Need help finding a Water Pump Cover

discussions specific to the 907IE
RadRan
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Need help finding a Water Pump Cover

Post by RadRan »

I have a 93' 907ie and the screw that is used to drain the coolant stripped out. I thought it wouldn't be to hard to just buy a new cover, boy was I wrong. If I can't find one, the only option I have is taking it to a machine show to have it tap-out.
Is there anyone on this forum that might be able to point me to a parts person and/or company that may have one of these available to sell to me.
I've searched on ebay and found a couple used ones, but they are in terrible condition.
This water pump cover is used on the 851 & 888 engines as well.

The Ducati P/N is: 24710091A (Complete Water Cover Pump)

Thanks for your help,

RadRan
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Re: Need help finding a Water Pump Cover

Post by Derek »

If I remember correctly the coolant drain on the 907 has an M6 thread. The covers from the later bikes use a larger size, M8 I think, although the screw looks the same externally with the same size head. It should be easy to drill and tap the hole to take the larger size and fit the screw from a later bike.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
RadRan

Post by RadRan »

Yes, the M6 is the screw and tread used on the 907 cover. The only worries I have is that if it gets tap, there's not much flat surface left for a good seal from leaks happening, it starts rounding off.
The easy solution is to replace the cover out, with no issues. But finding one on the other hand is not so easy. That's why I'm reaching out to my fellow 907ie owners for guidance. Thanks!
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Don't be searching using only the part # as it's probly been superceded ,might have better luck searching by description.
There are quite a few brand new pump covers on eBay now ,some CNC machined ones too
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Derek »

There is an 851 water pump cover on eBay UK right now for £20.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-851-1 ... SwIHlaYf0D
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic

Scotland
RadRan

Post by RadRan »

Thanks Derek for pointing this one out on eBay. I seen it on my early search, but it's not in the best condition. The front cover pic shows a lot of pitting on the metal and at the hose connection. Wonder what the inside looks like? No pics showing.
If I find one in a little better condition, I'll most definitely jump on it!
Ducatipaso folks - please keep an eye out for one and let me know. Molto apprezzato!

-Randy
RadRan

Post by RadRan »

I pulled off the water pump cover today to see about taking it in to a machine shop to have the drain screw threads tap on the cover.
I have a question, I tried to rotate the plastic impeller of the water pump by hand and it does move. Is this normal?

Thanks
RadRan

Post by RadRan »

How does one know that the water pump is not working on their Duc? What's to look for? What happens when it stops working?
I got the drain screw tapped and I'm going to put it back on, but I have questions regarding the water pump. I tried to move the plastic impeller and it doesn't rotate around freely. Is that normal?

Thanks for everyone's help in answering my questions.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Derek »

I thought I had replied to your previous post yesterday but I must have messed up because my reply obviously isn't here.
The opposite end of the impeller shaft has a tab that engages in the timing crossover shaft. So it should not be free to rotate but will rotate with the crossover shaft when the engine is turning. if you grasp it there will probably be a little rotational free movement depending how snug a fit the tab is into the slot in the crossover.
If the pump isn't working the engine will overheat quite quickly.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic

Scotland
RadRan

Post by RadRan »

Thanks Derek.
I do have an issue with the bike over heating, reason drain screw issue happened. Water temp gauge on dashboard raises and pegs out and fan should kick on before hand, but doesn't and the coolant pours out of the radiator reservoir drain hose. I checked the fan, it it turns on with 12 volt applied. The wiring has 12 volts going to the fan thermo switch (purple/black). I checked the fan thermo switch with ohm meter and boiling water and it switches at temp. The radiator isn't clogged. That's about as far as I can go in diagnosing the issue down. I'm going to put it all back together and take it to a guy that works on these bikes to see if he can fix it. He will also be doing a service on the bike for checking/adjusting the valves and changing belts out. I was hoping to fix this over heating issue, prior to bringing the bike to him in saving some money. These bikes are so temperamental!
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

During normal use the fan shouldn't need to come on . Usually only comes on in bumper to bumper traffic or idling away in the w/shop .
When you use an ohm meter to test this type of switch the current required to operate the meter is very low , where as the fan motor has a relatively high current flow, upshot that the meter might say it's ok when it's not as the dodgy contacts will flow enough current for the meter but not for the fan . These are best tested by hooking up the fan motor in circut . Sounds like the thermostat is jammed shut
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

RadRan

Post by RadRan »

Thanks Mc tool for your insight and suggestion on what might be causing this issue I'm having with my Duc.
What's the best way to test the thermostat in that plastic housing? As everyone knows, they are impossible to just buy another one and replacing it out, unless one wants to buy one from another make bike and re-direct one of the lines.

Thanks paso750. I seen that one on ebay, as well. Looks like the screw to remove the coolant is plugged.
I was able to get the screw hole tap on the cover. So, I think I will be able to use my existing water cover, without having an issue.