Pollution limitations in Lombardy (IT) may stop all Paso

Chat about anything not Paso related here
lceriani
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Pollution limitations in Lombardy (IT) may stop all Paso

Post by lceriani »

In Lombardy Region (Italy), aiming to reduce the dramatic PM10 air pollution, the local government is discussing a law that could stop from circulating all the bikes that are not compliant to euro-1 pollution ratings. If it will be approved, from 2007 July,1th all bikes like Paso would be useless piece of history, at least in Lombardy.

In November there was a great demonstration by a large group of motocyclists opposing to this law and complaining that:
- according to a recent CSST study, motorbikes cause only 1% of all PM10 air pollution and so the law seems a trick to distract from real pollution sources (thermal plants, industrial activities, commercial transports, etc.)
- comparing to cars, motorbikes cause less traffic and so less overall pollution (less time spent in road queues = less pollution!)
- comparing to other vehicles such as diesel or heavy duty vehicles, motorbikes produce less than 1/100th of their PM10 pollution!
- it seems mainly a manoeuvre to increase new motorbikes selling
- demolishing a large number of old bikes will cause an environmental impact worst than the relative benefit
- all vehicles already pay taxes and are subjected to periodical revisions to ensure they don't exceed national pollution limits

In november it seemed that the government intended to modify the law and stop only the circulation of two-strokes engines, but this intention was not expressed in the definitive law formulation, that was published in these days.

Well... let's hope that our governors will use some common sense instead of freezing in illogical (and expensive!) thoughts.
However, I stopped to work on my Paso (engine transplant) and I am waiting to see what will happen...

For more informations (italian language):
http://www.motocivismo.it

If you want to sign the online petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/Euro10/petition.html
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Have to say, that You Italians have sometimes VERY strange planes and rules :screwy: I read earlier about that rule, that cant wawe hand to another mc driver in traffic, but this is something more strange.... :confused: I think, they cant go for that way without big war with mc owners. Your Italian mc clubs MUST REACT VERY HARDLY now. If no, then there live only "mc sheeps" in Italy! :funny:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

I've just signed!
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

.....At least one "angry Italian"..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Finnpaso wrote:.....At least one "angry Italian"..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Not one.
We all are angry!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
BMW R Nine t 2019
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

I was in front of the regional government building on November 25th and I can assure that there was a lot of angry motorcyclists...
but maybe we're not in election period!
:ugh:
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Would something change?
By now, I believe no more in the politics :ugh: :ugh: :toofar: :toofar: !
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
BMW R Nine t 2019
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Just who comes up with these whacky ideas?? THAT person should be pushed out of office!

I just signed the petition. I hope my NY name helps.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

jcslocum wrote: THAT person should be pushed out of office!
NO! But "hanged from genitals to closest tree"! :funny: Btw, it isnt so bad idea to live in nordic country... :laugh:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
jomo
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by jomo »

You can be sure that someone in government will gain financially. Otherwise, they would use common sense :rant: :rant:

jomo

By the way - Luca, send me an email. I think it is wrong in your profile as well.
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

A politician went in, and maybe the law will be modified from the original concept. I don't know if he is catching votes or if he is just reasonable... but he seems to help us.

An official text is circulating in these days, it's not yet effective but it includes a dispensation for all 4 strokes (4T) motorcycles and for historical vehicles. No hope for 2 strokes (2T).

Meanwhile, on January 28th there will be a general stop for all "pollutant" vechicles in our region.

Let's see what will happen...

LC

@jomo: in my profile you can find only my MSN account, that's not active as email address because of too much spamming. I gave you my email by PM.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

that`s quite interesting. What will the lobby of italian scooter manufacturers do with all the Vespas, Ciaos and other 2T vehicles around ?!
In some german cities like Berlin or Munich they`re also thinking of banning older cars (there was no discussion about bikes yet).
As cars are rated in different emission classes E1, E2 etc and they would get a certain sticker probably on the windscreen it`s possible to control that. For a motorbike that`s not possible so I don`t think that such things will happen here.
Although since beginning of last year you have to pass an emission test with your motorcycle.
But also here there`s a difference because emission tests are only required for bikes from a certain model year on (1990 I think). So with the Paso this is not relevant.
(seems oldtimers will be totally banned from bigger cities)

I love my bike and car. I also agree though that measures have to be taken to control pollution specially in big cities but there`re halfway intelligent ways to handle this. As far as I know London town is also a good example as you have to pay if you want to enter the city with your vehicle. So I assume lots of people change to public transportation.

In Italy it`s always one extreme or the other, always has been.
(on the other side you have the US who introduced catalytic converters decades before that was obligatory for new cars here, but still being one of the largest industrial polluters - strange world)

G.