Quick Tank Grommet experiment

discussions specific to the 907IE
demidesmo
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Quick Tank Grommet experiment

Post by demidesmo »

So, I inherited the bike with only 2 ageing Tank retaining grommets.

I wanted to check to see if the cheap China sourced Honda CG125 parts would replace the originals at a fraction of the price of the originals (if you can find them).

So I received a about 24 pieces of tanks grommets for less than €5 including postage, so far so good.

initial comparison... they are quite different in size to the Ducati part.

Either too wide or too narrow. So clipped the wide piece so there was room to give

and with a trim tool easily placed it in the tank hole.
The rubber isn't that flexible and you'll need to grease them a little to make sure they let go once the panel is in place.

but they are ok, given the price and availability, and I'll be using these while I sort out some of the original fitments.

Just thought i'd share.
streetsurfer
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: Quick Tank Grommet experiment

Post by streetsurfer »

I used round grommets from an ace hardware. They are an exact fit. They form to the oval when inserted.
a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Re: Quick Tank Grommet experiment

Post by a330us »

A little update, I needed a good handful of these and called Omaha Ducati here in the states and furnished them with the part number that G had and they said no problem but had to come from Italy in about a week. I ordered 20 and cost me about 38 usd including postage. They were much cheaper than the Honda ones that I tried to match up and total time of not quite 2 weeks. Arch.