK reasonably priced so I imagine likewise for you folks over the pond?
I have just done mine about 3 month ago.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

no matter when you attempt to fix the problem, wash the fluid from the engine or fairing asap or it will damage the paint.
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Thank you guys. The fluid was dripping down off of the exhaust pipe. I didn't see any fluid on the fairing. I am going to take the fairing off this week and have a look. I was not sure if I should just go ahead and replace the clutch master and slave cylinder since these are both the O.E. units. Thank you for the info!
Warm regards,
Paul
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

I am having trouble finding the outer seal part #. Do you know what the service kit part # is? Thanks again for all of the help!
Warm regards,
Paul
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

If no one lets you know sooner I will check my receipt when I return home from work this weekend, if you still have problems getting the part I can happily sort it for you from over here.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Thank you, I am going to take it apart this weekend. I appreciate your help.
Warm regards,
Paul :beer:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Stiv, which of the three are you referring to?
Attachments
Unbenannt-2.jpg
Unbenannt-2.jpg (106.39 KiB) Viewed 12452 times
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

The kit I purchased was a full set replacement in one bag. It is a full service kit sold by Ducati. It is the same one used with several models apparently? Either way it fixed my problem which was an internal leak on the shaft input seal.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi Stiv.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for the clutch pressure to drop off. I have just had the 907 in storage for the last 8 months. Clutch was tight as a drum when I left, and was loose when I got back. A week later after pulling the clutch lever in and out a few times the pressure is now gone entirely. I haven't had a moment to bleed the system, and it will come back when I do (it has happened before), but I'm wondering where the pressure has gone (leaky seals?) and more the point, where has the clutch fluid gone?

Cheers.

Nick.
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

I believe I have found the kit part #, 19590023B. $60.00 online.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

Yes I can confirm your Product code 19590023B it is known as the "PISTON748-996B" UK price November 2016 was £27.79 collected by hand. So your price would be around the £45.00 mark if paid for in UK pounds. :,( :,(

Also re your question "Nickta"

My bike has been a real pain this last year with persistent regulator/charging issues which mean it is only used for local rides until I know the battery is dying a death before coming home and pulling her apart to re investigate the reason which I am certain is in the wiring loom somewhere. This means several fairly long lay ups as I travel for work. The clutch was getting soft and I re bled the system several separate occasions before finally getting the service kit. Although I did not have any major fluid loss it was obviously weeping or not actually getting a lot of fluid in when bled. The inner seal that sits over the shaft on inspection looked as if it had some wear on it and I think this was the culprit as the area obviously was damp with fluid. The amount of fluid lost could easily of been drawn away while riding and just been dragged back onto the chain so not actually a full on visible leak.

Since being replaced I have had NO pressure drop off at all.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

I took the slave cylinder off, and the big accordion like seal has a kink in it. It is the seal that Paso750 posted in the picture above to the far left. I don't remember seeing this seal in the picture of the rebuild kit # 1959023B. Does anyone know if this seal comes in the kit, or do I need to order this one separately? Have a good weekend!
Warm regards, Paul
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Sorry guys, i found the part # for this seal, it is the clutch rod plug # 67210061A. Is it possible that the leak could be from this seal being kinked?
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Sorry for my ignorance, but I only see two small seals on the clutch rod. Are these the seals I need to replace? The fluid was coming from the outside of the slave cylinder. I can't figure out how to take the slave cylinder apart. The seals on the clutch rod look smaller than the diameter of the rod. Thank you for your patience and help!
Warm regards,
Paul