The Grand Paso Tour -Self Guided Solo

Local guys get together? Post it here!
gail
year: 0

The Grand Paso Tour -Self Guided Solo

Post by gail »

It is that time of the year again ,get your annual leave sorted out,do all the safety checks, gear up your bike, (PASO of course), and hit the road for the annual Summer Tour, three weeks of touring the south eastern mainland, encompassing Snowy Mountains, Eastern Coastal and Central Victorian Roads including Great Ocean Road.
Its a tough job but someones got to do it.
Leave today from West Coast Tasmania, stay overnight at Burnie , to catch the day sailing of the Ferry "SPIRIT OF TASMANIA " to Melbourne tomorrow, leaving in the morning at 8a.m. for the approx 12 hour crossing.
Get to Melbourne tomorrow evening and ride up the Hume highway to Wangarratta the 'Start Point' , to overnite there.
As no firm plans from there ,Some of the places that I wish to go to are:
Mt Beauty,Mt Buffalo,Bright, Omeo, Khancoban, Corryong, Bendigo, Bermagui, Cooma ,Jindabyne, Bombala, Nimmatabel,Cann River, Narooma, Mallacoota,Lakes Entrance, Warnabool ,Port Fairy, and Towns on Great Ocean Road all these will be weather dependant as the Mainland is experiencing some rainy times at present ,and though it is welcome ,(It has been in drought for years), the tour will need to be mapped to accomodate the weather. But East, West, North or South, its all changeable.
The roads for the trip routes are mostly winding mountain roads, long undulating highways, some dirt( I like my motocross) and winding coastal roads. Roads used will be Hume Highway,Great Alpine Road, Kiewa Valley Highway, Snowy Mountains Highway, Princes Highway, Omeo Highway, Monaro Highway,Northern Midland and G.O.R.
All the roads are good surfaces and some of the best bike roads in the country. Should be around 4-5,000 kms in distance ,so it will really see if the 907 is up for it. I have no doubt of its ability.
Anyhow , I will give an update on the bike and conditions during trip, So catch you all then ......Safe riding..........Marty
gasfireman
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Re: The Grand Paso Tour -Self Guided Solo

Post by gasfireman »

Love an update as you go.

Have fun, ride safe and nail the throttle open............lots
gail
year: 0

Back so soon

Post by gail »

Completed the grand tour,got back approx March 4th and had a ball,as you do without any exterior distractions. All went well the 907 ran superbly and had no mechanical dramas at all.Did about 5,500kms all together ,weather was great,only rained one day while over at the New South Wales south coast ,so just got the hell out of there. Most of the tour was in and around Victoria in the southeast corner of Australia, the roads are all good, though the lonely back tracks were a little rough,but still easily manageable if you watch the speedo. Did get in some night riding on the Hume Highway/freeway overtaking trucks all the way,did some dirt on the Omeo Highway from Omeo to Mitta Mitta, the 907 handled it really well, but I dare say I wasn't flying along either. Went North, South, East and West in Victoria and covered some of the best bike roads on offer.
Did the Alpine way (twice) this was the choice road of the trip with absolutely top surfaces, great views, good towns and immense varied riding, highly recommended.
Went over to the Great Ocean Road from Warrnambool start,surface was chopped up a bit ,although at this stage my tyres were utter rubbish, lots of Grey Nomads (Retirees) on this section all mostly with caravans/campers, coastal scenery was superb.
Also went on Maroondah Highway from Mansfield through to Melbourne another worthy ride in its own right towering rainforest through the Black Spur and fast open good tarmac for the rest.
Changed my oil and tyres in Melbourne . Shell Ultra and Michelin Pilot Power (Dual Compound) Top Tyres , though I am no racer .
Went up to the Riverina Area of Victoria as well Shepparton, Euchaco ,Corowa, Nice open country and relaxing stays near the Murray river.
All in all a great trip and looking forward to next years. As I said the bike ran tops and still managed to get a few admiring glances from passers by,
Its got to be Ducati , and its got to be Paso.
( It may have been bewilderment at the array of gear I had managed to strap onto her!)... Have a good one .....Marty