Another 907 back on the road (almost)!

discussions specific to the 907IE
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Another 907 back on the road (almost)!

Post by Mc tool »

They must be gettin worth more.....Mrs has anounced that instead of languishing in the shed she wants it cleaned and painted and parked in the hall where the buffet is now
They are a weird type of bloke, when I got the thing she didn't want it on the property
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Texas907ie
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Texas907ie »

In the US values for the 907 bottomed out a few years back at $2500, but have been climbing and they are now valued between $5000 and $6000. Hopefully you are seeing a similar appreciation for the 906 in New Zealand.
Thebenelliman
year: 1992

Post by Thebenelliman »

Parts are becoming scarce but I have found people on this forum very helpful and there are many alternatives available to fix things. The best way of keeping a bike running well is to use it!
The Benelliman
1992 907ie
1981 Benelli 900 Sei
1989 Benelli 900 Sei
1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
1981 Benelli 250 2c
1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
1980 Benelli 254
Texas907ie

Post by Texas907ie »

I checked in with a guy who lives near me and owns a 907IE. We met because he used to coordinate an Italian car show each year and I registered to show my Ducati one year and met him. Just checked in with him and he is focused on mountain biking now so the 907 has been sitting - just like mine did. Hopefully I will be able to pester him into getting it back on the road again as well. It would be something to ride around in a flight of two 907s!
Texas907ie

Post by Texas907ie »

Great news!
I took last Friday off and went to pick up the 907 from the shop. Planned to ride north to Denton then out by the airport, observatory, the old Nike missile base and back but rain started about halfway there so went to Arlington to surprise the guy I bought the 907 from in 2001. He was thrilled to see (and hear) it running again and we had a great visit. Left there and about a quarter mile away it stalled.... Long story short, a fuel clamp wasn't tight enough and the fuel line blew off the filter inside the tank. Next day the shop had it diagnosed and fixed in a few minutes and I was back on the road. A side note - the fuel gauge was no longer working and they said the sensor was bad, but surprisingly they are still available from Ducati for $38! Should get that fixed in a couple weeks - meanwhile it is ..... I cannot find the words to describe how great it is to have this bike back on the road. It will be ridden regularly until I can no longer ride! If you guys ever need me, I will be watching these forums and will be available - thanks to all of you for constantly maintaining your vigil and supporting those of us still riding the 907!!
Thebenelliman

Post by Thebenelliman »

The first ride is a great feeling, someone said to me don’t you get bored! I said I enjoy riding more know than I ever have ! If you ride a bike you will have friends all over the world!
The Benelliman
1992 907ie
1981 Benelli 900 Sei
1989 Benelli 900 Sei
1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
1981 Benelli 250 2c
1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
1980 Benelli 254
Texas907ie

Post by Texas907ie »

Today is the start of Labor Day weekend in the US; most folks have Monday off to celebrate.
I kicked off the weekend having breakfast with friends this morning and unveiling the resurrected Ducati. I live in the DFW area and so after breakfast rode to Forestburg, Tioga, and back. You are not kidding about having friends all over - at a gas stop in Denton, TX a man approached who had been a motorcycle dealer years ago and remembered the 907 well. He was astounded at the condition it was still in and eager to share his memory of selling Ducatis. Then, before I could ride off a younger couple pulled up quickly - they chased me through traffic just to find out what the bike was and what year it was built. Very cool to have people at two ends of the age spectrum so affected by the beauty of a 907. When the bike launched I understand some thought it was ugly - but I have never experienced anyone expressing that reaction.

Today was a day that made me thankful for being alive, for the weather, the great roads, and those amazing Italians and the passion they put into their machinery.

I hope you all have a day like this soon!
Thebenelliman

Post by Thebenelliman »

Have just got my 907 in the workshop to fit new chain and sprockets, then I’ll take her for a spin in a few weeks time. 907 you either hate them or love them! When I saw a Paso at the Earls Court Bike Show I thought it was the best looking bike I had ever seen, it took me thirteen years before I had one a boy it doesn’t disappoint.
The Benelliman
1992 907ie
1981 Benelli 900 Sei
1989 Benelli 900 Sei
1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
1981 Benelli 250 2c
1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
1980 Benelli 254
Texas907ie

Post by Texas907ie »

After the fuel clamp issue was resolved (see above) I assumed I was all set. Today took a ride out to Jacksboro, TX for a "Herd Burger". On the way back my partner passed a truck pulling a trailer at about 70mph. When there was an opening I down shifted two gears, whacked the throttle open and it was like I hit a wall. For the remaining 30 miles home the situation degraded to the point that I could barely get above 4000rpm, and it wouldn't hold 70mph. Trying to open the throttle just resulted in reduced power and decreasing speed. My guess is fuel pressure is the problem and if the pump checks out then there may be pressure loss in the hoses inside the tank. The shop said they took the pump apart, cleaned it and it worked after reassembly. They also replaced the lines in the tank and the filter.

Have any of you experienced this or have ideas?
Thanks!
Thebenelliman

Post by Thebenelliman »

Sorry to hear you have issues, try some simple things; has a wire come off a sensor around the Engine, check the spark plugs to get an idea if it’s flooding or starving itself of fuel. Assuming it has had a new filter in the fuel system, has this clogged with dirt from the tank.
All worth checking as it costs nothing!
Hope you find what it is?
The Benelliman
1992 907ie
1981 Benelli 900 Sei
1989 Benelli 900 Sei
1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
1981 Benelli 250 2c
1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
1980 Benelli 254
Duc77

Post by Duc77 »

Congratulations!!! nice bike and enjoy it!!!

But you are wrong about there is only one registered in U.K. doesn't matter! Looking by internet i've seen some more a while ago. Derek has confirmed it!!

In my country there are very few, probably less than 10 and two or three ridding only but i don't know anymore. Every time i go to a ducati show/meeting here, people freak out to see my 907 and more, when i'm ridding alone normally about more than 1000km.

It's good to see are still alive some units around the world but the problem are the spares haha! specially the fairing and mirrors .

By the way mine has Silmotor cans and sounds great!!!

Regards.
Duc77

Post by Duc77 »

Texas907ie wrote:After the fuel clamp issue was resolved (see above) I assumed I was all set. Today took a ride out to Jacksboro, TX for a "Herd Burger". On the way back my partner passed a truck pulling a trailer at about 70mph. When there was an opening I down shifted two gears, whacked the throttle open and it was like I hit a wall. For the remaining 30 miles home the situation degraded to the point that I could barely get above 4000rpm, and it wouldn't hold 70mph. Trying to open the throttle just resulted in reduced power and decreasing speed. My guess is fuel pressure is the problem and if the pump checks out then there may be pressure loss in the hoses inside the tank. The shop said they took the pump apart, cleaned it and it worked after reassembly. They also replaced the lines in the tank and the filter.

Have any of you experienced this or have ideas?
Thanks!
Open the tank gap, look inside, and turn the key. probably a hose switch it off again. If the pump works ok you have to see the fuel going anywhere inside the tank like a source(protect your face).
By the way the sound of the engine was normal.You describe similar feelings like when a coil doesn't works correctly. Would not be bad to check the connection from coils to spark plugs. Don't worry cause these problems are easy to repair oneself.

Waiting for your answer,let us know about the problem.
Good luck!
Texas907ie

Post by Texas907ie »

Thanks Duc77 for the ideas!
I ended up taking it back to the shop - they had previously disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the fuel pump and thought it was good. I was convinced it was the fuel pump because the sound you hear when you first switch the key on and the fuel pressure builds was not right - sounded sick. So I was able to ride back to the shop with no problem. They took everything out of the tank and made sure all was correct, bench tested the fuel pump and it seemed to give normal pressure too. After reassembly their test drive resulted in the same experience I had, and they ordered a new fuel pump. Meanwhile the fuel gauge sender arrived so that is installed and working again. Should have the 907 back by this weekend.

A side note - I thought the fuel pump would be fairly standard and interchangeable with other Ducatis. But the tech said he had not seen that pump in other bikes, that is was twice as big as the typical pump, and was still available from the manufacturer directly. Hopefully they will continue to be available! Also, in the US the idiots in charge have mandated ethanol be added to all the fuels and there is some thought this may have also contributed to the failure of the pump.

Can't wait to get her back!
Duc77

Post by Duc77 »

Here added ethanol too and at the moment no problem. I'll pray to continue in the same way haha!!!

About the size of the pump i have no idea(i know how is mine) but remember seeing some by internet time ago.

If you have any problem to find it: Fuel Pump REF4304411A that's the reference about 907i.e '92 U.S.A parts catalogue.

A side note: Some references have changed over time but ducati dealers has the new ones. I know cause I could check it in my last order in some differents parts.

Good luck!!
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Same pump is fitted to the 851.
In the UK this alternative is available: https://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/ti-automot ... er-pi-022/
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland