correcting camber on a car w/ correction plates - anyone ?

Chat about anything not Paso related here
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

correcting camber on a car w/ correction plates - anyone ?

Post by paso750 »

Hi,

I have an Audi that suffers a bit from negative camber on the rear axle hence the inner side of the tire wears quite a bit more than the outer.
The car is front wheel drive no quattro so it has a rigid axle on the rear. (no independent suspension or McPherson axle).
As the axle is rigid lifting or lowering the car would have no influence in camber.
The car was never crashed and is always moved empty (not overloaded) and I have no plan to get a new rear axle or constantly new tires so I checked the internet and found adjustible plates that are mounted between wheel spindle and axle.

http://www.ingallseng.com/30300-themax- ... uster.html

Chances that someone knows this here is probably low but maybe someone can help me understand the princliple.

I assume one adjuster is made of 2 slanted discs that are turned against each other to achieve a different camber and toe. I guess that`s what the table is for in the downloadable instructions.

If that is so both camber and toe adjustment would be directly connected which wouldn`t make much sense to me.
The table shows different camber angles can be set keeping toe at 0°. How would that be possilbe ?!

Maybe someone can help me understand this. I cannot find anything like this here in Germany so these seems to be my cheapest option.

G.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: correcting camber on a car w/ correction plates - anyone

Post by higgy »

G, In this situation, toe is adjusted after camber is set. Toe is set by placing shims at the axle stubs behind the brake plates. They are not readily available outside the professional market. If you can't find them let me know,I can get a set for you,a full set if needed which would be about 4 shims per side. You can do it with two but if you have no experience it can get very complicated fast. The few shim option will change both camber and toe depending on how you position the shim,there are 4 options per shim so it takes a little thought and planning. Not complicated but not obvious either. It is well beyond the average Joe. JFYI
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie