So what do you do?

Chat about anything not Paso related here
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Thanks for your concern, chaps, but I really don't want to waste anyone's time with my 'time wasting' phobia ... however, I have noticed that there a few public 'shrink' type sites on the net who may be interested.

Hey, Luca! many, many thanks for your assistance with Bialetti. Let's hope they're feeling helpful. If not, I'll try to find the information here. I have a trio of Moka Expresses (three different sizes) so a sample is on hand. I won't be able to start on the project for some time, because I am so busy with my own work at the moment.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Come on, people! What do you do? I mean, WHAT DO YOU ALL DO? What kind of people own Ducati Pasos? In case anyone hasn't seen it, there's a tally on the previous page. I'm guessing that although there are, I believe, more teachers (the school type) in the world than any other profession, we won't find many here. Teachers are just, you know, too ... mainstream, too ... sensible. There may be a few married to Paso owners, but I think most would be too sensible even for that. There may be a few doctors, and actually I would be interested in hearing from a shrink about this time-wasting phobia I suffer from. I think it may be something new, like a 20 or 21st century thing, and I might be able to make it into the medical history books.

Any astronauts? Any famous people we don't know about? Hey Sly, if you're taking time off and reading this, I thought 'The Contender' was an excellent piece of work. My dad was a top amateur, and I did a little too, and I bet nobody who was watching had ever seen so many good contests, as well as the sheer honest passion of those guys. And Sugar Ray was great. And it was interesting to see the various star guests getting unselfconsciously caught up in the excitement. Fantastic. Thanks, Sly.

Any chefs? I would say we'd have a few. Am I the only jewellery-making artist here?

Hey Luca! have you heard from Bialetti yet?
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

Sorry, no answers from Bialetti... but consider that August is the month in wich all Italy stop working! We have to wait until september, than I'll try to phone directly and if not succesfull.... it will be up to you.

Bye!

LC
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Ok. Thanks, Luca. Yeah, I was thinking about the holidays over there. Don't worry - no hurry. I've got plenty to do.

Seeya.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

o.k., then I`ll add to this topic also.
I`m in product marketing and responsible as project lead for fixed line cordless phones latin america for what is to be germans biggest technology company. (you probalby all now/knew our mobile phones ;)
Although this is a partly technical job I`m NOT an engineer, but I studied busyness studies/marketing.
I spend my free time mostly working on the Paso and my Gilera 600 Nordwest. As a perfectionist these bikes are never finished. I have to admit that I work far more time on the bikes as I drive them. In fact I have to admit that I probably like that more. The Gilera is very close to my imagination (all carbon & extremely clean) but the Paso has become a neverending project. Meanwhile it`s apart for 2 years and I will probably only get it back on the road next year.
For what I`ve spend on those bikes I could drive a new Duc w/o problems :screwy: but who wants that ?!
I own my Paso for 8 years or more and although I rarely drive her I would never sell that bike.
I remember many years ago when I didn`t yet have a drivers license (for bikes over 27hp) to look after 851s and then 888s when they passed by with their deep growling sound. I always wanted to own such a bike. The Paso was alternative 2 at that time. One day (I was working as a student for this company) I stumbled over pasoworld (or what was the name of this site at it`s early beginnings ?!) and contacted Bauke a guy from the Netherlands. At the same time I stumbled over an add of a Paso being sold around here. A California bike. I went to check the bike. It might not have been the cheapest one, but as the owner fired it up in his large garage (with it`s Gio.Ca.Moto 2in1 exhaust) I fell for her. I had to have her.
Coming back to Pasoworld and the mailing list. Lots of guys have come and gone. Only a few are left from when I joined. However I`m still in contact with Bauke over all those years (we never met though) and I´m thankful for Mike`s work which created this friendship.
Bauke btw. made his dream come true some time ago, sold the Paso and bought a 888. I would consider this only as an addition to my garage not as a replacement :thumbup:

So, that`s basically my story.

Gerhard

PS: I`m 35 (still for some days)
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

Gerhard, do you really have a Nordwest? Wow... it was my dream before driving a duc for the first time! I learned to drive on a Gilera R1 (similar to the RC series) but it was a second choice because the Nordwest for me was the perfect bike: heart of an enduro, but with a strong street vocation... good for riding everywhere, decent speed, good handling, even suitable for tourism! In 1991 it anticipated supermotards but was not understood by the italian market... it reminds me something similar to the Paso history! :thumbup:

LC
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I`ll try to upload some actual pictures and post the link
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

here`re some pictures

http://www.arcor.de/palb/thumbs_public. ... ID=3171174

The only problem with a NW is that some parts (waterpump, starter sprag) are even more rare that some Paso parts. Maybe it`s comparable to the chance to find a water coolant reservoire for a 906. Gilera built "big" motorcycles only for a couple of years and then went back to their roots with 125s and scooters. Gilera sold off all their parts and don`t offer any service at all. Basically there`re 3 dealers I know who have parts (one in UK, 2 in Germany). One of them is often in Italy and visits lots of motorcycle and classic bike markets to find parts. Lots of bikes get parted out.

The Paso is easy to find parts for :D
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

What a nice bike...!

You know that in 1994 Gilera closed his factory in Arcore and begun a constant decline that lead -as you said- to a production limited to 50/125cc scooters and motorbikes.
However in my area there are many Gilera services, so if you need a particular replacement I can make some calls :thumbup:

Bye!

LC
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Wow, Gerhard - that Nordwest is really slick. Talk about clean. And it looks like a total blast on the street. Very, very nice.

And of course, the Paso, too! :D
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Thanks. The last owner (the brother was a Duc mechanic) and I spent some efforts to make it what it is today. The bike was totally rebuild, frame and wheels painted/powder coated. Engine case, triple clamps, swingarm etc where polished. Even the brake calipers. The engine was rebuild and the heads modified. All screws possible where changed to stainless steel ones and then came the carbon fairing, carbon timing belt cover and carbon mirrors, barend mirros and mini blinkerson the rear etc. etc. etc.. In fact the bike already had a carbon fairing from the last owner but quality wasn`t that good. One day I stumbled over a complete fairing from a project bike which was presented at the Milan motorshow and had the chance to get it for a good price. Quality is fantastic. Did I already mention I was perfectionist in this :D :screwy:
Only change still planned is a polished or carbon exhaust I still have to have adapted.
The bike came already from production with 17" rims and 120/160 street tires, braided brake lines and 2 4-piston brake calipers on the front as also with dual brake discs (Paso size). The engine is a 558cc single cylinder, but with 4 valves, dual carb and a 2in1 header (changed to stainless steel version).
The Gilera is easy to ride and fun on curvy roads, with it`s low weight and 46hp it outruns many street bikes when driving twisty mountain roads. On low revvs not much happens, but when you go over 4000rpm you automatically start to grin :D As it`s an italian bike the sound is adequate and not like the usual 1cyl jap eduro.

Only the seat is narrow and the a**/back hurts after some time, the tank is very small (refill after 150-200km) and I also can`t get used to the 1cyl vibrations. So I`m considering to sell it. Only problem that just like the Paso this bike is undervalued and as I probably would only get half of what I`ve meanwhile spent I guess we`re stuck together just like with the Paso.
Unless that the Paso is my No.1, always was and I never would think of selling it.

@ LC, I might come back to your offer one day
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

My Duc mechanic btw. has a Gilera 600 RC-R. The street legal offroad version of the Nordwest. That bike was converted to a Supermoto with differnt fork, wire wheels etc. That bike is not slick but sick :eek: That thing is so high I wonder how he makes it to get on it or stop at a traffic light w/o falling over. I`ll make some pictures if I get a chance. Already from stock this bike is pretty (and) high.

http://web.tiscali.it/nordy600/imggrandi/rc600r2.jpg
Rodney
year: 1986

Post by Rodney »

I will double the amount of electricians that have replied to this post. Work on just about everything from a toaster to automated lighting. Also have a TAFE certificate for auto electrical was something i was interested in so spent 2.5 years at tafe 2 nights a week doing.

Rodney
Ducati ST2 2002 , Ducati 696 2010 , Ducati Pantah 1983 (in progress )
jpring

Post by jpring »

Foster care provider for children.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

well, since my last posting in this thread, i am changing jobs at the company i work for.

i will now be supporting a piece of software (to internal customers) used for gathering technical and nontechnical requirements for major projects. lots of technical writing, some support, and a minimal amount of coding. it looks like i'll be doing a lot of training (teaching) so perhaps that might shift the tally.

whew.