FORMULA ONE

Chat about anything not Paso related here
mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

FORMULA ONE

Post by mike »

OK, since we have folks that frequent this site who are NOT from the USA, there have GOT to be some F1 fans here. In the USA F1 is not very well known, and there's not a lot of people that I can talk about it with.

Personally, I'm a diehard Tifosi. Always have been... thru the glory days of Lauda, Reutemann, the dark ages after Gilles' death, and now into the what's becoming rather ho-hum dominance of Schu.

I had the pleasure of watching Gilles race at his last USGP at Long Beach... where he landed on the podium and lost his points due to an illegal rear wing.

Thoughts, opinions? Who's watching the Hungarian GP this weekend? Let's talk F1! :thumbup:
tibi750

Post by tibi750 »

Hi,
We were the race today in Budapest. This day was very fine. I'm very big Ferrari fan. The Ferrari, World Champion!!!
1, Schumi 2, Barichello 3, Alonso.
(sorry for my English language. I'm beginner.) :D
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

Your english is 100% better than my Hungarian! :thumbup:
I'm a Tifosi too. Forza!!!!!!
steele

Post by steele »

Well i have a formula one connection my company actually supply the start lights that are used a every race they bought 3 sets from us a few years ago and transfer them around the world they are all LEDs now, also the pit exit lights :D :thumbup:
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

As do I we're a sponsor for Toyota (and we're not a japanese company) so I bet you can figure it out.

:thumbup:
Paul
year: 1987

F1 X2

Post by Paul »

Here in South Africa we lost our GP many years ago. There isn't one on the African content (although we do get the MotoGP).

On the 9th August we had the first of a new series of races called F1X2. This features the two seater Minardi cars racing with passengers. Minardi arrived here a week before and ran several promotional events. Many companies sponsored the race and put up the second seat in the race via competitions. There were eight cars here and two races so 16 people got to be in the back seat for a race.

You could purchase a seat in the promotional events (around the local streets) or three laps of Kyalami on the two days before the race. The cast was R50,000 (around US $ 7500).

All the money went to the Nelson Mandela Childrens Fund.

It is hoped to start a series of these races around the world.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

I remember watching F1 races in South Africa. Losing that circuit was like losing SPA... always a great race. We finally have our USGP back (not where I hoped it would go but *shrug*) and I hope to make the trip in 2005. My plan is to drive to Montreal then to Indy then home (I live in California!). I cannot wait!
Paul
year: 1987

Ecclestone makes South Africa Pledge

Post by Paul »

This is an extract from the ITV web site. Just a pity that Cape Town is 1400km (900 Miles) away.

Bernie Ecclestone has said that F1 will return to South Africa “within five years”.

Ecclestone has entered into talks with a consortium planning to build an F1 circuit in Cape Town.

The F1 supremo told Cape Town’s Die Burger newspaper: "We are going to South Africa - it's not a question of if, it's only when.

"There will be a South African Grand Prix hosted by Cape Town within five years."

If the race were to get the go-ahead, it would almost certainly knock another European race off the calendar.

South Africa last hosted an F1 grand prix in 1993 at Kyalami near Johannesburg.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

well well well looks like ferrari is getting a good spanking this season. what do y'all think about whats going on? has flavio returned renault (benetton) from the dead to rule F1 once again?
qldman36
year: 0

Post by qldman36 »

Watching prerace right now,final ridiculous qualifying just over[give us back the 1 hour free for all 12 lap limit!].Shumie looking good if new car holds together.
qldman36
year: 0

Post by qldman36 »

So much for the Shumie Show.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Formula 1 - boring!!! Here in 'upside-down land', there is a totally cooooooool series - Aussie V8 Supercars - REAL racing!!! Then for the icing on the cake - V8 ute racing as well - totally awsome!!! More fun than buzz-box Formula 1 cars, anyday...................!!
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Think again about Formula1, Duck01. Can't you see those cars are just so fast and so sticky and so close to the edge? Engineering magic!
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Aww - come on Skins - even you'd have to admit that there is a bit more skill involved in hanging onto a V8 at 290kph down Conrod Straight, than what there is piloting one of those other things round a track............
Regardless of how much engineering there is in a Formula 1 car, they'll never sound as good as a Falcon XR 8 going by.......(or going 'bye'........) :lick: :lick: :thumbup:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Well, I'm sure Mount Panorama is a very demanding circuit - it sure looks like it.

What I like about Formula 1, though, is that every aspect of design, manufacture, and realisation is directed at the limit of performance. They are not modified street cars. In every way, they are made simply to get around a fast circuit as fast as possible. They represent the current extreme of traditional automobile racing. Everyone involved in the team - from the owner through to the driver - is putting every resource possible into the effort. They are all at the limit.

I think the public instinctively understands all that, and that is why F1 popularity is growing.