site suggestions / questions

Chat about anything not Paso related here
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

How about a general bike discussion forum? It could be open to any Ducati model - or any manufacturer, for that matter - but bike related.

I only bring it up because there are bound to be topics of interest all Paso owners regardless of the number on the side of their Paso.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Not a bad idea, fasterdammit. It could be called "General Interest", although maybe "Off Topic" already serves that purpose. Or do you think it is a catagory which deserves a seperate forum? What do you think of my idea for "Bike Writing", by the way?
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

"General interest" might be too vague, too much like off topic like you mention. I've seen "general discussion" some other forums, but maybe "bike talk" would be a little more concise, or "Desmo talk" - depending how focused the forum should be. 'Bike talk' leaves it a little more open-ended; at the moment I only have Ducatis in the garage, and only one's a Paso, but bike talk in general will always catch my attention since it addresses the sport/hobby/lifestyle/etc.

Otherwise yes, I like the 'bike writing' category, too. I have a couple 'ride reports' I'd like to get around to adding. Not so much "we took this turn at 75, hit gravel" etc or anything - more of a short story. But definitely a good idea. I'll post up when I can ...
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

I like "Bike Talk", fasterdammit. Goes with "Bike Writing".

These 'ride reports' you mention - short stories - are they things you have written? Or were they written by other people? What are they about?
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Skins wrote:These 'ride reports' you mention - short stories - are they things you have written? Or were they written by other people? What are they about?
Stuff I've written. Mainly perspective-type stories or essays that revolve around motorcycling, I guess. "Human-interest-on-two-wheels stuff" maybe? I thought I saw 'bike writings' somewhere ... but now I'm drawing a blank finding it. Unless that's the 'submit article' link in the user menu?
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

OK guys I'm game with an "other brands" forum. let's settle on a name, and I'll create it.

fasterdammit, would you be interested in moderating said forum?
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Many thanks, mike!
It's not really other brands we're considering - it's more that we're considering stuff that's not really brand-related, it's more like a special kind of 'Off Topic'. I think my first post on the subject - at the bottom of page 1 - indicates the kind of material we're on about here.

fasterdammit, good to hear it's stuff you've written - you get credit for originality right away! From your description 'human interest on two wheels', I'd say it's definitely "Bike Writing". How about that for a forum name?
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

well, we could call it 'two wheeled ramblings'
or, like the K11OG group calls it, 'the campfire'
let's get creative!
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

hmm ... :confused:

yes, I guess "Bike Writing" does sound a bit dull, especially if we're looking for creativity in the forum content. I'm hoping there might be a few poets out there. Poetry has never done much for me, but I think that's because I've never read any poetry about biking. I wanted to write a poem the other day about how the sound of a Ducati makes me feel -

Whenever I hear a Ducati,
I feel

but I couldn't think of anything that rhymed with Ducati ...

On the other hand, I'm not sure that "Ramblings" does justice to T E Lawrence (which is what I'd like to post). He was one serious dude, and what he wrote about biking was very powerful.
I prefer "The Campfire", which would probably also appeal to T E, as spent many a night in the desert. But then that belongs to the other site - which intrigues me - what kind of material do they put in that forum, mike?
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

mike wrote:OK guys I'm game with an "other brands" forum. let's settle on a name, and I'll create it.

fasterdammit, would you be interested in moderating said forum?
Be honored to!
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Skins wrote: It's not really other brands we're considering - it's more that we're considering stuff that's not really brand-related, it's more like a special kind of 'Off Topic'. I think my first post on the subject - at the bottom of page 1 - indicates the kind of material we're on about here.
I figured a "not-Paso-###-specific-off-topic-but-still-bike-related" forum would be one place for every member to check for bike news, that's all. For example, Bimota's resurrection w/ Ducati's DS1000 lump, etc. And since I don't have a 906 or a 907, I honestly don't check into those forums much.

Actually, I already know what I'd like to post right off - I picked up Ian Falloon's latest book, "Standard Catalog of Ducati" which is a decent history lesson, but he also includes production numbers, by model, size, year and country. So, I already knew my Monster was 1 of 100 in the states from another book, but this one had Paso numbers - my blue '88 750 is one of 55 in the states. So I figured that'd be good information to pass around to the rest of the owners as well.
Skins wrote:good to hear it's stuff you've written - you get credit for originality right away! From your description 'human interest on two wheels', I'd say it's definitely "Bike Writing". How about that for a forum name?
Thank you. :) I just got asked to write some editorials for a new local (central NY) magazine called Just Ride ... so who knows where this could go ... ?

I liked 'Ramblings', but that almost makes it sound more "off-topic" than intended. 'Campfire' is ok - closer to the focus of the forum. What about just 'Writings' (with a sticky that it's supposed to be bike-related) , or 'Riders Writings', 'Ridden Writings' or something a little more ethereal even? 'Ghost Writings'
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Congratulations on you appointments, fasterdammit!

The Falloon material sounds extremely interesting, however it's not quite the kind of material I had in mind when I got the idea for this forum. (Sorry to be so awkward)

The words 'original', 'personal', and 'creative' describe the material I have in mind. Stuff like poems and stories, personal stuff (but it doesn't have to be your own - you just have to believe it expresses something about biking)

Following mikes request for more creativity in the forum name, I came up with:

AIMING FOR THE APEX
words - your own or another's - you feel express the essence of motorcycling
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Skins wrote:The Falloon material sounds extremely interesting, however it's not quite the kind of material I had in mind when I got the idea for this forum. (Sorry to be so awkward)
oop my bad - I should've broken that post into two, I guess! The Falloon material is meant for the 'general bike discussion' forum, not the writings forum.

I think 'Aiming for the Apex' is perfect for the written material forum, though! I love it. It's not obvious, and it's not as "story time" as 'the Campfire' might be ... it definitely describes the ethereal feeling that hopefully the writings contained within will. Ya got my vote!
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

many thanks, fasterdammit!
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

OK I'm thinking we have two new subforums growing from this:

a "bike news - not Paso" forum and a "creative writing" forum.

"bike news - not Paso" is pretty self-explanatory and should suffice. skins, you could moderate the news forum.

fasterdammit, I'd like you to choose the creative writing sub-forum name. think about it... keep it creative and sounding :cool:

it's always nice to have someone interesting in writing editorial material. keeps things fresh and creative. who knows, i might have to dust off my "pen" and do some myself. :thumbup: