Proposed European sport bike limitations

Chat about anything not Paso related here
beemerboy
year: 0

Proposed European sport bike limitations

Post by beemerboy »

I've read on other motorcycle web sites that some European countries may ban large displacement (>650cc) sport bikes altogether. :eek: I've also read that European riders may see an increase in minimum age & licensing requirements related to engine size.

Have any of our European members heard anything about this legislation? Is it true? If so, what's your opionion?
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Seems, that motorbikes have currently "too much power" for Young drivers, who havent learned enough driving and too many young peopple have killed caused by that. Its one reason, why they have made new tests for younger drivers and more learning things and also higher age for those more powerfull bikes. And surely hole EU want to homologize they rules for thiskind things...

But that ban(ing) is quite far... :toofar: I havent heard such here in Eu area, but maybe someone have opened his/her mouth in wrong place and wrong time and sayed something very stupid.... I cant see such... :evil:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

Actually in italy, that's so... We have 4 different driving licenses i'm not so sure of details because my "old" driving licence needed different requires, but nowadays there should be:
_"small" licence: 14 years for 50 cc scooters;
_"a1"licence for less than 11kw and 125cc bikes and scooters, 16 yrs aged;
_"a2" licence for less than 25kw bikes over 125cc, al least 3 years after getting the a1 licence or 21 years aged
_"a3" licence for others bikes, I don't know how experienced you need to be.
Actually fastest 125 cc supersport bikes such as "aprilia rs" or "cagiva mito" can run over 170 km/h (over 105mp/h), that is a bit too high for italian streets and the legislator ment to moderate the risks of young riders...
no comment
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

ducapaso wrote:Actually fastest 125 cc supersport bikes such as "aprilia rs" or "cagiva mito" can run over 170 km/h (over 105mp/h)
No more, Nicola.

The 125 bikes now can't have more than 15 hp, so they can be driven with the "B" driving licence. It's true that their engines can be souped up, but this is another thing........

Many years ago the 125 bikes didn't have any power limitation so could run over 170 km/h, as you told.

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Marinus

Strange laws

Post by Marinus »

When I got my licence about 22 years ago there was a rule that you were only allowed up to 250cc for the first year and then what ever you wanted after that. My first road bike was a Honda MVX250 it was a V3 and would do about 190kmh. The strange thing was that at that time the 400cc 4 stroke bikes were much slower and probably a lot safer. It never ceases to amaze me that legislation (laws) are often so antiquated and have little impact on human behaviour. :confused:
I think you are still allowed up to 250cc for your first bike. I wonder how fast they are now.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

ducapaso wrote:Actually in italy, that's so... We have 4 different driving licenses i'm not so sure of details because my "old" driving licence needed different requires, but nowadays there should be:
_"small" licence: 14 years for 50 cc scooters;
_"a1"licence for less than 11kw and 125cc bikes and scooters, 16 yrs aged;
_"a2" licence for less than 25kw bikes over 125cc, al least 3 years after getting the a1 licence or 21 years aged
_"a3" licence for others bikes, I don't know how experienced you need to be.
No matter, these rules are in force in all EU.
The A3 driving licence requires a test with a not less 35 kw bike.

I also ride the bikes with my old licence taken 19 years ago. It allows to drive all kind of bike, whatever was its power.

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
BMW R Nine t 2019
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

You just can't beat the USA for some basic freedoms. Here each state controls driver licensing and basically you can walk in at 16 years old, get your learners permit and ride away on your new Hyabusa.

I'm an old duffer so when I got mt license at 16YO For an extra $5 I got my moto, Bus, Limo, and truck endoresements (license). No permits, no tests. How cool was that!
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

jcslocum wrote:I'm an old duffer so when I got mt license at 16YO For an extra $5 I got my moto, Bus, Limo, and truck endoresements (license). No permits, no tests. How cool was that!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

In USA you have too much freedom...

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
BMW R Nine t 2019
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

persempre907 wrote:
jcslocum wrote:I'm an old duffer so when I got mt license at 16YO For an extra $5 I got my moto, Bus, Limo, and truck endoresements (license). No permits, no tests. How cool was that!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

In USA you have too much freedom...

Ciao
Our country was founded on freedom....freedoms that other countries did not allow..... :D

For Jon's statement, that was many moons ago. These days, there are a lot of restrictions and various degrees/levels of licensing for commercial vehicles based on gross vehicle weight, number of axles, and length of the vehicle (varies from state-to-state). There are also strict logs that must be kept, and special endorsements requiring classes and passing a test to be able to carry items such as hazardous materials, exposives, and the like......It's no-where as relaxed as Jon may have made it appear.....but, many years ago, it was that simple. Many years ago, the roads weren't as heavily traveled, people accepted more responsibility for their actions, and we didn't have to worry about terrorists. :mad:

After 9/11, a bunch of places are enforcing restrictions on commercial vehicles. You can no longer drive a commercial vehicle over the Hoover Dam. There is too much fear of a terrorist packing an 18-wheeler (tractor-trailer) with exposives and blowing up the dam. It's a shame that the world has to be this way, and that the American society can't accept blame for their actions and are so "sue-happy". Anyway......it's not as easy as you though Jon had stated. :D

As for motorcycles, some states require that a person goes through a safety course, like the MSF class, before they give you your license. Other states require that all motorcyclists under the age of 21 wear a helmet.....some states require that everyone wears a helmet. I don't know of any state that has a tiered system for displacement......yet. :umm:
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

I really think is right it's a lot of restrictions as regards as the vehicle you ride.

But for me this isn't a freedom matter.

The freedom is a great thing, and the American people is master of freedom. But, the true freedom is when the one's freedom don't damage the other people's freedom.

So, I think driving a 18 wheeler truck without one's skill being verified, is not a freedom, it's a crime :eek: . You can do heavy damages with a 18 wheeler truck, even if it isn't explosives' filled!!!

In EU, since 1989 there are the rules explained by Nicola, so there are many restrictions to own the bikes's driving license. And many years before there already were strong restrictions to drive heavy vehicles.

Besides, the terrorism is another thing.

I was in the USA at the 9/11. I came there at 9/6 and I well remember I didn't have any inspection in the American airports.
I brought my own camera, a Nikon reflex with a tele into its (big) bag that wasn't checked at all. In this bag I could bring explosives, knives, guns...

Unfortunately, that also wasn't freedom.

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
BMW R Nine t 2019
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

I am in "Your side", Frankie! Too much "freedom" is NOT SO GOOD THING. Better have quite tight rules, i think.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Btw, here it need to be 15 Years(!!!!) and driving licence/tests for driving <50cc scooter/moped and Finland have been in EU quite long time already.....And in Italy 14 Years is enough??? I think, in EU area CAN be "local rules" also.... :confused:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Yes, in Italy you have to be at least 14 years old and get a specific mopeds license.

Really, in EU it's some local rule, no matter there are minor rules.

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
BMW R Nine t 2019