repainting gas tank costs

discussions specific to the 907IE

repainting gas tank costs

Post by 1564 »

i am looking to pick up a used tank and would like to repaint in as new factory condition, any body have a ball park painting fee :lick:

Post by 1564 »

:lick: i love it when i answer my own questions, maybe i need to start my own site :funny: :funny: any way irby design location in santa cruz is familiar with ducati paint and can do a repaint on a clean tank for approxly$ 250-300 dollars a new tank from power sport pro is available for $1380.00 :sad: i will try using jb weld first and then repair and paint tank if this solution does not work...tks for the help to all
Doc

Post by Doc »

:thumbdown: on the JB Weld -- it will only be a TEMPORARY solution if it works at all.
Call around to some shops and ask if they know of/use in welders that are familiar with this type of repair.
You could also contact some welders directly.
Basic process is the drain the tank.
The welder will pressurize it with an inert gas like Nitrogen (they should NOT use water -- it WILL explode).
Then they can weld it up for ya!
Hope that helps. :D
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

Doc wrote::thumbdown: on the JB Weld -- it will only be a TEMPORARY solution if it works at all.
My repair has only been working for about ten years now... :D

But yes, there are better solutions out there. Again though, I'd be happier to have it brazed than welded. It was a weld that broke in the first place. The brazing will have a larger surface area so should spread the forces out over a larger area - theoretically it will be stronger.
-Craig