Mc tools sunday ride

Chat about anything not Paso related here
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Mc tools sunday ride

Post by Mc tool »

As many of you may have gathered from recent ( and not so recent ) comments and pix I had a goodie on 14/6/09, came over the brow of a hill to find one of our senior citezins doing a three point turn and completely blocking the road. I hit the car just behind the front wheel , flew thru the air , hit a pole , flew a bit further and landed flat on my back.As I lay there , doin' the self check ( you know how that goes ..... start by wiggling your fingers , then hands , toes , shake head , all the time waiting for the pain to start , 'cept it didnt ) . I really thought that I was just badly winded and was going to walk away from this , Took me helmit and gloves off, then people started turning up and telling me what to do ( i was getting a bit pissed off with them ) any how chopper ride to hospital, and woke up 5 days later, with ( laymans terms ) mashed r kidney ,pancreas ( diabetic now ) liver , spleen , ruptured bowel and diaphram ,9 broken ribs , puntured r lung ,4 broken vertebrae , smashed pelvis , shattered r femur , tib & fib and crushed r foor ( you can see the shape of it in the clutch cover ) and a torn apart l knee . 14 opps later the only things really bothering me now are the diabetes , right leg ( assy ) and I have to watch food , drink and medication as my liver aint so hot.
Geocast ( not picking on you Chris :) ) made a comment about keeping sence of humor thru all this ( this is where it gets important )2 of the best decisions I have ever made in my life were ( not in order coz they were sort of simultainous ) were to listen to all the Dr's telling me what all happened , what they had already fixed and what was left to fix and how they were gunna do it , AND ACCEPTING WHAT ALL HAD HAPPENED TO ME , there aint no point in putting your head in the sand, I tend to think that it all happened to my body rather than to me the person . I should of died so anything else is a bonus. The second decision was to forget about the c--t in the car, by then I knew he was a cowardly piece of shit ( already killed someone else on the road ) , tried to blame me for everything . I didnt go to any of the court cases because I didnt want to know what he looked like , I would rather pass him in the street and not know .
I live on a farm so there are quads to ride , critters to shoot ( ha ha yeah as long as somethings having a worse day than me :lol: :lol: ) and an ever increasing number of motorbike to play with ( 906 , 850t Guzzi , mvx250 ( thanks Fraser ) and suzuki quad and soon hopefully a 79 RD400 )
Life is good , Accept the things you cant change and look forward :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
giocast
model: 900 SS

Re: Mc tools sunday ride

Post by giocast »

thinking of you, and hoping that your leg will come good.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

:thumbup: The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts. Looks like those Dr's knew their stuff and good to see you are still having a blast with Life. Stay safe , Stay happy...............I bet you rattle when you dance? :lol:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Dance ! you funny . I didnt even set off the metal detector at the airport ..... bit pissed off about that :D , I actually think it was broken as I later discovered I still had the rental car keys in my pocket.... Oh yeah , fridge magnets dont stick to me either, that was going to be my party trick .... huh :)
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Oi! Hamish, what's with the RD400? WHere did that one (potentially) spring from?

Cheers,

Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Trade me , And Im leading the bid , for how long Im not sure tho . It is actually an 80 g model , looks ok too
giocast

Post by giocast »

I guess they used titanium H? - I can have an M.R.I. without any problems despite my various added bits.
oceanhunter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by oceanhunter »

gees,sounds like you been through the wringer,glad to see you still rolling
on two hoops :thumbup:
"keeping the shiney side up"
giocast

Post by giocast »

yes he has, O.C. - Hamish included some M.R.I. scans in a previous post on here - not for the squeamish.
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

Mc tool wrote:As many of you may have gathered from recent ( and not so recent ) comments and pix I had a goodie on 14/6/09, came over the brow of a hill to find one of our senior citezins doing a three point turn and completely blocking the road. I hit the car just behind the front wheel , flew thru the air , hit a pole , flew a bit further and landed flat on my back.
I wish you continued physical and mental recovery from this "accident".

My wife had a similar thing happen to her last month (3/24/12). A 65-yr old woman coming from the opposite direction turned in front of my wife. She hit the car just ahead of the front wheel and flew over the hood. Fortunately (in comparison to your injuries), she "only" broke her left shoulder in three places, broke her right fibula, and tore all the ligaments in her right knee. This just compounds to all the injuries from her 2003 "accident" of a woman completely on the wrong side of the road in a blind curve hitting her head on. That accident did much more damage and she wound up with a paralyzed left leg - complete with a total hip replacement.

Wishing you have more continued recovery.
Last edited by Desmo_Demon on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Desmo_Demon wrote:
Mc tool wrote:As many of you may have gathered from recent ( and not so recent ) comments and pix I had a goodie on 14/6/09, came over the brow of a hill to find one of our senior citezins doing a three point turn and completely blocking the road. I hit the car just behind the front wheel , flew thru the air , hit a pole , flew a bit further and landed flat on my back.
I wish you continued physical and mental recovery from this "accident".

My wife had a similar thing happen to her last month (3/24/12). A 65-yr old woman coming from the opposite direction turned in front of my wife. She hit the car just ahead of the front wheel and flew over the hood. Fortunately (in comparison to your injuries), she "only" broke her left shoulder in three places, broke her right tibia, and tore all the ligaments in her right knee. This just compounds to all the injuries from her 2003 "accident" of a woman completely on the wrong side of the road in a blind curve hitting her head on. That accident did much more damage and she wound up with a paralyzed left leg - complete with a total hip replacement.

Wishing you have more continued recovery.
Sometimes you gotta wonder if its all worth it :-( :-( . Seems a high price to pay for a ride in the sun. I admire your wife's tenacity and wish her all the best ..... you too . Crashes like this affect the whole family, especially partners / wifes/ husbands. I reckon Dianne came off worse than me ..... and she wasn't even there :)
giocast

Post by giocast »

partners/wives/husbands :- when the going gets tough you find out if you picked the right one - sounds like you really did Hamish :beer:
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

Mc tool wrote: Sometimes you gotta wonder if its all worth it :-( :-( . Seems a high price to pay for a ride in the sun. I admire your wife's tenacity and wish her all the best ..... you too . Crashes like this affect the whole family, especially partners / wifes/ husbands. I reckon Dianne came off worse than me ..... and she wasn't even there :)
Yes. This body-crunching has my wife thinking about possibly giving it up, if not for any other reason than for our 7-yr old. The thing is, she won't give up riding until she at least gives it another honest attempt. She refuses to let someone take her ability to ride away from her, if she can help it. Since 2006, when she started riding her own bike, again, she's been using Pingel electric shifters to change gears for her. :thumbup:

You are also correct that this takes its toll on the family, too. Our daughter cried for a couple of evenings when her mother couldn't come home with us and she was told she couldn't spend the night in the hospital with "mom". I've also been doing a lot of chores that I normally don't do, such as clean the dishes, do the laundry, mow the lawn, pick up the house, take care of the dogs, empty the cat litter box, go grocery shopping, etc, and this is on top of working a weird schedule of day and night shifts at 40+ hours a week and teaching an online class. I won't even go into having to empty her bedside commode bucket for her, since there are no bathrooms on that level of the house. :(

Since the accident nearly a month ago, I did finally take a couple of bikes for a spin. I shuffled bikes from one location to another (from outside into the house and vs. versa), and instead of just swapping them, I took both of them for a 5-mile spin around the perimeter of the subdivision before parking them again. It felt good to be back on a bike, but it was scary that if anything happened to me, we wouldn't have anyone available to take care of our daughter....If the wife quits riding, I may quit, too....and either buy a Ferrari or buy a small Cessna and get my pilot's license. :mrgreen:
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)