FORMULA ONE

Chat about anything not Paso related here
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Ok - you're sorta right with what you're saying there, but F 1 is also rapidly becoming boring through being predictable in the outcome. From my understanding of things, the manufacturers are'nt entirely happy with the way things are either, thus creating speculation of a spluinter offshoot race division.
In addition to the above points, Formula 1 is also probably the most expensive racing class in the world, & the cars & technology contained within the series, have very little resemblance to what 'Joe Public' is driving.
At least with the Aussie V8 series, theres a 'little bit of Marcus Ambrose' aspiration for all XR 8 owners, coupled with relevant technology found under the bonnet of the new vehicles found sitting on the showroom floor.
And at the end of the day - nothing sounds as goooooood as a V8!!!! :thumbup:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

I agree with you Duck that F! is the most Expensive & Boring racing there is. No denying the technology but does the rediclious budgets justify it. The racing is not close & since the departure of AYRTON SENNA there has been no truely great drivers. They now have so many driving aids the driver is becoming superfulous(?). :thumbdown:

I agree that the Aussie V8's are the most exciting 4 wheel racing around (despite the lack of variety in the class but we Aussies wouldn't have it any other way. Mainly because the Jap cars beat us if we let them in). However upart from teh exterior similiarity to the road going cars there is not much under the skin that replicates or even represents what we buy in the show room. Both cars use U.S. sourced engines, you can buy the cars with the six speed gearbox but it is far from the one inthe racers. In reality Holden & ford are conning us all to believe they are racing what we are buying. They are exciting though. (for cars that is) :rant:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Red Paso - Maaaaaate - my point exactly!!! Chuck any of the current top 10 Formula 1 drivers in a Aussie V8, or Yank Nascar - throw them out mid-pack of a starting grid, & they'd be screaming for 'the Nurse' & a hot cup of Tea within 3 laps................cos they are'nt 'DRIVERS' in their usual class - just a 'STEERER'...........
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Do you seriously thik they would last for 3 laps!. I wouldn't give them 3 corners. They put an Indy driver into a V8 @ Surfers Paradise for 3 laps a few years ago & he reckoned it was the hardest thing he had ever done :eek: & could not believe we raced these things so well. He could not even remember how to change gears. I can't remember who it was though.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

Well, I reckon you're wasting your time comparing Aussie V8 racing with Formula 1. They are completely different things.

Another difference in addition to those I've just mentioned is that in Formula 1 there is an international aspect - the pride of nations is at stake; different engineering traditions are competing; national characters are pitted against each other.

Comparing Aussie V8 racing to Formula 1 is a bit like comparing US gridiron football to that other kind of football they play in almost every country of the world using a round ball, which some people call soccer. No doubt some people find soccer boring too.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Skins - can I take it that you are really turned on by the prospect of V8 races in Wellington soon then............. :D :D :roll:
You've maybe booked seats already............ :thumbup:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

I do hope it happens. I've enjoyed those waterfront races in the past.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Main thing is that its no longer going to Auckland....... :roll: :thumbup:
Got to admit, that street circuits are great - same with bike racing.. :thumbup: