What was your first bike?

Chat about anything not Paso related here
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Re: My first bike

Post by redpaso »

Paul wrote:... The wife made me sell the RD400 ("you are only allowed one motorbike !").

Paul
So that explains the extrordinary collection you have at work. :thumbup:

When will women understand that if a man can't satisfy his needs at home he has to do it elsewhere :laugh:

I am sure you can get her on a technicality there if you really try. foe example: If you buy a bike that is already in parts it does not count as a motorbike as it is just a box full of parts. When you put it together it is still not a motorbike it is now an assembled box of parts!

How can they argue with that, you did not buy another motorcycle & could at any time potentially pull it apart & return it to the box. It is just a project, a bit like painting the house or building that new fence she wants you to do. :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Paul
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

...& could at any time potentially pull it apart & return it to the box. It is just a project, a bit like painting the house or building that new fence she wants you to do.
Good thinking Red. I like the bit about returning it to the box. She likes jigsaws... and I never complain when she buys a new one because she always returns it to the box when she has finished...

The question is, am I brave enough to try it ?

Paul
Rodney
year: 1986

Post by Rodney »

The only way to find out is to go ahead and do it. My wife complains every time i go to a swap meet as she wonders what i will return with. Every time she goes and visits her mother i buy something big so far the biggest thing was a 4WD and the smallest a home cinema system. She didn't know i bought the Paso until about a week later when i brought it home, have no room in the garage anymore as have a BSA Bantam plus parts for another, 2 by Suzuki A100 (was for the wife to learn on, then she couldn't complain i was too far infront ) , a gocart leaning up against the wall , and finally the Paso.

Rodney
Ducati ST2 2002 , Ducati 696 2010 , Ducati Pantah 1983 (in progress )
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

I've always liked the saying "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission" ... :evil:
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Paul
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

You guys are very brave when you know that your wives won't read this...

Paul
Rodney
year: 1986

Post by Rodney »

The wife can't complain too much she comes home with new clothes or shoes every week . At least i only come home with something once every 6 months . I need too get rid of the two suzuki's as i was thinking of buying a 500 pantah for a track bike.

Rodney
Ducati ST2 2002 , Ducati 696 2010 , Ducati Pantah 1983 (in progress )
RideFlyDiveSail

Post by RideFlyDiveSail »

:thumbup: Good stories guys - fond memories eh?

My first: 1883 Suzuki GS 250 (power limit here in Oz) - big, slow and underpowered but held her line and was pretty forgiving. I wore out the pegs, scrapped the exhausts so much it got a hole in it and once even scraped the decorative cover off the crankcase. Man I was mad back then. :roll:

Second: I answered an add for an ex drag bike - a 1969 CB750 Four. Running rough the ad said, $500. Worth a look I thought. Broken camshaft it had!! The guy was riding it around believe it or not! Anyway I gave him 500, spent 400 on a top end rebuild and put her back together from the ground up. Close ratio box, twin front disks and a rear disc of a Bol d'Or 900... What a machine. That thing was great fun in straight lines. :D

Third: After a couple of years I decided some corners might be fun to ride around again. :cool: and went in search of something a bit more civil around town as well. I wound up with a GPX750R. For 5 years we had a great time together until the inevitable meeting with an old bloke in a Nissan that just didn't see me coming on the dark and rainy night as he pulled across 3 lanes to turn :sad: .

Now: I'm still working on the missus but I have my eye on a loverly ride from Italy (and no, I don't mean the sales girl from across the road!) ....to be continued :evil:

Cheers

:thumbup: