Chat about anything not Paso related here
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

You sure keep yourself busy, steve!

Poor old Possum. He was one of our favourite people. Now his wife inspires us.
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

redpaso wrote:We are certianly a diverse & very interesting bunch, there seems to be a commom thread of being good with our hands
Back in the summer of 1991 there weren't a whole lot of Ducatis running around southern Indiana, where I was living at the time. One fine day I was stopped at a little roadside area and a guy on a Moto Guzzi went by. Then he turned around and came in to check the bike out.

The first thing he said to me was "Are you a machinist, or an engineer?" like those were the only two occupations I might hold.

I admitted I was an engineer and asked how he knew.

He said "Those are the only two types of people who buy those things" . I'm not sure if that was true back then but it's certainly not true now.

Anyway, These days I'm a development engineering supervisor for a company that builds OEM automotive exhaust systems.

But I'm thinking about becoming a machinist...
-Craig
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Hey Craig, have you heard of Zorts cans? They're wonderful! A bit heavy (316 stainless) but beautifully-made, and they work a treat. You alter the volume and back-pressure with a small discrete (almost invisible) screw on top, which never goes out of adjustment.

Designed by the makers here in Kiwiland. Check they out at http://www.yellow.co.nz/site/motorcycle ... orsts.html

I've also seen some beautiful home-made cans on a Monster in town. I hope to get a pic of them and post it soon.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Hey Skins, When I was working on the New Zealand Rally, we were shown a mega V twin bike built in NZ for the Isle of Man TT, was it a Britain??? Hand built I seem to remember, fantasic looking, and then I think the guy died, I bet you know the answers!!!!

Busy, try to keep busy, but none are as well paid as they used to be! Still the last book brought the PASO so who cares!!!! My 906 now lives in France, where the roads are long sweeping, and empty!!!
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Well, steve, the Britten motorcycle got a lot of press here in NZ while John Britten was alive. It was quite a beautiful machine built by him and his mates in his garage, making their own engine castings and so on, with lots of hand-made parts - a 1000cc V-twin, 75 deg V I think, with a wonderfull white and amazingly convoluted exhaust system. It made quite a lot of power, I'm not sure how much, and had a strange steering and front suspension system - leading-link, I think it's called - which he also designed himself.

They took it to the States and won some races, maybe ran at the IOM TT also, maybe just a demo lap, and set some world records, but all in very restricted classes, I believe, not really against open competition. They got orders for a few bikes from a few wealthy enthusiasts, I think - it really was a good-looker, if a bit rough around the edges. It now has pride of place in our National Museum. The project seemed to be going OK, but then John died, a victim of one of these sad incurable deseases that strike out of nowhere.

It seems the project needed John, because although I think they have kept operating, nothing seems to have happened lately, except a couple of books - an authorised biography by his family, and a warts-and-all unauthorised one by an associate, with recriminations between the parties.
Last edited by Skins on Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog »

Skins wrote:The project seemed to be going OK, but then John died, a victim of one of these sad incurable deseases that strike out of nowhere.
I never was an expert on Britten, but I seem to recall he died from cancer. I also seem to recall that while working with all those composites and things he was somewhat lax about safety equipment, like respirators and the like? I have no idea if the two are related or not.

Here's a website that gives more info on him;

http://www.nzedge.com/heroes/britten.html
-Craig
DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog »

Skins wrote:Hey Craig, have you heard of Zorts cans?
I hadn't heard of them, but I am rather fond of stainless exhaust systems. The adjustable backpressure thing isn't my cup of tea though. I question how many people change the adjustment very often, and the concept of using backpressure to quiet things down is a bit, um, "inelegant" in my line of work... on the other hand, it's tough for the average Joe to design or customize a regular system to match the sound they want, so I can see the appeal to some people.

I should admit I'm a bit biased though. We've tried similar systems in cars and from an OEM standpoint they are a major PITA to make work! :mad:
-Craig
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

That's the thing, thanks chaps, now I have seen the picture of the Britain, I remember it was a composite monocoque of types, stunning in the flesh, but they were't going to start it in the Skytower, so I never heard it. Funny when i'm in the garage working on the bike i still use my New Zealand rall water bottle, and my favourite pen was given to me in rally control, made from 3000 year old wood.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Before we get technical, craig, get yourself unbiased! I tell ya, these Zorst cans are GOOD! Actually, the bloke made the exhaust system for the Britten, and he's licensed to make Harris systems also.

Have a look at his site, and maybe even drop him a line - it might be interesting for you to get 'technical' with him, and it would be a bona fide business research expense.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

I have a video (remember them) with Shaun Harris on the Britten completing a lap of the Isle of Man with a camera mounted on the front wheel :eek: It is truely awesome stuff & the bike sounds fantastic. It is on "On Bike TT 3" & is available from Duke video.

http://www.dukevideo.com

It also has an incredible lap of the Isle circuit on a 600 honda sidecar. :screwy:
& a 916 (until it breaksdown :oops: )
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

Uh-uh... I left this topic sleeping for months, but now I have a little more spare time to add my contribute.

I am a 30yrs old IT Engineer and I work as a freelance consultant for medium-small business activities, in particular for the regional public administration. I also work part-time for a NGO (non-governmental organization) in technical developing of projects in South America (Colombia, Perù) and China (Beijing).
I also play softball in local tournaments, used to play guitar and I have a very little home-made production of aromatic vinegar.

As everyone I am usually fulfilled by work and the time to dedicate to my Paso is always less than what should be necessary...!!
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

OK. So far we've got:

Computers/IT - four
Personel/Training - two
Engineering - five
Arts - one
Entertainment - one
Graphic Arts - one
Admin, Accounting, etc - one
Electrical - one
TV/Media - one
Last edited by Skins on Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
steele

Post by steele »

I saw the Brittens race at the Northwest 200 in northern ireland in i think? :roll: 1994 they were awesome perhaps the mightyest twin ever shame john died the britten books are well worth a read :thumbup:
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

and a o.c.d. machine repair hillbilly who's ruled by canines and a mean wifey.
krakan

What we do.

Post by krakan »

Well here goes, I`m working as a mechanic and service man
on concrete cutting equipment. But I have been working as
a builder/carpenter/brick-layer on varius companies through
the years, but I wrecked a knee when training Ju-jutsu so I
had to get a little easier job, therefore studies in hydraulics
electrics, and then mechanic. I have two kids a wife and a house which I`m
renovating as I can afford and a dog, a large poodle called
Agnes. Krakan 907ie Red :thumbup: :thumbup: