Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio: ROLL CALL

Local guys get together? Post it here!
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio: ROLL CALL

Post by fasterdammit »

Ducati is the "Featured Marque" ... the event runs July 15-17; you can read more info here and here. There is a whole SLEW of stuff going on all weekend.

Wiggs, I'm sure you & Mel be present? I was itching to go, but since the family will be making the long trip to Ft. Campbell KY and back (long weekend) just two weeks before, I didn't think the girls would be into it. I was going to ride the Paso out to Mid-Ohio (7+ hours from me) but once mrs. faster caught wind of that idea, she thought we should all go. I don't think it's so much a "family thing" as it is a "keep an eye on the checkbook" thing :laugh: but that's alright, long as the girls are there I'm happy. Especially since Sydney has really taken to motorcycles lately.

Anyway, I'm in; hopefully I can catch up with you Mike & Mel? We haven't found a place to hang our hats yet, but I'm working on it.

Who else?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Sounds great, faster. Have a really good time!

BTW, those 'here' links produced 'service unavailable' for me.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Well that's weird ... can you get to their main page: http://www.amadirectlink.com/? If so, the event's homepage is listed in the left hand ("AMA Events", about halfway down) column for July 15-17.

So far, it appears I'm the only board member going ... or at least, the only one in the states who's read this post. :laugh: C'mon, Skins - it'll be a helluva commute! :funny:

Apparently, Ducati is putting on a serious show, including a history of Ducati entitled "Zero to 999" that'll showcase 62 bikes throughout their history. Yes, the cameras will be earning their keep, you bet. ;)
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Thanks, faster. I had a look, and I do wish I could drop in. Oh well ... By the way, I just tried those 'here' links again, and now they work for me.
jfiore
year: 0

Mid-Ohio Vintage Weekend

Post by jfiore »

If the wife says it's OK (and the old girl seems to be running OK) I'm going to make the ride from Connecticut. Since my time to Syracuse is about 4 hours, I guess that it would take me about 11 or 12 hours to Mid-Ohio. At least there should be some good back roads in either PA or upstate NY to make the ride interesting!
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Mid-Ohio Vintage Weekend

Post by fasterdammit »

jfiore wrote:If the wife says it's OK (and the old girl seems to be running OK) I'm going to make the ride from Connecticut. Since my time to Syracuse is about 4 hours, I guess that it would take me about 11 or 12 hours to Mid-Ohio. At least there should be some good back roads in either PA or upstate NY to make the ride interesting!
Yeah, we're looking at a 7-7.5 hour ride to Lexington from Syracuse - and four of those hours will be spent on the I-90 snoozefest, heading straight west and down to Erie, PA.

There are definitely some great roads between Albany and Buffalo, but none of them are marked for 65mph. So your 11-12 hour ride could get even longer if you're not looking at the superslab.

A thought though - routes 5 and 20 pretty much follow I-90 for most of the state, and they're generally 55mph (when you're not in one of the little towns that dot the way). Great scenery, nice roads, plenty of great little places to stop for gas/stretch/replenishment.

Anyway, if you decide to make the trip, let me know and we'll catch up in Ohio! I'll (unfortunately) be trailering Old Blue, and riding shotgun with a buddy who's delivering a bike. We're probably going to stay somewhere outside of Lexington and just take the bikes to the event.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

fasterdammit wrote:...Apparently, Ducati is putting on a serious show, including a history of Ducati entitled "Zero to 999" that'll showcase 62 bikes throughout their history.
One of those 62 bikes will be my '91 907. :thumbup:

My bike will be there all weekend. I'm not sure when I'll be there though. The show runs over my wife's birthday, and I already missed our wedding anniversary last month because I was riding in the Motogiro d'Italia. I need to be careful with this one or I may find myself spending my toy fund on jewelery instead of that S2R I've been eyeing!
-Craig
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

workin',workin' so much i just read some of this forum. looks like i'm late on this thread.
jake,we have a spare room and ya'll are welcome to. rooms in the imediate area are expensive IF vacant. we live 45 miles from the track and some of it is a nice ride.
melody has to work that weekend and i have asked for friday and saturday off so am planning to be there those days. you can stay here the nites and days you want if you decide too. i kinda thought we discussed that last winter.
anyone else need floorspace and a garage for thier bike/car/truck whathaveyou?
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Mike - you did mention putting us up, I appreciate that. I didn't want to bring it up, just 'cuz I'm shy like that ;) but I'm actually riding down with a buddy who already had hotel reservations.

Originally, I didn't think I'd be able to make the VMD because we're travelling to Kentucky two weeks beforehand - and I didn't think the girls would want to make another trip, and then get dragged around while I oh and ah all over the place. But then my buddy needed a rider and so voila!

Thanks for the offer though! But just because we don't crash Chez Wiggs doesn't mean we shouldn't meet up at the show and maybe take a ride around the area if you're available - wanna play tour guide? :laugh:

It looks like we're going to pick up a pair of Ducati Rally passes, too - so we can park our bikes in the infield.

Craig - *your* 907 is in the historical line up? That's freaking AWESOME! Congrats! :thumbup: I'll have an eye out for it. I hear you about missing the Bday, especially if you missed the anniversary (brave man, you are!) but we'll have to meet up somewheres if you do plan to attend.

I don't know what the event is going be like, but maybe we can either try to arrange a time/place to appear, and I may just PM you all my cell phone too.

Mike, really, thanks again for the offer - I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to meeting you in person at the show though.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Alright I'm outta here. On the road early early tomorrow morning and we'll be at the show by mid-afternoon Friday. Wiggs - get in touch! Everybody else - look for pictures next week sometime if I don't see you at the show!
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I'm jealous guys. With a little more organization I could have made it too. Enjoy yourself and snap away.

Regards, B
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

made the event friday (hot,very hot.first sun i've had all summer) and saturday. met jake and his buddy matt and had a good time and really great to put a face with a name. hope you have a safe trip home 2-day jake.the weatherman called for a 70% chance of rain and boy was he right. when it wasn't raining saturday it was getting ready to. my buddys wife called him at the track and said a tornado was sighted a few miles from home.
got a belly buckle from tom rolland, now i want one from skins when they are ready so put me on your list skins.
local dealer i ordered the 1000 gt from just got back from laguna and told me the gt wasn't at the show there but is to be at mid-ohio. well,it didn't make this show either but the smart and sport were very impressive and this will only add to the anticipation for me (not that i need anymore). looks like production of all the sport classics is well ahead of schedule so i may take delivery late winter/early spring,we'll see.
the event was great but as with all things it has come to an end for my as it's back to work in just a few minutes even tho the event is still going on 2-day.
my daughter will be home the end of july and i'll take some time off then so it won't be another 3 months of 80-84 hr weeks b-4 another day off
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

I have been reading postings on this site on and off for about a year or so, but haven't posted. I met a few members at VMD and spoke for a few minutes when I pulled into the track but don't remember who I met. I just wanted to say hi. I wasn't sure if there would be any other 907s there but was pleasantly suprised to see 2 others. I almost sold my 907 this year. Glad I didn't. If there are any other members in the Mid Ohio area, I plan on riding mine there next weekend for the AMA superbike races. It would be great to see other 907s there.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Wiggs - indeed, very good to meet you in person on Saturday. I forgot your buddy's name (sorry) but I'm glad you called and managed to spot us. Definitely makes the Internet a smaller place, meeting people face to face! Sorry we missed out for breakfast but Hungar Payne's certainly had a lot more to offer than the continental at our hotel. ;) Wish I'd had a chance to see the 907, but the 860GTS was a treat all the same. What I like better about yours versus the one inside Ducati's historical tent was that yours is actually ridden. :thumbup:

We arrived late Friday night - as they were packing up, basically - but still got to march around a bit.

Spent Saturday trolling the swamp meet, sitting in for some races, taking plenty of pictures of just about everything and oh yeah - getting wet. Got soaked walking around, went back and put on our wet gear, then get drenched on the roads back to the hotel. Ran under the new BMW tent to drool over the demo rides (oooh, K1200S ... ahhh, K1200R, side by side, black & yellow livery ... :lick: )

We came Sunday for a little while too - caught some more races, watched Christian Pfeiffer defy the laws of gravity, physics and the department of motor vehicles on a Monster S*. Picked up some swag. Goggled many a lust-worthy motorcycle. Even found somebody selling their 1 of 192 Hercules, with a Wankel rotary (pictures shortly).

I did happen to spot another couple Pasos around - two sad sack red 750s, one with a nice set of Ferracci cans and a pair of flatside Mikunis - sold for $1600. Sounded great, but the bodywork was in tough shape & it had a salvaged title. The other was actually being ridden and I could've swore I saw a "$200 obo" sign on it. Don't know if I misread it, but I would've brought it home if that were the case (and it was possible to stop & talk to the owner). No other blues though, and no limiteds that I saw.

All in all a good weekend ... wish we had made it in time to register for the 'Lap of History' though ... not sure if there was any rules on entry, but I would've *loved* to spin the Paso around Mid-Ohio just once. Maybe next year. ;)
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog »

fasterdammit wrote:...Wish I'd had a chance to see the 907, but the 860GTS was a treat all the same. What I like better about yours versus the one inside Ducati's historical tent was that yours is actually ridden. :thumbup:
If you're talking about the orange one, I'm pretty sure the guy just finished the refreshening and hasn't had much of a chance to ride it yet?

I brought the title to my 907 with me just in case I found a buyer for it while I was there. But once there I had a lot of people tell me not to sell it, and even though I did get a few nibbles, I decided to keep it. Funny how after owning it for so long I kind of forget about it/take it for granted or whatever. Then after talking to people about it I started to appreciate it again.

When I was cleaning it up before I left for the show I realized just how much TLC it needs, and how bad the wheels have gotten over the years! Then I drove through rainstorms on the way there and it got filthy again. After putting it in the display I realized I never cleaned the wheels again. Hopefully no one noticed and was too offended. With all the eye candy that was around it, I'm guessing no one looked at it that closely anyway!
-Craig