I'd forgotten what great bike this is to ride

discussions specific to the 907IE
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

I'd forgotten what great bike this is to ride

Post by Derek »

Yesterday I took the time to repair the starter motor on my 907. I had changed the brushes in the winter of 2015/16 in an attempt to improve the sluggish turnover. There was nothing wrong with the brushes that came out but I fitted the new ones anyway. They made no difference to the starter.
Then at the end of the 2016 season the starter stopped working - one of the brushes had stuck. So over the winter I removed the starter again, freed off the stuck brush and made sure it was moving freely. This was fine until early June this year and the same thing happened again.
Knowing that I'd have to go through all the business of draining the oil and coolant to get the side over off so that I could remove the starter I left until yesterday when I had nothing better to do (I have 2 other Ducatis that I ride regularly).
This time when I pulled it apart I could see that the earthing brush was well and truly stuck in it's holder and, more to the point, there was a fair bit of corrosion on the brush backplate assembly. Evidence that a fair bit of damp had been getting in.
Since there was nothing wrong with them I rebuilt the starter using the original brushes. It was at this point I discovered where the water had been getting in. The post to which the cable attaches goes through a rectangular piece of plastic which locates on the inside of the cap. On the outside of the cap there should be a rubber seal over which goes a plastic cover then a washer and screw to tighten it up. When I stripped the starter to replace the brushes the rubber seal disintegrated and I had fitted an O-ring in it's place. But the O-ring hadn't completely filled the gap and water must have leaked past it. This time I cut a small grommet to form a top hat shape with a hole through it and fitted this onto the post. Tightening down the plastic cap squeezed it so that it filled the space completely. This time I am confident that it will keep the water out.
I fitted it all back together, tried the starter and the bike started instantly :D

Since I hadn't been out on the bike for 3 months I just had to take it for a run. I had forgotten what a delight it is to ride. It is comfortable with very good ergonomics although the footrests are a little high. Apart from the footrests, in this respect it compares very well with my new Supersport 939. The handling is very, very stable and apart from the biggest of bumps is very compliant and comfortable, although the forks could do with slightly heavier springs to match my weight. I managed to bottom them once on hitting a bump under heavy braking.
The fuel injection on my bike is a good as any of the modern Ducatis that I have ridden. I wasn't so good when I got the bike but I took the time to set up the TPS and fuel trim and throttle body balance very carefully and can't fault it now. I know of the tip about fitting a restrictor to the air pressure sensor intake to damp out pressure variations but I have had no problems and never found the need to.
Best of all though is the screen. I'm amazed that even at 100 mph + speeds it is superbly quiet and free of turbulence. I don't know if this is particular to the 907 with it's NACA duct but it really does work. I've ridden many modern bikes whose screen aerodynamics are utter rubbish.
The only downside is the brakes which I really must look at this winter as, like others have noted, I'm sure they used to be better.

Unfortunately winter is nearly upon us and I won't use my bikes once there is salt on the roads, so not much more riding left this year but I will be certain to use the 907 much more next year :)
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Re: I'd forgotten what great bike this is to ride

Post by Tamburinifan »

+1, it is a really well handling bike.
And +1 on the screen, really works good, sooo much better than my MTS 1100s.
For my 190cm, 23mm lowered/forward pegs and 14mm higher handlebars made it really comfortable.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Hi Derek.

I'm not sure if I had a win with brakes, as the 907 is how parked up for a bit. In the process of readying the bike for its sleep, I left it out in the sun after washing it. The front brake lever travel is now minimal. Draw on the lever as much as you like it doesn't get anywhere near the grip on the handlebar. Before leaving it in the sun, a static brake test had it almost touching. Admittedly this is in a nice cool room without any warmth in the system. All I can think what has happened is the brake fluid got pretty warm, and any residual air in the system vented through the reservoir?

If you are running into winter over there, getting a sunny day many be allusive at the moment!

Cheers.
Nick.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

This is Scotland Nick. Getting a sunny day at any time of year is allusive :lol:

Parking the bike in the hot sun is a new one on me. The usual trick people tell me about is cable tying the lever to the bars overnight. I was always sceptical about that until I was filling up the brake system on the Pantah I was restoring last year. For the life of me I just couldn't get pressure at the front brake lever. In desperation I tied the lever back and bugger me it worked! I've never managed to figure out how. Nor as far as I can see has anyone else, although there are lots of theories going around.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland