Fuel pump/lines/filter

discussions specific to the 907IE
Leftfield
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Fuel pump/lines/filter

Post by Leftfield »

Hello ,

This is my 1st post after many hours of reading all of this great info . Thank you to all who give to this forum .

I am the original owner of a '92 907ie (25,000 mi) . I am waking her up after a lengthy slumber and all has gone well ... until today .All of my questions are related to 'inside the tank' . I do have a tendency to 'overthink' things . Sorry .

The inside of the tank looks pretty good ... not much rust or any real visible clues as to the real health of everything in there . In retrospect , my attempt to start the bike without completely going through everything was in poor judgement . After I reinstalled the injectors after a rebuild/service , I turned the key and the pump did ..nothing . I checked for power at the connector under the tank , and all was well . One thing that I did notice was that when the key was turned , I would have power for about 5 seconds and then I would hear a click from what sounded like a relay (?) and then power would cease . This seemed to be consistent with how I remember it acted many years ago . So ...

1. After getting everything apart ... I hooked up the pump (with no lines attached , holding it in my hand) , and the darn thing shot fuel 10 feet across my shop . When I originally tried it , I had a hose on the 'output/supply' that led into a bucket . Why would the pump not operate then , but yet it did function normally after removal ? Even if the pump is/was fine , I get to buy another one because I broke the hose fitting off during removal . oops .

2. After complete dis-assembly I figured that making sure all of the hard lines in the tank were clear would be a good idea ... I noticed a couple of things that seemed odd.
A. the line that goes up to the bottom of the fuel cap is blocked . It will not accept air . Since the other vent line is clear ... my thinking is that as long as I do not overfill the tank I will be ok . Am I correct in this assumption ? The other vent line is fine .
B. I realize that the 'return' port on the bottom of the tank has a one-way valve in it that prevents all of the fuel from draining during tank removal . When I blow through that line into the tank using just my breath , it seems plugged . When I gently use an air hose it will allow air to pass . Does this seem normal ? I see that the fitting is removable . Maybe a good question would be ... what is the return line psi ?

3. I used a good quality fuel injection hose to make up all new lines on the engine . However , I wonder if being 'submerged' in the tank is ok . What type of hose is rated for that ? All of the vent lines are very thin-walled ... almost like a vacuum hose . What is appropriate here ?

4. The strainer that attaches to the bottom of the tank is in poor shape . Can anyone advise where I might get one . In the US preferably .

Thank you for your time .

JD
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Re: Fuel pump/lines/filter

Post by Derek »

When the fuel pump doesn't run at switch on I'd be checking the electrics. particularly the 2 relays, before pulling the tank to bits.

For the fuel line you need submersible fuel hose to the same or similar spec to this :https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/ru ... -2190-0615
or this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walbro-SUBME ... QVHqqG-wbA
It tends to be expensive.

The line from the bottom of the filler cap is the drain. If it is blocked not only will overflowed fuel not drain away, neither will water from rain or when you wash the bike, with the end result that it will end up in the fuel tank causing rust and poor running if the pump picks it up. I found the drain on mine had blocked and it took me some time poking with a length of thin wire before I finally got it clear.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Leftfield

Post by Leftfield »

Hello and Thank you ,

I confirmed that I had power to the connector under the tank before I tore into it . Just judging by the condition of the hoses alone , I am glad to get a chance to 'make new' again .

Now if my hands were a bit smaller !!

The filter seems pretty generic , it fact it appears identical to one that I installed in my R1150RS last week . Is it anything special ?

JD
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

as Derek stated the spec of in-tank fuel lines is SAE J30R10
You can find more info in this file:
https://app.box.com/s/ut9pl8qs48zin0rbwf016cal8vtybvb2
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Derek »

Leftfield wrote: The filter seems pretty generic , it fact it appears identical to one that I installed in my R1150RS last week . Is it anything special ?
A Mahle KL145 should do the job, same as used on many BMWs.

1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic

Scotland
Leftfield

Post by Leftfield »

Thank you . I had a new BMW filter and am planning to use it .

I have a new 'strainer basket' , that lives at the bottom of the pump and a fuel sender/float(mine is about 1/2 full of fuel) coming from Stein Dinse . With those parts , and the new pump from Bevel Steve , I should be good . However ...

The vent tube that allows water (or fuel) to drain from the cap , is hopelessly plugged . I have tried many different sizes of wire and all seem to go in about the same length and then stop . It appears that it is the curve of the pipe that is prohibiting the wire from advancing , rather that the blockage itself .

I have filled the tube with a 'rust dissolver' and even tried some MEK . So far , I am stumped . I do see an opportunity to cut the tube in the tank , which would then give me a nice straight shot to run wire through ... but geez , that sure seems like a bit 'caveman' to me .

Any ideas ??

Thx , JD
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Derek »

I don't know if it is possible BUT some of the later bikes like the carbed 900ss have a stub in the base of the tank which a rubber hose connects to the other end of the hose connects to another stub on the vase of the fuel filler to drain away water and spillage.
It may be possible to cut the inner steel tube above and below the blockage and slip a rubber tube over the ends to provide a through passage. The tube has to be a good quality that will stand immersion and must be well clamped at the joints or the fuel will leak out of the tank.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic

Scotland
alfa10530
year: 1991

Post by alfa10530 »

I believe that your fuel pump was seized when you tried to operate it but soon as you took it out and it was shaken it got unstuck.
The non-return valve operation sounds normal if you consider that the system operates at 3 bars.
I have used good quality “Gates” Fuel hose. When I got it I didn’t think about asking if it is submergible but it’s been some time now in the tank and there are no signs of wear.
The fuel filter that was suggested above is actually the one that Ducati dealerships give now.
Other OEM numbers you could look for are:

16142325859 - BMW
13321461265 - BMW
13321460453 - BMW
1240850 - TRIUMPH
88585 - CAGIVA
800088585 - CAGIVA
42440041A - DUCATI
0241441800 - DUCATI
42540041B - DUCATI
42540041A - DUCATI

and those are aftermarket ones:

MAHLE FILTER: KL145
MANN-FILTER: MWK44
PUROLATOR: F57123, PFC39
UFI: 3176000, 31.760.00
VALEO: 587013
KNECHT: KL145, FB759, KL20
SOFIMA: S 1760 B, S1760B
A.L. FILTER: ALG621
DELPHI: FF0122
FRAM: G3
HOFFER: 4255
MEAT & DORIA: 4255
QUINTON HAZELL: WF8140
Duc77
year: 1991

Post by Duc77 »

Leftfield wrote:Hello ,

This is my 1st post after many hours of reading all of this great info . Thank you to all who give to this forum .

I am the original owner of a '92 907ie (25,000 mi) . I am waking her up after a lengthy slumber and all has gone well ... until today .All of my questions are related to 'inside the tank' . I do have a tendency to 'overthink' things . Sorry .

The inside of the tank looks pretty good ... not much rust or any real visible clues as to the real health of everything in there . In retrospect , my attempt to start the bike without completely going through everything was in poor judgement . After I reinstalled the injectors after a rebuild/service , I turned the key and the pump did ..nothing . I checked for power at the connector under the tank , and all was well . One thing that I did notice was that when the key was turned , I would have power for about 5 seconds and then I would hear a click from what sounded like a relay (?) and then power would cease . This seemed to be consistent with how I remember it acted many years ago . So ...

1. After getting everything apart ... I hooked up the pump (with no lines attached , holding it in my hand) , and the darn thing shot fuel 10 feet across my shop . When I originally tried it , I had a hose on the 'output/supply' that led into a bucket . Why would the pump not operate then , but yet it did function normally after removal ? Even if the pump is/was fine , I get to buy another one because I broke the hose fitting off during removal . oops .

2. After complete dis-assembly I figured that making sure all of the hard lines in the tank were clear would be a good idea ... I noticed a couple of things that seemed odd.
A. the line that goes up to the bottom of the fuel cap is blocked . It will not accept air . Since the other vent line is clear ... my thinking is that as long as I do not overfill the tank I will be ok . Am I correct in this assumption ? The other vent line is fine .
B. I realize that the 'return' port on the bottom of the tank has a one-way valve in it that prevents all of the fuel from draining during tank removal . When I blow through that line into the tank using just my breath , it seems plugged . When I gently use an air hose it will allow air to pass . Does this seem normal ? I see that the fitting is removable . Maybe a good question would be ... what is the return line psi ?

3. I used a good quality fuel injection hose to make up all new lines on the engine . However , I wonder if being 'submerged' in the tank is ok . What type of hose is rated for that ? All of the vent lines are very thin-walled ... almost like a vacuum hose . What is appropriate here ?

4. The strainer that attaches to the bottom of the tank is in poor shape . Can anyone advise where I might get one . In the US preferably .

Thank you for your time .

JD
Hi Leftfield,

at page 9 from 907i.e workshop manual you have a pic of all about fuel tank and hoses. Take a look, probably you will understand better cause shows the direction of fuel into the hoses. You can get the manual here on the forum.

Good luck!!!