Looking at buying a 1995 900SS CR - Please advise

Chat about anything not Paso related here
Sol

Looking at buying a 1995 900SS CR - Please advise

Post by Sol »

Hello all:
I am looking at a used 1995 Ducat 900SS/CR. I test drove it, but didn't really go fast and ride it out. It sounds very well, and rides well too. It has some custom stuff such as a corbin seat, and exhausts. But other than that it's pretty much stock. it has about 13k miles on it and the guy is asking USDollar 3,700 for it. It has a stiff accelerator and a very dry clutch.

Does anyone think it's a good deal and why (or why not)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
-Sol
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

I had a '95 CR and liked it a lot. $3700 doesn't sound bad... you might be able to find one a bit cheaper but not by much?

Mine had pipes, was rejetted, re geared, and that was about it. It wasn't the fastest thing in town but it was fun. I'd like to get another one someday!
-Craig
Sol

Post by Sol »

Thanks DesmoDog! That was pretty useful to me.

Actually, since your name is Desmo dog, you might know much more about this than me. What exactly is the desmo process. I would like to ask this owner, if he ever performed this on the bike.

Thanks again.

-S
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

By 'desmp process' do you mean check the valve service? At 13k he should've had done twice by now (well, three times, including the 600 mile break-in), and have a relatively new set of belts on there to boot. It's worthwhile to ask about his maintenance records, and - IMO - not impolite to do so, either. If you're about to hand over $3700, it's more than fair to find out (beforehand!) how the bike was taken care of and what maintenance you should look forward to, and when. If he hasn't changed the belts by 13k, make that the first thing you do after you pull it into the garage.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

Sol wrote:Thanks DesmoDog! That was pretty useful to me.

Actually, since your name is Desmo dog, you might know much more about this than me. What exactly is the desmo process. I would like to ask this owner, if he ever performed this on the bike.

Thanks again.

-S
Desmo is simply a term for the valvetrain... short for Desmodromic - it doesn't use a spring to close the valve. It's not a process so much as a method...

http://www.teamyikes.com/bikecentral.html is a page on my site that talks about it a little.
-Craig