Another Skins First!

Chat about anything not Paso related here
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Another Skins First!

Post by redpaso »

Hey Skins I was just perusing the User Stats & do you realise that you have just clocked up 1000 visits to this great site. :thumbup: That is almost double the next highest. Now if Mike did not send you a mug for 250 posts you certianly deserve one for 1000 visits. You are the Paso Grand Pooh-Bah :thumbup:

It is intersting to note how many people are visiting daily yet not contributing at all. makes you wonder what they are looking for & why they don't just ask. :screwy:

I suppose some people just like to watch :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:umm:

Holy cow! Cripes!

It's just a combination of circumstances, really: starting problems, found the site and Gerhard and Jon Slocum's wiring upgrade, spending more time looking after my old dad than working now, and the site is a good thing to do while I do that. More than good.

Learned a lot about Pasos, but I knew a lot already - what was really good was learning about the people who ride them.

Concerning contribution by members: don't forget a significant proportion of the membership, maybe more than half, are probably not English-speakers. I reckon everybody more or less gives and gets what they can, what they want, or what they need. I just say, thanks, everybody.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Yeah - 'Congrats Skins' - also, what you said about a lot of members not speaking English, is probably a valid point that a lot of us others forget...........or are'nt aware of.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

i wonder if the non-english speaking folks are taking advantage of the languages features of the site?
DucSoup

Post by DucSoup »

There are also sites like bablefish and systransoft.com. However - be warned that they are not always accurate. ;) (Yes, that is from personal experience...)
jomo

Post by jomo »

Very good points. We should try to avoid or own dialects, especially bloody New Zealanders!!!!!! :funny: :lick: :neener: :thumbup:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

knoath, cuz. no strine, an she'll be right!
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

:umm: :confused:

Passop, struth, turned me right uphill wots 'at?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

FWIW I've added *another* eschelon for folks to aspire to beyond "junkie".

I think it'll provide a few laughs, for it wasn't *my* idea :laugh: :evil: :cool:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

FWIW, I just figured what FWIW means.

This is all still somewhat new to me, so I was wondering if someone could tell me:
1. Is there a Glossary of abreviations like FWIW somewhere on the Web, (or would that spoil the fun) and
2. What is the difference between the Web and the Internet?
DucSoup

Post by DucSoup »

There are lots of 'em Skins. Just a couple examples are:
http://topcc.org/articles/jokes/emoticons.html and http://www.taglinesgalore.com/faces.html

The web or world-wide-web is a part of the internet. Way back in the day there used to be arpanet (or darpanet) - it hooked some military bases, some research centers, and some colleges together. Basically it was a network packet switching technology that allowed for rapid communication even if a node went offline for some reason. Over time it evolved into an internet protocol (IP) and the internet. The early internet consisted of file sharing and transfer tools. Some of the early tools included Kermit, Archie, and Veronica. I seem to remember a Betty too. Sorry - can't remember any Sheilas ;-) The www grew out of an invention called Hyper-Text Markup Language or HTML. HTML is itself an offshoot of Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML).

This is an all to brief and incomplete history. People write graduate level thesis work around the history of the internet and www. If you are interested I can point you to some references that you can dive into for further edification. Or, do a search on arpanet or darpanet. There are still Spiders and bots out scouring document sources and they bring you tools like the search sites we all now use.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Thanks, DuC.

Drawing on what I've already learned, most of that made sense to me. I'll try and learn more as I go along.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

So this sounds like an appropriate time to ask what are the "Spiderbots" that appear in the "Who's Online" box on the left of here, just below registered & guest users online? They have always scared me, should I be afraid or are they my friend? :confused:
Redpaso
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

I think they're little automatic programs, that wonder around inside other programs, collecting information, cuz. I think we can assume that the one in our site is friendly.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Thanks I am now at ease :thumbup:
Redpaso