count revolutions gear

discussions specific to the 907IE
Duc77
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

count revolutions gear

Post by Duc77 »

Hi again,

The count rev gear doesn't work ok,the interior where the cable go in slip, normally is the cable that turns round but no this time and my Ducati dealer says doesn't produce

Anybody knows where can i find it? I'm waiting some answers from other ducati foro but no answers at a moment

At parts catalogue is on page 27, piece number 13. I'll try to add a pic.

Thanks a lot.
Duc77

Re: count revolutions gear

Post by Duc77 »

I don't know why i can't upload the picture. :banghead:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I think the problem may be the cable not the drive.
However you can still get them. I.e. https://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Ducati ... .l4275.c10
Duc77

Post by Duc77 »

Thanks @paso750,

But the cable is ok, i bought a new one thinking was the cable,normally the connections turns round, but not now.
I tested all the sistem without de cable cover and works but when there's a minimum pressure, friction on it, the drive still moving but not the cable, then i suposse is the drive.

Sorry if i can't explain better, I have to practice more english :D

Thanks again.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

I had a problem with the tacho on my 907. The drive was turning with plenty of power available. The cable was intact and turning strongly but the revcounter wasn't registering. It turned out that the cable was a poor fit in the revcounter socket. Either the square on the end of the cable was worn or it was too short and wasn't mating properly with the matching square hole in the revcounter head. A new cable fixed it. Perhaps you have similar problem with the cable at the drive end.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Willo

Post by Willo »

This is an old problem that was there right from the start when the 907 was produced.
The problem is the drive. The "square" hole in the drive is a tad too big. It works with a new cable but fairly soon rounds off the corners of the cable. The cable starts to slip but not all the time but gets worse over time.
The fix is easy, make the cable bigger. I got a friend to build up the cable and then gradually filed the square again. It took awhile, check fit, file a bit, check fit and file. You get the picture. I did this 60,000 km ago and haven't had an ounce of trouble since.

Good luck, it's worth the effort.
Willo from Australia
Willo
Wannon Victoria Australia
91 907ie
95 748
Duc77

Post by Duc77 »

Hi everybody, sorry for the waitting. :-( :-(

Thanks Derek and Willo for your answers :thumbup: . I didn't resolve the problem yet cause too much time without the bike on and decided mount all again and ride this summer around mi country.

The drive rounds perfectly but when connect the cable a minimum pressure on it makes stop again. I've never seen if the square is short.

How your friend filed the cable? I tried some options but doesn't result and i don't want stick with some glue cause if at the end the cable breaks the problem will be worst. :oops: and i know isn't the solution.
At a moment i won't do any job to the bike, but i'll let you know in future about it.

Thanks a lot.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Probably the best way to build up the cable would be with solder. You will need to thoroughly degrease the end of the cable then use a bath of molten solder to dip it in after dipping it in a flux first. Killed spirits is the best flux for this. Once you have built up a layer of solder you can then carefully file it down for a good fit.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Duc77

Post by Duc77 »

Derek wrote:Probably the best way to build up the cable would be with solder. You will need to thoroughly degrease the end of the cable then use a bath of molten solder to dip it in after dipping it in a flux first. Killed spirits is the best flux for this. Once you have built up a layer of solder you can then carefully file it down for a good fit.
Thanks a lot for your answer Derek,

I'll try to do next time i have to check the bike cause rides ok now :thumbup: